Thread: Ultralight gear
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2t View Post
I plan to buy an ultralight rod/reel combo from Cabelas to dedicate for my TM fishing. There are all kinds of 50 dollar combos and I'm wondering if they're any good or not even worth it and I should get a much more expensive setup. Has anyone had experience with the less expensive Cabelas brand?
I have used both....and I can tell you when using 2# test line you better have good gear. You may have seen my posts and know that I fish almost exclusively the Trout Magnet. Don't skimp on a good reel with a great drag. If you mostly fish on weekends you could get away with Shimano Sahara....Pfluger President....so on. But if you fish 3 or more days per week I would step up to a Shimano Stradic....Pfluger Supreme XT. The fifty-nine to seventy-nine dollar reels hold up fine for weekend fishing and the same reels in the larger size will hold up well even if you fish 4 days a week. But the UL reels....the Shimano 1000 series....Pfluger 25 series just can't take that beating day after day unless you step up to the pricer reels in the same series. As for a rod the cheaper ones will have more glass in them and will hold up OK. The pricer rods will have more graphite.....and be more sensitive. On the rod side just make sure you have good guides. I have no experience with Cabelas reels. I have purchased a lot of gear from Cabelas but no Cabelas branded fishing reels or rods.

regards