View Single Post
Old 02-23-2016, 05:09 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX View Post
From what experience I have with the mapping it's useless without a map chip. Not all lakes are covered on the chip though. Alpha do you run the HD transducer or the stock one that comes with the unit? I am not super impressed with the SI images I am getting with the stock transducer on my bird. I adjust the setting everytime I get on the water to make them read the best I can.
I don't have a map card either.....but since getting the boat will get one. The internal mapping is pretty much as you say. That is another issue with any of these units...no matter the brand...do they have the "good" maps of the lake you want? I do have the HD transducer but rarely run it in HD mode...meaning I rarely ever use 800kHz. The reason for this is 455kHz will scan out at 180 degrees and the 800 kHz will not....not sure of the degrees but it is less than 180. But the reason for having the HD transducer is you will get a better image using the 455kHz with an HD transducer over the compact transducer due to the size of the piezo chrystals in transducer being larger. Take a look sometime at a Lowrance Structure Scan transducer....much larger compared to a HB HD si transducer....thus the Lowrance will give a slightly better image. I'm happy with my images...I just need a larger...brighter screen...as the Helix 12 is. I do make adjustments most of the time I go out.

Regards