View Single Post
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by agelesssone View Post
Alpha, is that 15 inch length limit just for Pickwick or does it apply to other bodies of water?
The 15 inch limit has been in place on all reservoirs that I know of for years...except at Kentucky Lake which is the body of water Pickwick tailrace is located in. It has been 14 inches there as long as I can remember. I think that is the reason so many anglers travel to Pickwick Dam to fish the tailrace each year for sauger. I guess TWRA thought it needed to be raised as to the rest of the state I suppose it is to protect the specie but I know all the locals are not happy about it. But if that is what the TWRA thinks it should be we will just have to go along. Below the dam there is the only place I could ever get a limit of sauger. I have caught one or two in other places that were just at the 15 inch mark but that was it...all the other fish were short. I ran into a guy today I have fished with in the winter the past 10 years down there. First time he has seen me in 2 years...he thought I had died...LOL. But he is going to hit it hard for sauger through February as he feels the days of sauger limits will be numbered down there with the new length limit. I don't know what is the deal with sauger. There are tons of them you can catch that are one or two inches short of 15 inches and I always think that the next year I will catch tons of legal fish....but that never works out. So what happens to all those short fish in the next year? Each year still catch fish one or two inches short. I don't have a clue what happens to them but one would think all those fish would grow.

Regards