View Single Post
Old 05-16-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpondmanager View Post
Hybrid bluegill definitely do breed, and their offspring have significantly less growth potential than the parents do - it's called outbreeding depression, and is why I never stock them. There's one pond I work with that has them via someone else, and they do sometimes get big, but pure-strain bluegill get bigger when properly managed.

By the way, thanks for your consideration of me, and also thanks to J&SCattleCo.
No problem the internet is a wild place.

OK that makes sense then. From what I was told those were the only gills ever put in the pond. I kept wondering why I kept catching the small ones if the hybrids were stocked 4-5 years ago.

He has expressed interest in getting the pond stocked with more fish if your interested please PM me your info and I'll pass it along.

I don't know the exact history of the pond and when I was given permission he said he really didn't know if there were fish still in it. I can tell you it is spring fed and according to him has never gone dry or gone down more than 2 feet. There are a ton of small <1lb LM bass, the hybrid brim and the smaller ones (though there doesn't seem to be a lot of the small ones) and channel cats. Last weekend I caught 5 cats that scaled between 5-8lbs and one that threw the hook at the bank that would have been over 10 easily.

I don't know if it would be worth him stocking it. And it would be hard to start over. I think it would be hard to drain because of the spring feed and I would hate for him to lose those gorgeous cats.

Sent from my Droid Bionic complete with typos and sarcasm.