View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler View Post
I'm with you Randy. I have a set of Bogas that I have certified through the IGFA, and that's good enough for me, and a decent camera.

Jeremy
One of the things I like about kayak tournament fishing........is the way fish are photographed and released. I never posted about it but this past summer while fishing some Gill beds at Pickwick from the bank I thought there had been a fish kill. Then it occurred to me that it was only largemouth floating.....around 30 of them in the 2 to 3 pound range.....and I only walked about 40 yards of the bank. Then it hit me...I was fishing at the spot they did tournament weigh ins and release...and this was a Monday and they had a tournament that Sunday. Made me sick. Those fish had been in hot live wells all day and maybe they were alive when released but they were in no shape to make it. As everyone knows I panfish a lot. But if I get that 12 inch Gill...or 17 inch plus crappie...it is going back. Those fish probably have the genes that helped them to get that size and they need to be allowed to have thousands of off spring to give the lake some real trophies....same with bass and all fish. I know this can be a hot button issue but practicing catch and release on trophy sized fish just benefits us all. The IGFA has started a good thing...IMHO. It is the all tackle length record for fish. Send in the photo and that is all there is to it. I have looked at the records.....I have caught many fish much longer than what there so far records are.....of course not many are aware of this I don't think. The only caveat is you must purchase their measuring device...about 50 bucks I think. Sure beats killing the fish.

Regards