View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txnative View Post
The usual tailwater lure, bucktail jig, works. You have to match weight to current, though, and still be able to cast it far enough to get to where the fish are. I use either a 7 1/2 ft med-heavy inshore spinning rod with 20 lb fireline crystal on a 4000 size reel or a 9 ft surf rod with 30 lb fireline on a 4000 size reel...depending on what I'm throwing and how far I have to get my lure.

It's a lot of work to deal with stripers below center hill due to the high oxygen levels giving them a "turbo gear," but it's as fun as anything you can do with your clothes on when 20-30 lbers are hitting your bait on every cast for 2 1/2 hrs (maybe longer, but I was too sore to go on dealing with them). This is NOT a common scenario, I lucked into a bite like that 2 years ago in much different conditions than they are now, but if only 1 fish is around, I'd make every effort to catch it. A reel screaming in pain as a big striper burns off 100+ yards of line is music to my ears.

By the way, take extra lures and line...some of the fish in the caney are more than anything but stand-up gear can handle from the bank...I've lost more than my share of gear (and sleep) chasing the smaller (30 and under) ones only to have a monster whip my...well, you know.

Chris

Well immediately after this month work will slow down and my fishing season begins. I plan to stock up on some fresh trout first which should be easy. Conservationists, leave me alone. Yes I eat fish that I catch because it's very healthy to do so. Eating fish from WalMart (from China sewage ponds)...not so much. Back to fishing, after I have some trout, I'm dedicating the rest of my time strictly to striper fishing. I'm going to make an order from Cabelas specifically for this purpose. I have in my "cart" a silver spoon, GULP money minnow swimbaits, and a big Rapala stickbait that I think resembles a shad pretty well. Any other tips?

I feel bad for people who don't hunt and fish. They never get to experience God's creation the way we do.

SUMKINA Bait Company Prostaff