View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 08:16 PM

Default A few hours 2/04 at Center Hill Dam

Well, I finally just put up with the rain and went to throw a few lures for a few hours down below Center Hill on the Caney. First cast, I tossed a spoon as far as I could and let it sink, Wham, it got nailed. My drag screamed for a bit and then had some good headshakes! I thought forsure nice walleye or trout or small striper. But while very fun to catch, was a bit disappointed to see this about 5-6 pound drum! Oh well, like I said, fun to catch and a drum is better than a skunk!!

I tossed the spoon for about a half hour longer with out a hit. I switched to a Husky jerk and about 5th cast in, had a huge, 23-25" brown swing and miss right at shore! My biggest brown is a 16 incher. This got my heart pounding! Over the next 5 casts, I had 3 NICE trout follow to the shore, whether it was the same one, or different fish. Then it slowed down a bit, I moved down shore a bit and again, had another mid 20's trout swing and miss about 5 feet from shore! Next cast, a smaller one almost tore the rod out of my hand! I got her in and I would estimate about 18-19", just a guess. Boy she was fat though, probably 6" from belly to top of back! After that I had no more action.

I am new to this trout scene, especially the browns. Is it common to get short hits and follows? These trout were very NICE! The ones that missed were much larger than the one I caught.

Anyways, took a few pics when I got the fish to shore. Glad I got the energy to get out!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0006.jpg (120.3 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0008.jpg (140.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0020.jpg (125.7 KB, 124 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0033.jpg (145.0 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0034.jpg (155.3 KB, 135 views)