Thread: Normandy Dam
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Master Trout Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd- View Post
You may be correct. In saying they stock browns, I was just going off information I had been told. I know they used to. I'm actually pretty glad to hear they've quit. Most years, we don't have enough brown trout to go around, since they are harder to raise in hatcheries than rainbows. Putting browns in the Duck was a waste.

In fact, I'd be perfectly happy if they would sluice a little water to warm up the tailrace and manage it as a trophy smallmouth fishery. Save the trout for waters where they have a shot of holding over - even some of the spring creeks like Mill, Charles, and Tumbling Creek would be better holdover fisheries than the Duck.

bd

I agree with you. I have fished there a lot.....and I don't think I have ever caught a Small Mouth. I have been fortunate enough to be there for the past 3 years when I have caught the Kentucky Bass coming up to the dam. It makes for maybe 4 or 5 days of great fishing....catching stocker Trout and a lot of one and two pound Kentucky's....then they are gone. I fish from the dam down to the first deep hole past the power line towers. It is just not a good tail race fishery and the only reason I can think it is not is water temperature....too cold.

Regards