FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Gear (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Cracked keel and interior ribs (aluminum) (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=9821)

Powerpro603 12-14-2014 04:15 PM

Cracked keel and interior ribs (aluminum)

I'm new here so I hope I posted this in the correct place.

I have a 1960 Feathercraft 14' Jon boat that has a crack in two interior ribs as well as the keel on the bottom in the same spot. I am a pretty good steel welder, Mig and Arc. I thought I'd take a shot at brazing (Oxygen / Acetylene) these ribs and keel, but every time it cools and I get in the boat (while trailered), the ribs crack right in the weld. I'm starting to think that brazing with an aluminum rod is not the answer due to strength of the weld material. Weld sticks on both sides, but it cracks right down the original break.

NEED HELP!!!

Pookie 12-14-2014 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerpro603 (Post 59740)
I'm new here so I hope I posted this in the correct place.

I have a 1960 Feathercraft 14' Jon boat that has a crack in two interior ribs as well as the keel on the bottom in the same spot. I am a pretty good steel welder, Mig and Arc. I thought I'd take a shot at brazing (Oxygen / Acetylene) these ribs and keel, but every time it cools and I get in the boat (while trailered), the ribs crack right in the weld. I'm starting to think that brazing with an aluminum rod is not the answer due to strength of the weld material. Weld sticks on both sides, but it cracks right down the original break.

NEED HELP!!!

Before you screw it up any worse, have a competent tig welder repair your boat. You can thank me later.

tkwalker 12-15-2014 12:14 AM

Yep ...<'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie (Post 59742)
Before you screw it up any worse, have a competent tig welder repair your boat. You can thank me later.

All you are doing is taking the temper out of the aluminum ... Which makes it more brittle ... :)

Powerpro603 12-15-2014 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 59756)
All you are doing is taking the temper out of the aluminum ... Which makes it more brittle ... :)

With welding or brazing? I know typically with steel, it depends on how hot you get the weld, you want it hot, but not too hot or you can make it brittle right beside the weld.

Anyway, I've given up on it, I know welding can get expensive (especially TIG) and I have a total of about 10 to 15 inches that needs to be welded / fixed. I found two more cracks elsewhere in the boat last night as I was tearing it down for scrap :(

But, I am now looking for a 14ft flatbottom if anyone knows of one in good shape for not too much $$$

Powerpro603 12-15-2014 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 59756)

Oh, TK, I need to come by your place. The motor I have is a 1956 Johnson Seahorse, 15hp. It has a 10hp hood on it and I was hoping you had a 15 that you wanted to get rid of, you know, in the way. lol

SAMBOLIE 12-16-2014 10:29 AM

You should have just used this spray.
No leaks in a boat with a screen door floor.
It has to be good because you saw it on an infomercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7p_U1-xcEk

SalmonDaze 12-16-2014 11:25 AM

You now have a very classy flower bed to place proudly in the front yard.
:D

Pookie 12-17-2014 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Powerpro603 (Post 59776)
last night as I was tearing it down for scrap

Don't sell it right now!!!

Scrap market is waaaayy down right now.

Jdkxtreme 12-17-2014 11:32 AM

Is it for sale? Or for free?

Powerpro603 12-17-2014 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdkxtreme (Post 59828)
Is it for sale? Or for free?

PM sent.