FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Sports Lounge - General (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Meat smokers? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=8521)

MNfisher 04-05-2014 05:30 PM

Meat smokers?

Anyone know of a place I can bring my turkey breasts to get smoked?

Thanks.

browntrout 04-05-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MNfisher (Post 48934)
Anyone know of a place I can bring my turkey breasts to get smoked?

Thanks.

If you are in no hurry I could get them and smoke them for you on my Big Green Egg. If not I am sure and BBQ joint around could do them for you.

Roy

MNfisher 04-05-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browntrout (Post 48936)
If you are in no hurry I could get them and smoke them for you on my Big Green Egg. If not I am sure and BBQ joint around could do them for you.

Roy

I am in no hurry, just don't know anything about smoking. And I am not super crazy about wild turkey meat. Usually a bit dry. But smoked i like it. Let me know!

Fish Whisperer 04-05-2014 05:50 PM

I rubbed butter on mine before seasoning it and smoking it on my big green egg.. Apple wood is my preferred wood to smoke turkey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jaycee 04-05-2014 07:14 PM

We always strip the breast and fry like chicken strips. Not good cooked like butterball turkey. Tough.

XxthejuicexX 04-05-2014 08:26 PM

If you smoke the turkey make sure you Brine it. That will make a huge difference. I have a buttermilk brine that I use on chicken that I am sure would be great on Turkey.

tkwalker 04-05-2014 11:14 PM

Uummm Turkey .. I assume wild <'TK><

Mike, If you smoke all you are going to do is turn it into tough Jerky ... My suggestion ... is strip it out into fingers and fry it ... That is about the most enjoyable return you will get from a wild Turkey Breast ... <'TK><

MNfisher 04-06-2014 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 48964)
Mike, If you smoke all you are going to do is turn it into tough Jerky ... My suggestion ... is strip it out into fingers and fry it ... That is about the most enjoyable return you will get from a wild Turkey Breast ... <'TK><

Hmmmm, I've had smoked wild turkey before and it was delicious! Decisions decisions.

Reel Tune 04-06-2014 09:41 PM

I've smoked several turkeys, and they came out delicious, and moist. Frying=Greasy
Baking=Dry
Smoking=Delicious, and moist

After smoking a turkey several years ago we swore to never bake another one. The fried are good, but I'm sure your arteries hate you for it.

tkwalker 04-06-2014 11:35 PM

Smoked Wild Turkey Breast .. <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler (Post 49005)
I've smoked several turkeys, and they came out delicious, and moist. Frying=Greasy
Baking=Dry
Smoking=Delicious, and moist

After smoking a turkey several years ago we swore to never bake another one. The fried are good, but I'm sure your arteries hate you for it.

Jeremy, would love to taste some juicy smoked Turkey ... I guess I had a bad experience with some Turkey from a guy who supposed to know what he was doing ?? >>>> <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune 04-07-2014 10:34 AM

Anyone can throw meat on a smoker and say they smoked meat. It's all in the preparation, patience, and care you take.

Buccaneer 04-07-2014 01:54 PM

My favorite thing to do with wild turkey breasts is to cut them in 1/4" strips maybe 1.5" wide and slow/low smoke them for jerky strips. The easiest way to control temp is with an electric cabinet style smoker. Seasoned with High Mountain jerky cure in hickory they come out great.

TNBronzeback 04-07-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 49079)
My favorite thing to do with wild turkey breasts is to cut them in 1/4" strips maybe 1.5" wide and slow/low smoke them for jerky strips. The easiest way to control temp is with an electric cabinet style smoker. Seasoned with High Mountain jerky cure in hickory they come out great.

High Mountain makes a MINT off of me every year. i buy thier jerky seasoning by the truck load. As far as store bought jerky seasoning goes, they by far, have the best tasting in my opinion.
I use it for Beef Jerky, Turkey jerky, Venison, Rabbit, squirrel. Thier sausage seasoning is good too!
Hmmmm, i might have to go buy a big roast tonight to make into jerky now! LOL

Pookie 04-07-2014 11:46 PM

No secret to smoking it, brine the meat over night before smoking.