FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Little Harpeth (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5229)

Nashville Dude 05-14-2012 05:48 PM

Little Harpeth

Tried a couple hours of bank fishing on the the Little Harpeth today in Edwin Warner Park. Caught a sunfish and my first ever small mouth, which was a lot of fun, even though it was only 11 inches or so long. Both on a Rooster Tail, which seems to be the only lure I ever catch anything on. Any other suggestions of lures to throw?

Greasy Ham 05-14-2012 06:25 PM

Small curlytail grub is a good creek/river bait. Also nightcrawlers or red wigglers.

Tennesseejugger 05-14-2012 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nashville Dude (Post 21502)
Tried a couple hours of bank fishing on the the Little Harpeth today in Edwin Warner Park. Caught a sunfish and my first ever small mouth, which was a lot of fun, even though it was only 11 inches or so long. Both on a Rooster Tail, which seems to be the only lure I ever catch anything on. Any other suggestions of lures to throw?

Go get you a KVD 1.5 sexy shad crank bait by StrikeKing!

bd- 05-14-2012 08:31 PM

I like finesse baits for fishing creeks and shallow rivers instead of larger crankbaits and spinnerbaits. Soft plastics like Charlie Brewer Sliders and Case Hellgrammites are a reliable choice. Tube jigs and unweighted flukes are a good choice too. I like Rapala floating minnows for topwater.

bd

Nashville Dude 05-14-2012 10:17 PM

Thanks guys. I will have to pick up some of those lures and give them a try.

bigben30 05-14-2012 10:48 PM

Try to fish close to the soccer fields in bellevue behind home depot ive caught a boat load of crappie there and ive seen some big cat fish and a few bass swimming around there

Greasy Ham 05-14-2012 11:32 PM

Also behind the movie theater near the shoneys there is a pretty big pond that is all overflow from when the river floods. There are bass there also. Hard to catch them but they are there.

Tennesseejugger 05-15-2012 06:31 AM

The KVD 1.5 is not a large crankbait and you will do wonders in creeks with it!

jad2t 05-15-2012 01:11 PM

Just curious, you are always mentioning the KVD sexy shad 1.5...what is it about that crankbait that you think has brought you so much success with it? I saw them in WalMart yesterday and almost bought one.

Tennesseejugger 05-15-2012 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 21601)
Just curious, you are always mentioning the KVD sexy shad 1.5...what is it about that crankbait that you think has brought you so much success with it? I saw them in WalMart yesterday and almost bought one.

Not sure really, maybe the color that action, I alway like square bills anyways. But All I can tell you is when you throw that sucker out there and bring it back with a swift retrieve it will catch fish! I think that I have proved that with all the pics that I have posted. I try to locate suspended bait and throw it about 10 to 15 yards passed them and that is when I do the best. It is also awesome around structure and cover, but cat past it and get those reaction strikes!

jad2t 05-15-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger (Post 21602)
Not sure really, maybe the color that action, I alway like square bills anyways. But All I can tell you is when you throw that sucker out there and bring it back with a swift retrieve it will catch fish! I think that I have proved that with all the pics that I have posted. I try to locate suspended bait and throw it about 10 to 15 yards passed them and that is when I do the best. It is also awesome around structure and cover, but cat past it and get those reaction strikes!

I like crankbaits but my killer crank that is the one I always turn to first is the Bomber Model A crank... firetiger color. I have a couple others that catch fish here and there but nothing beats that firetiger one. I may pick up one of those KVD cranks and give it a shot sometime

Tennesseejugger 05-15-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 21604)
I like crankbaits but my killer crank that is the one I always turn to first is the Bomber Model A crank... firetiger color. I have a couple others that catch fish here and there but nothing beats that firetiger one. I may pick up one of those KVD cranks and give it a shot sometime

You need to and I will pick up a Bomber model A Firetiger, do they have those at Wal-Mart?

jad2t 05-15-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger (Post 21605)
You need to and I will pick up a Bomber model A Firetiger, do they have those at Wal-Mart?

I haven't seen them in there, not the Model A anyway. I order mine from Cabelas. I've seen them in Dicks though.

Tennesseejugger 05-15-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 21606)
I haven't seen them in there, not the Model A anyway. I order mine from Cabelas. I've seen them in Dicks though.

Ok thanks

bd- 05-15-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennesseejugger (Post 21560)
The KVD 1.5 is not a large crankbait and you will do wonders in creeks with it!

I'll put a slider or a case hellgrammite up against it any day in a small creek.

bd