FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How is this crisis affecting your lives? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13459)

Texas_Rig 03-17-2020 12:40 PM

How is this crisis affecting your lives?

Feel free to move this to it's proper home if this isn't appropriate in this forum. Have you guys changed your daily routines to combat this hysteria that our country faces? Personally I haven't so far but I'm not the most social person around either. My time is spent working, fishing, and at home anyway. I also wonder exactly how long this thing has been around. Back just before Xmas, I got sick. It started with a very dry cough that I could not shake. I never go to the doctor and it was bad enough that I did. The doctor told me that I tested negative for the flu but I had a virus that had turned into an upper respiratory infection. I was given antibiotics and cough medicine and sent home. The entirety of my illness lasted about 2 weeks.

SAMBOLIE 03-17-2020 02:54 PM

I should probably take more precautions than I do. We stocked up on major items last week. Still have had to make a couple trips to the store.
If you had a virus it ran it's course. Antibiotics are ineffective against a virus.

Texas_Rig 03-17-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 87477)
I should probably take more precautions than I do. We stocked up on major items last week. Still have had to make a couple trips to the store.
If you had a virus it ran it's course. Antibiotics are ineffective against a virus.

Someone else mentioned that to me as well but that’s what I was given

TroutFiend 03-17-2020 04:55 PM

I had both strains of the flu, 1st this Christmas. 2nd in February. The second one kicked my butt. Had a dry cough for weeks. I am 40 and very active married with 4 kids. Me and my dad have a small hvac business and have been busy with storm damage work and regular calls. This area has so much work going on right now with new construction and repairs it doesn’t seem to ever slow down despite the virus situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fairweatherfisherman 03-17-2020 05:32 PM

Wife and I just finished our 5th quarantine day (not sick). We are old but luckily in very good health. We’re 99% retired and the work I do is from home. We ordered a ton of coffee beans from our local coffee shop. Ordered in groceries from Publix.

FishAddict 03-17-2020 08:07 PM

For once I got lucky- luck is not a usual thing for me. Just finished up a multi year building/engineering project in Canada just last Thursday, and on Sunday was diagnosed with Influenza type A. Had that hit me last week I would have been stuck in a semi-foreign country (South Canada just doesn't seem foreign) in the middle of a pandemic. My wife has been great and has taken care of supplies, we are fine. I don't expect to be too affected as I'm salaried, and the only engineer in the company. I'm a bit of a nerdy hand washer/sanitizer/germ freak, and would love to know where I lost my diligence, maybe it was on an airplane. But in my home environment I think I will be able to fully avoid this.

FishAddict 03-17-2020 08:14 PM

TX Rig you were likely given antibiotics for the upper respiratory infection, not the virus, even though the virus is what brought that on. And yes antibiotics kill bacteria not viruses, but your viral infection likely was either done or about done.

Flatline 03-17-2020 09:23 PM

I haven't trucked since the 15th of Dec, just returned from New Brunswick Canada last week as well. This week they tested a handful in the central part this week. So like Fishaddict, I returned just in time. I've always been one to be well stocked to begin with. I did buy some more meats that was on sale, other than that I have most everything I need.

I've not changed much except going to my little neighborhood bar, her country style cooking is great, but then again so is mine.. LOL Actually I've been nose deep in doing my taxes for the business. After that I have to run to Nashville to get tags for my truck. I hope they will be open for business.

I'm hoping that it will quit raining after all this to give me a few days of fishing.

Its frustrating to see people carry on like the end of the world is coming to an end the way they are buying up everything in sight.

SalmonDaze 03-18-2020 11:53 AM

I don't care how bad it gets . . . I am SO grateful we live where we do and NOT in a city - at the mercy of every supply chain known to man, and living shoulder to shoulder with the other humans.

Buccaneer 03-18-2020 07:35 PM

I don’t really care about the Coronavirus. What pisses me off is this never ending rain. Today’s rain with ambient temps near 70 would normally mean tomorrow would be game on in the shallows with red square bills and bladed jigs but no, another 3+ inches coming and cold front for the weekend. Work from home they said, hell yes said I. WTF can I get a break around here?!

culprit7.5 03-19-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buccaneer (Post 87487)
I don’t really care about the Coronavirus. What pisses me off is this never ending rain. Today’s rain with ambient temps near 70 would normally mean tomorrow would be game on in the shallows with red square bills and bladed jigs but no, another 3+ inches coming and cold front for the weekend. Work from home they said, hell yes said I. WTF can I get a break around here?!

TRUTH!! I do care about any virus though, but Lord, right on with red square bills. Don't forget that craw colored shad rap...

culprit7.5 03-19-2020 08:36 AM

All rods cleaned, line guides cleaned, reels cleaned and lubed, new line on reels, tackle boxes inventoried, purged and organized. Replacing fuel line on boat today.
I think Samsonite should sponsor me since my tackle bag weighs 438# and is half the size of my boat.

Schleprock 03-19-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 87476)
Feel free to move this to it's proper home if this isn't appropriate in this forum. Have you guys changed your daily routines to combat this hysteria that our country faces? Personally I haven't so far but I'm not the most social person around either. My time is spent working, fishing, and at home anyway. I also wonder exactly how long this thing has been around. Back just before Xmas, I got sick. It started with a very dry cough that I could not shake. I never go to the doctor and it was bad enough that I did. The doctor told me that I tested negative for the flu but I had a virus that had turned into an upper respiratory infection. I was given antibiotics and cough medicine and sent home. The entirety of my illness lasted about 2 weeks.

Went on vacation to Austin Tx and 5 of us came home sick , was worried it was corona but my brother who lives in Seattle was tested and it came back negative so we have that going for us which is nice

I have to say this hysteria has caused me some great anxiety , my wife works for a swedish company and her job has been in flux over the tariffs already so don't know whats going to happen with this economy , also worried about my kids and their families in this uncertain time, on the fishing side I was killing them before sickness shut me down, my first couple days back from Austin resulted in two 5+ and a 6.8 , today was the first time I was able to take the boat out in a week, horrible day, boated one fish 4lb and lost 4 fish one looked close to 7 trying to net it and missed it and she shook and spit the lipless

Flatline 03-20-2020 12:44 PM

Day 10 and I haven't been able to find any toilet paper, flour is almost non existent and sugar is at a minimum at best. Then of course I've only been out 4 times twice at walmart, once at Sav way in Carthage for meat sale and yesterday at Krogers. I should be good for a couple months, but I can't help but to think when will people stop buying everything in sight..?

The way I see it is we won't see this peak for another week or two... then you're looking at another 2 weeks recovery with more getting infected meanwhile... I'm thinking this is going to linger for at least another month at least. I'd say this thing isn't going to ease up until the middle / end of April.

Oh now they are talking that this virus is another form of the SARS virus of 2003 with a 80% similarity according to some biologist.

I am not a doom & gloom type person however since my business is in direct reflection of how well the economy is functioning... My next worry will be... Is this virus going to throw the world into a recession ? Not to mention world govts are throwing money they don't have at this mess to help stabilize economies...

SAMBOLIE 03-20-2020 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 87495)
Oh now they are talking that this virus is another form of the SARS virus of 2003 with a 80% similarity according to some biologist.

I had SARS in 2013. Did not affect my lungs that I noticed. I had high fever and was too weak to get out of bed. Spent 3 or 4 days in hospital with antibiotic IV whole time.
I read that this was form of SARS. If both are viruses I don't understand how antibiotics helped me. Maybe it was to keep bacteria down and the virus ran it's course. Also I was nor quarantined in the room.

Stay well all.