FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fly Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13339)

Flatline 12-26-2019 09:40 PM

Fly Fishing

I'm going thru my fathers belongings which includes his fishing stuff. I found 3 fly rods, one is called Rose Wood and also found a box of poppers.. I'm not really interested in trout fishing.. Has anyone ever done any fly fishing for crappie or anything else ?

Dakota 12-26-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 87045)
I'm going thru my fathers belongings which includes his fishing stuff. I found 3 fly rods, one is called Rose Wood and also found a box of poppers.. I'm not really interested in trout fishing.. Has anyone ever done any fly fishing for crappie or anything else ?

Haven’t seen anyone fly fish for Crappie, but I’ve seen fly fisherman at the Old Hickory steam plant fishing for stripers and even skipjack. Also in the spring fly fishing for hybrid on Percy Priest.

Alan 54 12-26-2019 11:45 PM

Fly fishing for crappie and gills can be lots of fun when they are shallow. Spring spawn can be a blast.

buickfan70 12-27-2019 12:09 PM

Fly fishing for Bluegills is a blast and once in a while a nice bass or catfish will hit a tiny fly and what fun that is!!!

culprit7.5 12-27-2019 02:25 PM

Yes, largemouth and smallmouth on streamer patterns as well as topwater poppers, and bluegill on most any small bug pattern they can see. Take it out and have some fun.

wormdunker 12-28-2019 06:55 PM

I don't fly fish, but I used to rig up a spinning reel on a fly rod and throw jigs to catch crappie. It is a blast to catch them on the fly rod. Reminds me that I need to try that again.

Flatline 12-29-2019 12:19 AM

I'm thinking how one could stand on the bow of one's boat working that fly, no trees limbs to worry about and if one happens to catch a yacker thru the nose while he's paddling behind you... well tough luck for him... LOL

tkwalker 12-29-2019 11:43 AM

Mmmmm <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 87056)
I'm thinking how one could stand on the bow of one's boat working that fly, no trees limbs to worry about and if one happens to catch a yacker thru the nose while he's paddling behind you... well tough luck for him... LOL

Now lets not pick on the yackers... But jet skiers is a different ballgame.... :mad:

Flatline 12-29-2019 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 87061)
Now lets not pick on the yackers... But jet skiers is a different ballgame.... :mad:

Hahahahahaha

This evening I found 2 nicely organized boxes of both dry and wet flies to go along with a box of poppers and streamers...

Last yr I spent hundreds on new tackle, bait casters and now it seems like faith is pushing me towards a completely differently kind of fishing... hummmm

XxthejuicexX 12-29-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 87062)
Hahahahahaha

This evening I found 2 nicely organized boxes of both dry and wet flies to go along with a box of poppers and streamers...

Last yr I spent hundreds on new tackle, bait casters and now it seems like faith is pushing me towards a completely differently kind of fishing... hummmm

Join the fly fishing club! Fly fishing is all I've done for the last few months, I'm in love with it.

agelesssone 12-29-2019 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 87062)
Hahahahahaha

FATE....not faith...just sayin

Flatline 12-30-2019 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 87064)
FATE....not faith...just sayin

Yea yea yea ... :D

FishAddict 12-30-2019 01:37 PM

Pull out the fly rods and put on a popper or a sponge bug when we have a mayfly hatch. That's a good way to get broken in on a fly rod. You can screw up your casts and it just doesn't matter.

Buzzy15 12-30-2019 03:50 PM

Its a lot of fun and a nice change of pace. Learning do it just gives you another way to catch fish. In the summer I will bring the fly to catch bluegills for catfish bait. You can catch skipjack with them too.

Flatline 12-30-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzzy15 (Post 87068)
Its a lot of fun and a nice change of pace. Learning do it just gives you another way to catch fish. In the summer I will bring the fly to catch bluegills for catfish bait. You can catch skipjack with them too.

Very true... I fly fished when I was younger, 14-15 yrs old for trout. I wasn't too bad at it either, again that was 45 yrs ago. My eyes don't see those tiny things so good..