FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thanksgiving at the Hill (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13306)

Texas_Rig 11-28-2019 07:08 PM

Thanksgiving at the Hill

5 Attachment(s)
I haven't missed a day fishing on Thanksgiving or Christmas in the last 5 years. I went to Center Hill today and had a blast. I had the smallmouth and spots figured out pretty good. I had to leave early because I got called into work or I may have had one of my best days in a while. I never caught a largemouth and I never caught a fish in less than 15 feet of water. Very steep points and banks leading into pockets was the key for me. I also caught a few on deep flats on the edge of really deep water.

Schleprock 11-29-2019 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 86918)
I haven't missed a day fishing on Thanksgiving or Christmas in the last 5 years. I went to Center Hill today and had a blast. I had the smallmouth and spots figured out pretty good. I had to leave early because I got called into work or I may have had one of my best days in a while. I never caught a largemouth and I never caught a fish in less than 15 feet of water. Very steep points and banks leading into pockets was the key for me. I also caught a few on deep flats on the edge of really deep water.

Those spots are impressive , not bad smallies either

What was you throwing?

Texas_Rig 11-29-2019 10:20 PM

Yea those stupid pictures cost me $20. Lol. My two biggest spots both weighed 3lbs 3ounces each. I caught a few smallmouth and ended up having 2 over the 18" size limit. My buddy was giving me a hard time about posting 2 pictures of the same fish. I told him that they were 2 different fish and he bet me $20 that they were the same. Knowing that they were different; I accepted his bet. Well he was right. I had taken a couple different pictures because at least for me it's kinda hard to take a decent selfie with a fish and I had actually posted the same fish 2x. Anyway I caught most of my fish on a Texas rigged rage bug with a 1/2 ounce tungsten sinker and I caught a few fish on a 3/4 ounce biffle hardhead swinging football head with a biffle bug on it.

Schleprock 11-30-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 86929)
Yea those stupid pictures cost me $20. Lol. My two biggest spots both weighed 3lbs 3ounces each. I caught a few smallmouth and ended up having 2 over the 18" size limit. My buddy was giving me a hard time about posting 2 pictures of the same fish. I told him that they were 2 different fish and he bet me $20 that they were the same. Knowing that they were different; I accepted his bet. Well he was right. I had taken a couple different pictures because at least for me it's kinda hard to take a decent selfie with a fish and I had actually posted the same fish 2x. Anyway I caught most of my fish on a Texas rigged rage bug with a 1/2 ounce tungsten sinker and I caught a few fish on a 3/4 ounce biffle hardhead swinging football head with a biffle bug on it.

Lol, you should pay him in pennies

SAMBOLIE 12-01-2019 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 86932)
Lol, you should pay him in pennies

Put the pennies in a jar of honey or syrup.

titansfan2104 12-05-2019 10:21 PM

Just wondering if yall ever use any red or crawfish colored rat-l-traps or similar bait (maybe even a chatterbait) while paralleling the deep bluffs/banks?

skillet 12-06-2019 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titansfan2104 (Post 86950)
Just wondering if yall ever use any red or crawfish colored rat-l-traps or similar bait (maybe even a chatterbait) while paralleling the deep bluffs/banks?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Texas_Rig 12-06-2019 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by titansfan2104 (Post 86950)

I don't but I should. It's so hard for me not to throw a spinnerbait in that situation that I never throw a trap. Really the only time I throw a trap is when the fish first move up super shallow in the pre-spawn which for me is usually mid February to mid March. I don't throw a lipless crankbait near enough. But it's one of my go to baits early spring that I don't talk about to much. Those big prespawn females love to eat that thing

skillet 12-07-2019 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 86954)
I don't but I should. It's so hard for me not to throw a spinnerbait in that situation that I never throw a trap. Really the only time I throw a trap is when the fish first move up super shallow in the pre-spawn which for me is usually mid February to mid March. I don't throw a lipless crankbait near enough. But it's one of my go to baits early spring that I don't talk about to much. Those big prespawn females love to eat that thing

I throw them year round. During the summer the bite is a lot slower. Fall-winter and early spring, it’s on the deck. I use different off the wall colors that they don’t see and it tends to work in my favor sometimes. Also, look on YouTube for Scott Martin fishing hacks. He has a really good tip for lipless cranks.

skillet 12-07-2019 05:52 PM

You’re welcome 😊

https://youtu.be/YHRzLu_ytQ4

Schleprock 12-07-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillet (Post 86968)
You’re welcome 😊

https://youtu.be/YHRzLu_ytQ4

Do you rig all of yours with the line through or just the 3/4 size? what are your go to brands?

I just started focusing on lipless this past spring and have caught a lot of fish on them, mostly chrome colors around bass feeding on shad schools and even caught some stripers on them , this fall when I was struggling to catch bass I tried a crawl color in the grass and for some reason it worked , so much for match the hatch

I literally have over $200 in lipless, just about every color and several brands, my favorite so far is the YoZuri rattlin vibe , just seems to get more bites than the Red Eye shad or original trap , also done well with the Booyah one knocker

Texas_Rig 12-08-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skillet (Post 86967)
I throw them year round. During the summer the bite is a lot slower. Fall-winter and early spring, it’s on the deck. I use different off the wall colors that they don’t see and it tends to work in my favor sometimes. Also, look on YouTube for Scott Martin fishing hacks. He has a really good tip for lipless cranks.

I watched that video the other day. It's a pretty neat idea. I just wonder if the hook will stay in place and not fold up the side of the crankbait

Schleprock 12-08-2019 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 86971)
I watched that video the other day. It's a pretty neat idea. I just wonder if the hook will stay in place and not fold up the side of the crankbait

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxw6oIO5hk

Jenko makes a line through lipless

titansfan2104 12-10-2019 11:49 PM

Good Video!!

skillet 12-11-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 86975)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sxw6oIO5hk

Jenko makes a line through lipless

That’s interesting. But I’m not gonna run out and a bunch when I have a box full and can do the trick Scott has out. Honestly doubt I do what he did unless I lose a few fish in one day.