FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Old Hickory Has Me Stumped (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12154)

TNewsome 07-02-2017 11:32 PM

Old Hickory Has Me Stumped

I live near Bartons Creek area and have been fishing Old Hickory a lot lately. Today was my third trip out in the past week, and I finally - finally - caught a fish. Two. Caught two today on a bandit crank bait at the mouth of Sandy Chapel.

I can go out on JPP and catch fish almost anytime. I went to JPP on Sat night and caught several. I use 3.5 inch tubes Texas Rigged or regular watermelon red flukes T-rigged. Crankbaits get the job done there too at times.

But Old Hickory has kicked my tail. I have literally tried everything I can think of without much luck. I've tried jigs, worms, shakey heads, dark spinner baits at night, crank baits. I've targeted lumber in shallow water, and I've tried 6-10 feet water near the channel.

Maybe the fishing this time of year is just tough? If anyone has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate it. It's awful having boat ramps this close to the house and not have a clue how to catch the fish around here. Hate having to drive to JPP and fight the boat traffic.

Thanks for any help.

Texas_Rig 07-03-2017 12:40 AM

U sir are not alone. It has kicked mine lately to. The only advice I can give you is to graph a lot. You might find a school. Or just flip everything you think might hold a fish.

lforet2002 07-03-2017 05:08 AM

The last few times I've been to Old Hick, the fish were in deep water. We would look for shelves and drop offs to 30ft of water and troll deep diving cranks.

Dakota 07-03-2017 10:58 AM

Very humbling lake for sure. This time a year I stick to topwater in the grass any time of the day. Then 6XD deep diving cranks. Some Carolina rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinwheeled 07-03-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 78965)
U sir are not alone. It has kicked mine lately to. The only advice I can give you is to graph a lot. You might find a school. Or just flip everything you think might hold a fish.

This... and if you find a school drag a C-Rig, Crankbait, large worm, spoon etc through it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adrian 07-03-2017 12:53 PM

I'm glad someone else said something... I've had the same experience, & I have to say, this has been the Worst year in the last 10 years! Everywhere I go just looks like death. Sure, I've picked up the occasional dink here and there off of wood or a 6XD in 10' of water, but for the most part, I feel like I'm fishing where the fish ain't :) It's almost as if the lake has turned over or something. It's about to piss me off! On a lighter note, if white bass is your thing, you can catch 100s of those on about any flat you can find.

Halli 07-03-2017 02:58 PM

They just came off spawn. Hit the grass early then as the sun rises get deeper.

It's not the Bass you should learn and follow but the forage like shad and ect.

I turn to night fishing once the BONEHEADS that have wave board boats and ect hit the lake and have even had them come near me at 5:30 am SOB's

Texas_Rig 07-03-2017 10:23 PM

I went out this afternoon and actually caught about 15. All were caught on wood. I was either flipping a tube or throwing a spinnerbait. Both produced about the same. I caught them from 1-10 feet of water

Texas_Rig 07-04-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halli (Post 78973)
They just came off spawn. Hit the grass early then as the sun rises get deeper.

It's not the Bass you should learn and follow but the forage like shad and ect.

I turn to night fishing once the BONEHEADS that have wave board boats and ect hit the lake and have even had them come near me at 5:30 am SOB's

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I completely understand your frustration with pleasure boaters. Last week we went to Center Hill one afternoon and fished all night. I was fishing a point leading into a creek when 2 guys on a jet ski came flying by me. One of them ran between my boat and the point I was fishing. I couldn't believe it. I just started videoing my fishing and my gopro recorded the whole thing. I would post the video but I don't know how to edit out the sound bc I had a few choice words for this guy. My reaction was actually kind of embarrassing to me after I watched it. I knew I was mad but I didn't realize I cursed him that bad.

Adrian 07-04-2017 11:07 PM

Well, somebody needs to take us because everywhere I've been has just been one Spanking after another! Except for Percy Priest...

TNewsome 07-04-2017 11:41 PM

All of this makes me feel a little better. Maybe it's not completely me, but I won't give up.