FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Normandy walleye (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=11614)

Paincave 09-24-2016 03:57 PM

Normandy walleye

2 Attachment(s)
Going to try for the walleye one last time for the year. A friend of mine caught some monday night, so I figured I'd give it one more shot before the cool weather gets here next week. Me and a friend went last week and caught 8,we went thursday and caugh 3 bass and 1 walleye,so I'm thinking they're about done for the year fishing for them like I do. Can't catch them if I don't try though right?

TNBronzeback 09-24-2016 05:18 PM

Great fish!
But why stop at the cool weather? Thats when the walleyes will be really chomping! as the water cools, they go on a fall feeding bonanza. I plan on heading there next month and into november.

Paincave 09-24-2016 05:30 PM

They stop biting the only way I know how to fish for them,haha. I'd love to learn how to catch them in the cold weather.

TNBronzeback 09-24-2016 06:38 PM

They will still hit spinner rigs with some kind of meat, but they will more aggressively hit artificials like cranks/body baits, jigs & plastics, aggressive spooning. Despite it being a small lake, once the water starts to cool, they will migrate up into then"creeks" and they will be shallower as a whole.

Paincave 09-25-2016 12:25 AM

I may give that a try. I've only trolled crank baits on a few certain banks so that's the only way I know how to catchange them. Which has been productive,we've caught lots between 18" to 23" and a 26" and 28.5" as well as several bass,catfish,a carp and even a 20+ pound rockfish,yea,that was crazy,I think I've still got the pic on my phone. But overall it's been a pretty good year considering the water level stayed low. Now if I can ever figure out the crappie there I'll be happy.

Heiny57 09-25-2016 06:38 AM

Great catch. Good eating there.

TNBronzeback 09-25-2016 06:43 AM

Give it a shot, throw everything ya got at them. As the temps cool, they will bite more actively during the day and start heading towards thier pre-spawn haunts.
Im with ya on the crappie. They are on my radar this fall down there too. Ive heard stories of slabs being pulled from there in the fall. I want in on that action!

XxthejuicexX 09-25-2016 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paincave (Post 75079)
Going to try for the walleye one last time for the year. A friend of mine caught some monday night, so I figured I'd give it one more shot before the cool weather gets here next week. Me and a friend went last week and caught 8,we went thursday and caugh 3 bass and 1 walleye,so I'm thinking they're about done for the year fishing for them like I do. Can't catch them if I don't try though right?

I've got to get back out. I started fishing for them this year on Normandy and caught a few. Nothing like you are catching. I have trolled spinner rigs and crank baits. Looks like i will be following them up into the creeks this fall.

Paincave 09-25-2016 12:41 PM

This is the first year I've fished for them as well and actually don't know anything as to what depth,type of bank or structure or anything to look for. Basically the only reason I've caught what I have this summer was because of a friend of mine giving me some pointers but he's done fishing for them this year so if I fish for them this fall I'll be completely in the dark..... Unless there's some volunteers on here that would like to show me how :D I've got plenty of room on the boat

Transplanted Sportsman 09-29-2016 02:56 PM

Dang! It looks like you been doing better than most I've talked to or seen, I been trying to catch walleyes in normandy for 4 years, bought several hundred dollars worth of poles with line counter reels, planer boards and walleye specific baits and have nothing to show for it, caught two walleye and both by accident while crappie fishing. I trolled crankbaits, crawler harnesses, bottom bouncers with different baits, jigged spoons, casted jigs with grubs and paddle tails, u name it, after a few hours I give up and revert to crappie fishing since these I can catch at normandy, this year due to family, health and work constraints I have fished very little but it looks like I'll be able to get out and fish a few times a month mainly on Fridays and Saturdays.
I live in shelbyville so if you want to teach me the ropes on walleye I'll be more than glad to show you how I catch crappies there, there are some real slabs in normandy, sorry for long reply

XxthejuicexX 09-29-2016 08:51 PM

I live in Christiana and have made fishing and learning Normandy a priority. I've only caught a couple walleye trolling. I've yet to try for crappie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Transplanted Sportsman 09-29-2016 10:03 PM

I've caught some really nice crappies there juice, most of the places I fish are obvious but some are overlooked by most who are looking for the quick bite, I fish deeper than most but I caught some nice ones in the last couple of years

XxthejuicexX 09-29-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Transplanted Sportsman (Post 75145)
I've caught some really nice crappies there juice, most of the places I fish are obvious but some are overlooked by most who are looking for the quick bite, I fish deeper than most but I caught some nice ones in the last couple of years

I typically fish Priest and do well but I would like to learn Normandy. I have scanned some of that standing timber and not noticed anything. I just need to put some time and gas into finding them. I know it's a good lake to fish I just need to figure it out. I am thinking the wife, kid and I will go Sunday and troll for some walleye.

Paincave 09-29-2016 10:58 PM

I've never caught any keepers off the standing timber,I see lots of people fishing them but I've never had any luck there. If you see a dark blue and white Shearwater center console come by and say hey,that'll be me.

XxthejuicexX 09-29-2016 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paincave (Post 75149)
I've never caught any keepers off the standing timber,I see lots of people fishing them but I've never had any luck there. If you see a dark blue and white Shearwater center console come by and say hey,that'll be me.

Will do. I will be in the teal and black Stratos. I put in at the dam and fish from there.