FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Fishing Gear (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Ultralight gear (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5061)

jad2t 04-04-2012 08:46 AM

Ultralight gear

I plan to buy an ultralight rod/reel combo from Cabelas to dedicate for my TM fishing. There are all kinds of 50 dollar combos and I'm wondering if they're any good or not even worth it and I should get a much more expensive setup. Has anyone had experience with the less expensive Cabelas brand?

Alphahawk 04-04-2012 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 20288)
I plan to buy an ultralight rod/reel combo from Cabelas to dedicate for my TM fishing. There are all kinds of 50 dollar combos and I'm wondering if they're any good or not even worth it and I should get a much more expensive setup. Has anyone had experience with the less expensive Cabelas brand?

I have used both....and I can tell you when using 2# test line you better have good gear. You may have seen my posts and know that I fish almost exclusively the Trout Magnet. Don't skimp on a good reel with a great drag. If you mostly fish on weekends you could get away with Shimano Sahara....Pfluger President....so on. But if you fish 3 or more days per week I would step up to a Shimano Stradic....Pfluger Supreme XT. The fifty-nine to seventy-nine dollar reels hold up fine for weekend fishing and the same reels in the larger size will hold up well even if you fish 4 days a week. But the UL reels....the Shimano 1000 series....Pfluger 25 series just can't take that beating day after day unless you step up to the pricer reels in the same series. As for a rod the cheaper ones will have more glass in them and will hold up OK. The pricer rods will have more graphite.....and be more sensitive. On the rod side just make sure you have good guides. I have no experience with Cabelas reels. I have purchased a lot of gear from Cabelas but no Cabelas branded fishing reels or rods.

regards

jad2t 04-04-2012 10:38 PM

Oh I worded that wrong, I'm ordering it from Cabelas for sure because I have a Cabelas Visa and get rewards points (free fishing lures). I'm not set on any particular brand but I was just curious if the 50-80 dollar range of UL rod/reel combos are really cheap quality. I fish mostly on weekends and when I move back to Cookeville, it will be once a week if I'm lucky because I'll be finishing my last two semesters of Engineering...not much free time! I'll check out the brands and models you listed and see if I can afford one right now. Thanks!

By the way, I don't know if you've read my post in your thread about Normandy or not but I'm getting much better at fishing the TM and these things are deadly. Some days I use it and get hit almost every cast. It's almost too easy but the challenge isn't hooking a fish, it's landing the fish on such light line. I'll be placing an order pretty soon for some more colors.

Travis C. 04-05-2012 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 20316)
By the way, I don't know if you've read my post in your thread about Normandy or not but I'm getting much better at fishing the TM and these things are deadly. Some days I use it and get hit almost every cast. It's almost too easy but the challenge isn't hooking a fish, it's landing the fish on such light line. I'll be placing an order pretty soon for some more colors.

Awesome... they are deadly.

Maybe you can get you a nice reel thru Cabelas for the points then pick up this rod to put it on.

https://www.troutmagnet.com/store/so...471ed77f3a9c62

I intend on getting it for one rod then a Fenwick for another eventually.

Alphahawk 04-05-2012 09:15 AM

The Sore Lipper Rod that TM sells is the best rod...for the money...for UL fishing. There are better rods...but not at that price. I use the Fenwick Elite Tech River Runner. It is a fantastic rod and while Bass Pro and Cabelas sells it for 129 bucks you can get one from amazon for 89 bucks delivered to your door. It is one tough rod.....and very sensitive.

Regards