FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Battery? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=11811)

Topwater1 01-21-2017 09:09 AM

Battery?

Is it possible to run a trolling motor and fish finder off of one 12v battery?

spottedbass 01-21-2017 09:21 AM

Yes. I run my 55 lb. thrust trolling motor, HDS Gen3 9, HDS Gen2 7 and the aerated livewell all day long off of one Wal-mart brand deep cycle battery.

tkwalker 01-21-2017 12:38 PM

Batteries .. <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 76641)
Yes. I run my 55 lb. thrust trolling motor, HDS Gen3 9, HDS Gen2 7 and the aerated livewell all day long off of one Wal-mart brand deep cycle battery.

When I was guiding I used 5 batteries on my guide boat. And have tried just about all brands out there. But dollar for dollar I found that the Walmart Battery gave me the best service ... They are made by Johnson Controls ... And to answer your question the depth finder will work with your Trolling motor attached to the same battery. But if the battery gets real low you may see some interaction on your screen when the trolling motor is applied. <'TK><:)

Alphahawk 01-21-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tkwalker (Post 76645)
When I was guiding I used 5 batteries on my guide boat. And have tried just about all brands out there. But dollar for dollar I found that the Walmart Battery gave me the best service ... They are made by Johnson Controls ... And to answer your question the depth finder will work with your Trolling motor attached to the same battery. But if the battery gets real low you may see some interaction on your screen when the trolling motor is applied. <'TK><:)

I was going to say same thing. In 2001 I had TM and sonar on same battery. As you said after a day of running motor the screen would go dark when you stepped on motor. With the newer units I would not want the sonar connected to trolling motor....too much chance of interference.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topwater1 01-21-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alphahawk (Post 76646)
I was going to say same thing. In 2001 I had TM and sonar on same battery. As you said after a day of running motor the screen would go dark when you stepped on motor. With the newer units I would not want the sonar connected to trolling motor....too much chance of interference.

Regards

By interference do you just mean the fish finder reading wrong

Alphahawk 01-21-2017 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topwater1 (Post 76647)
By interference do you just mean the fish finder reading wrong

With the new si....di...units you can get a noisy screen....interference. Just white noise...lines and such on the screen. I am not saying it happens on every unit that is connected to the TM battery. There are many forums that talk about interference issues on sonar screen. The first question that is posed to someone with a noisy sonar screen is "Is it connected to trolling motor battery"? Many who have those problems find it is corrected when they use separate TM batteries.

Regards

Topwater1 01-21-2017 02:14 PM

Does this only happen with a low battery

Alphahawk 01-21-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topwater1 (Post 76649)
Does this only happen with a low battery

Anytime a trolling motor is connected to same battery as sonar interference can rear it's ugly head.

Regards

Topwater1 01-21-2017 03:08 PM

Does it just depend on the model

Alphahawk 01-21-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topwater1 (Post 76653)
Does it just depend on the model

Model has nothing to do with it.

Regards

spottedbass 01-23-2017 08:24 AM

The only time I have had a problem with my set up is when I had a battery go bad. When I would step on the trolling motor the screen would go black. I have had zero problems with interference with a good battery.

XxthejuicexX 01-23-2017 10:03 AM

If you are really worried about interference or longevity of the battery just go buy you one of the little 12v rechargeable batteries. You can get them for 15-20 bucks and they work great for powering fish finders.

deezelteck 01-23-2017 08:12 PM

I had an 14' aluminum and used a size 27 Everstart to start the 20hp outboard and power the sonar and 30lb trolling motor.. Worked I could get about 6 hours out of it..

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

aero320 01-23-2017 09:09 PM

Lithium depthfinder batteries

You might think about using one of those small, lightweight, lithium batteries that the kayak guys use to power their depthfinders. I have one on my kayak and it works great. They also include a charger.

XxthejuicexX 01-23-2017 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aero320 (Post 76694)
You might think about using one of those small, lightweight, lithium batteries that the kayak guys use to power their depthfinders. I have one on my kayak and it works great. They also include a charger.

That's what I was talking about. I use them in my yak for the fish finder and any lights I might use. One battery will power a large fish finder for days