FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kayakers Beware (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=9319)

browntrout 08-21-2014 09:47 AM

Kayakers Beware

I know several of you fish Todd's Lake here in the Boro. Be careful, there appears to be a guy with a gun threaten some of the kayakers on the lake.

http://murfreesboro.com/kayak-fishin...o-a-drawn-gun/

Roy

ttitan27 08-21-2014 10:05 AM

I have heard of other people fishing there in the past and having someone come out and yell at them. Seems like the man has stepped up his game. Hopefully the victims will take out the warrants and pursue legal action. Maybe it will get the man to stop and think about his actions before someone is killed over a fishing hole.

thehick176 08-21-2014 10:07 AM

Holy cow! I've had people approach me while I was fishing around their dock from my boat. Saying I'm not allowed to fish around their dock. They've never pulled a gun but nowadays you never know.

XxthejuicexX 08-21-2014 10:14 AM

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid, He might pull a gun on the wrong individual and get shot. It is a private lake so I don't know how that works. I was thinking about heading back over and fishing it soon though. Might want to grab the AR pistol and take it with me, Nothing like a handgun that shoots a rifle caliber and holds 30 rounds. I do hope he learned his lesson in all seriousness.

thehick176 08-21-2014 10:15 AM

If its private and he's not the owner.....what's he thinking!?

XxthejuicexX 08-21-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehick176 (Post 55717)
If its private and he's not the owner.....what's he thinking!?

Got me. Last time I fished it there were multiple people out and about and no one said anything to me. Some people are just asses.

ttitan27 08-21-2014 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 55716)
It is a private lake so I don't know how that works.

Yes and no maybe. The portion southeast of Rutherford Blvd is owned by the city of Murfreesboro. One section northwest of Rutherford blvd is owned by MTSU foundation c/o John Wilson. Not really sure what that means as far as access goes. The far northwestern half is owned by Nicky Lowe c/o Tim Nixon. Tim Nixon does own a house on property that borders this section. I have no idea if he is the person or not that was waving a gun.

All this info is on the Rutherford county property data page.

jad2t 08-21-2014 10:39 AM

Yea from what I've heard the lake isn't actually private and someone told me it's actually listed as a TWRA access point. I never looked it up because I didn't plan to fish there. I've heard about some jerkoff that lives there yelling at people but technically he doesn't have the authority to kick people out.

Juice is right though, he's gonna pull this crap on someone who carries and it's not going to end well.

agelesssone 08-21-2014 02:25 PM

Legally, the man should be arrested for brandishing a gun in a threatening manner.
It is against the law to meaningful expose your gun to someone in the heat of an argument. If you were to be arguing with someone and you lifted the bottom of your shirt to expose your gun to them, that is a nonverbal threat of using the gun.
This guy would be arrested and most likely lose his gun card and guns....and like you say, wrong guy and he could lose a lot more.
Pull that on an armed veteran, not so good.

SalmonDaze 08-21-2014 03:15 PM

I'm not a land management or real estate attorney, but a quick look at a google map of the lake shows multiple private residences with lake front access, and one even shows a kayak atop a dock.

Almost all laws of which I'm aware concerning ownership of the "water" is that said ownership ends at the water's edge. Of course, a lake or pond entirely circumscribed by an owner's property boundaries is not included.

Any lunatic brandishing a weapon, particularly a firearm, with a threat to shoot across water needs to be arrested, jailed, and held. Full stop.

ditz1 08-22-2014 08:16 AM

If the yakers are trespassing then the police or DNR should be called and the transgressors cited and fined for their offense. This guy is a stupid jerk and deserves what he gets. I hope he has not passed on any of his genes. I don't even know where the lake is and don't live in the boro. The police needs to do their job before somebody gets shot.

Travis C. 08-22-2014 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalmonDaze (Post 55736)
Almost all laws of which I'm aware concerning ownership of the "water" is that said ownership ends at the water's edge. Of course, a lake or pond entirely circumscribed by an owner's property boundaries is not included.

If it falls along the lines of creeks and small streams "not" deemed navigable then they own the stream bed or in this case the lake/pond bed.

I have always wondered how this would relate to ponds/small lakes. Because if it is the same and it is cut up like a pie so to speak with one side public then you "should" be able to access legally as long as you don't get out on private property.

I can access a small stream on a greenway float through private stretches ending up back at a greenway downstream legally so I wouldn't see how this is different.

Then again it being legal and the "private" owners knowing that or accepting that are two different things.

browntrout 08-22-2014 08:31 AM

Maybe we should hold a Kayak Tournament on Todd's lake. That should be fun!!

Roy

Reel Tune 08-22-2014 08:36 AM

I was just thinking the same thing browntrout. We'll call it the "1st Annual Kayak Fishing Shootout"

On a more serious note, I know a lot of people who carry while on the water, and wouldn't put up with that.

If someone exposed a gun in a threatening manor to me, it would be a different story.

TroutFiend 08-22-2014 09:11 AM

Not to get to off subject. In TN if you walk in at a bridge access point and "wade" a creek thru private land is that trespassing?