FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Kayak vs Old Town Discovery Solo 119? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5163)

Travis C. 04-30-2012 06:58 AM

Kayak vs Old Town Discovery Solo 119?

I was trying to figure out which one of the kayak threads to plug this into but instead of hijacking put it here.

What are the advans/disadvans of going the solo discovery 119/ over a kayak? Price is cheaper depending on model kayak and depending on if you get the Discovery or Dick's Mad River Solo (which is the same boat bu cheaper).

Assuming you can't stand very reliably in the canoe without outrigging, what are the other drawback's? It's seems to measure up well.

browntrout 04-30-2012 07:47 AM

Travis,
I will take a stab at this but Mid Tenn Kayak Angler can probably add more. In my opinion the maneuverability of the canoe will not be near as good as the kayak. The way that you paddle a kayak is better for fishing, plus the low profile to the water gives you advantages also. There are more options for tricking out kayaks although a lot of the stuff could be used on the canoe. The biggest advantage that i can think of is the speed of which you can paddle the kayak will be a lot faster than the canoe.

Last but not least a kayak just looks a cooler than a canoe.

Hope this helps some. I will be interested to see what others have to say on this subject also.

Roy

bd- 04-30-2012 07:51 AM

I haven't owned an Old Town Discovery, but I did have a 14 ft. Old Town Guide canoe that I rigged with a center seat for solo paddling. I don't have a lot of time in fishing out of kayaks yet, but based on what little I have learned so far, I would go with a kayak instead of a solo canoe. Reasons:

1. Kayak is a lot more maneuverable. Now, that's a tradeoff - a canoe will track straighter on long paddling trips on flatwater. But if you're fishing rivers, you want something that you can point exactly where you want, quickly, with a minimum amount of paddle strokes. You will work harder to steer the canoe, and if an unexpected current sends you sideways, it's harder to recover. That can get you in trouble in fast water.

2. Solo canoe will be a little more stable than the kayak, but not enough. My Old Town was pretty squirrely. Your center of gravity is higher in the canoe (provided you're not standing in the kayak, which I think is not for me).

3. Kayak will be easier to transport.

bd

Reel Tune 04-30-2012 10:39 AM

The 119 has an almost Cult following, its a great Solo Canoe perfect for slow rivers, and creeks. It is great for camping because it can haul a lot of gear. In a sit on top kayak you can haul camping gear in the hull, but not as much as the 119.

The kayak depending on which one you compare it to will travel against current better (faster), will more than likely be easier to transport, a Sit on Top kayak will have scuppers so if you take water over the side of the kayak it will drain out immediately as to where in the canoe you better start bailing. The kayak will sit lower in the water being less effected by wind, and like said before there are more rigging opourtunities to rigging a kayak even though I've seen some pretty sweet 119's.

Travis C. 04-30-2012 08:48 PM

I always wondered about them. You see them tricked out about like yaks.

For me it would work better with couple little kids to throw in it one day but still be light enough to manage by myself on an outing. That is "IF" I was in the market which not a the moment.

Thanks for the feedback.