FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bighead carp (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12172)

MagnoAndrade 07-13-2017 06:34 AM

Bighead carp

Hello everyone,

I recently moved to Brentwood and still have not found my fishing favorite spot, and this is being hard to me, I am from Brazil and I am used to fish Pacu, Tilapia and bighead carp - I have heard we have bighead carp in Percy Priest lake and I wonder if somebody know if this is true, and since it is an invasive species would be good to catch some and help the environment, also a good spot to bank fish in Percy Priest? I have been by the dam but there're a lot of kayaks.

Thanks.

Tennoutdrsman 07-13-2017 01:30 PM

Mill Creek..It runs through Antioch..Best Access is Off Franklin Limestone behind Roadway or at the bridge..There's also access at Harding place area. Use Corn,Or Biscuit Dough..Hang On a Good Luck!;)

Halli 07-13-2017 06:58 PM

Priest has Common Carp as does all of Tennessee waters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_carp

Use the bait suggested.

Soon we shall get bighead as it has infested the Mississippi river to include
Kentucky lake so sooner or later it shall get thru the Old Hickory lock.

tkwalker 07-13-2017 07:32 PM

Check this out <'TK><

This can be found at the top of the forum page . <'TK><:)

http://www.tn.gov/twra/topic/for-anglers

Transplanted Sportsman 07-14-2017 08:10 AM

Normandy Lake is choke full of carp, they are everywhere, welcome to the forum!!

Saltwaterwalt 07-14-2017 11:45 AM

Fortunately, no Bighead or Silver carp are in JPP. Not sure about OH, but they're coming. Cheatham Lake is full of them, as is the Cumberland up to the OH Dam spillway. Halli is right, it's a matter of time before they lock through. Being a writer, I did an article on the Asian Carp issue a few years back, so I did a lot of research on them and their movement. They prefer moving water since they're plankton eaters, which also makes them hard to catch on rod and reel.

Our common carp are much different in looks and feeding habits. They are much easier to catch too since their diet is largely insects, crawdads, worms, etc. and they will take a fly. For non-fly fishermen, they'll take a worm too if fished with finesse. They are one of the easiest spooked fish I've ever angled for, which is why I like the challenge to do so. Trans Sportsman, yep, tons of common carp in Normandy. I make a few trips each year there for carp, as well as crappie.

Attached are a common carp(gold one) and silver carp (sub specie of the bighead).

Jim 07-14-2017 04:26 PM

Silver carp and probably bighead carp are in Old Hickory. I talked with the TWRA folks and there have been a number of reports of the silver carp jumping in the lower end of the lake below Drakes Creek. With the speed they swim, I am sure they will be far upstream by the end of the year.

MagnoAndrade 07-17-2017 07:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I know how this is impacting the lakes here in US, in Brazil we have them mostly in private lakes and they are considered a game fish, people pay to fish them in these private lakes, maybe due to our huge population of aquatic predators they do not become a thread - but there is a specific technique to fish them with rod, we use a system called "shower" translated literally from portuguese, it is a dough that attrack them and when they come to filter the food they got hooked.

The dough consist of sweet potato, banana, sweet condensed milk, powdered peanut butter and powdered milk, of course, there are many recipes but this is a very efficient way to catch them! I attached a photo of this system here.

Thanks for all the replies and information!

MickT 07-17-2017 07:59 AM

Wow. What a contraption.

That's the Alabama Rig of carp fishing for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone 07-17-2017 09:17 AM

You couldn't use it in Tennessee, 3 hooks per line is the law.

MagnoAndrade 07-17-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 79111)

Thanks for the info, didnt know that.

sbrison 07-17-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 79111)

Does that law apply for non-game fish also?

Alphahawk 07-17-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbrison (Post 79115)
Does that law apply for non-game fish also?

That law applies period.....only 3 hooks....has nothing to do with the specie....if you put it in the water only 3 hooks.

Regards

Halli 07-17-2017 07:18 PM

Ok then use the last picture.

Hey Jack.
We all need to learn how to cook and clean these fish
as commercial fishing them will be the only
way of holding them off!

SAMBOLIE 07-17-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halli (Post 79117)
Ok then use the last picture.

Hey Jack.
We all need to learn how to cook and clean these fish
as commercial fishing them will be the only
way of holding them off!

He never said they eat these fish. You eat the left over bait. :) Sounds delicious.