FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Costa Del Mar (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5109)

Reel Tune 04-14-2012 06:31 PM

Costa Del Mar

The other morning while walking to the truck, and having an allergy attack my glasses fell off my shirt and onto the ground in front of my foot and crush. I'm sending them back to Daytona Beach to be repaired, but in the meantime I'm without sunglasses. Does anyone know of a good Costa Dealer with many options in the Nashville area? I've seen them at BPS, and on the Costa website it says that West Marine is a Premium Dealer also. Does anyone know who has the best selection BPS or West Marine, or if there is another dealer out there with a better selection.

I'm asking this question of Costas not Solar Bat, Ono's, Smith Optics, or Oakleys. I love my Costas and that's all I'll wear.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Jeremy

flyfish 04-14-2012 06:45 PM

I got mine and my wife's at BPS. I'm with you, once you go Costa you'll never go back.

Alphahawk 04-14-2012 08:18 PM

OK guys educate me here. Are those high dollar sunglasses worth it and if so why? Now all my sunglass have been high dollar as I wear a progressive lens and get titanium frames....titanium because of no corrosion from perspiration from being outdoors so much. But have often thought of getting scrip sunglasses from Costa or Oakley.

regards

Reel Tune 04-14-2012 08:32 PM

I had always thought it was hype and always bought the $20 BPS polarized glasses, and 2 years ago my wife surprised me with a pair of Costas with the 580 Glass lenses. I was a little upset with her spending the money until I put them on my face. Now I've looked thru other well known manufactures polarized glasses, but after I put these on it was like I was looking in HD. Yeah when HD TV's came out I didn't buy that hype either. Everything is so crystal clear, vibrant, there is no distortion at the edge of the lens. The polarization and lens color is sandwiched between glass so it you happen to scratch or chip them which is difficult it will still have the tent and you would se a bright streak.

When she gave me my 1st pair of Costas we were fishing in the Gulf I arrived at the beach and I got goose bumps from the views. Now I have lived 20 min from the beach for several years, and after moving from Florida we still frequently went down to fish, but I had never seen the sand, sky and water like I had seen it that day. My wife was wearing a pair of other polarized sunglasses well over $150 and she couldn't see a bait pod I was watching until I put my Costas on her face, and when I did her smile grew.

There's my true Costa story.

Now there are other glasses out there that are good, but in my opinion and that's my opinion Costa are the best.

Jeremy

Alphahawk 04-14-2012 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info....good to know.

bd- 04-14-2012 10:15 PM

Fly South sells Costas and has a wide selection.

But if you buy a pair of Kaenons you might not want the Costas anymore. :D

bd

Reel Tune 04-14-2012 10:33 PM

I've herd the name bd, but never had the oppourtunity to try them out.

EDIT: Is there a dealer local to Nashville?

Jeremy

Travis C. 04-14-2012 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidTNKayakAngler (Post 20592)
I've herd the name bd, but never had the oppourtunity to try them out.

EDIT: Is there a dealer local to Nashville?

Jeremy

http://flysouth.net/

They are over by the Brewhouse and Gigi's cupcakes on 19th ave S

flyfish 04-15-2012 07:15 AM

I support all of these responses. In addition from a technical side, these glasses provide complete polarization. Just like a filter for your camera, when you turn the lenses 90 degrees the light cancels out. Try it in front of your tv. That technology is what cancels out the glare on the water so good. I too have bought countless cheap-o's, and could have bought 3 pairs of Costas.

Reel Tune 04-15-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis C. (Post 20595)
http://flysouth.net/

They are over by the Brewhouse and Gigi's cupcakes on 19th ave S

I have been banned from there, but I'll try to sneak in sometime.

bd- 04-15-2012 11:52 AM

I only owned one pair of Costas - a pair of 400s, and one of the lenses started to delaminate after a surprisingly short period of time. I couldn't believe a pair of sunglasses that cost that much would have that kind of problem. I was going to send them in for a warranty replacement, but then my friend Mike had a pair of Costas that started doing exactly the same thing. I decided it was time to check out a different brand.

After that I fished with Smith Action Optics glasses for quite a while and liked them quite a bit. But then my Smiths got crunched (my fault, not the manufacturer's), and when I was shopping for a replacement pair, I was persuaded to try out a pair of Kaenons.

Now that I've fished with the Kaenons, I don't think I'll go to a different brand. Their clarity is simply the best. I can fish on flats all day in bright sun with their high-contrast copper lenses and still have zero eye fatigue.

bd

Reel Tune 04-15-2012 01:37 PM

bd,

Where can you find these Kaenons locally? I would like to take a look at them in person, they are about the same price range of the Costas.

Thanks,
Jeremy

bd- 04-16-2012 09:16 AM

Fly South has the Kaenons too - that's where I got mine. I believe Bass Pro carried Kaenons long ago but I don't think they have them anymore.

You're going to have to sneak in after all. :)

bd

Travis C. 04-16-2012 09:28 AM

I won't buy any more $$ sun glasses until the little ones gets bigger. All mine get broke..

Haven't tried the Kaenons but seen them at Fly South and like how the wrap around your face. That is almost essential for optimal results.

bd- 04-16-2012 09:31 AM

I've discovered you have to watch wrap around frames closely. If the fit is too tight, the glasses will fog badly when you're on the Caney on a hot, windless day. The frames I've got now don't fit quite as tightly, but they don't fog. It took me a couple pairs of sunglasses to figure that one out.

bd