FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Sports Lounge - General (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Boat Help (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5349)

spottedbass 06-18-2012 07:40 AM

Boat Help

My gas gauge is broke. I have a 17 ft. aluminum bass boat with an enclosed gas tank. My gauge has died. It went from always reading 1/4 tank for about a month to now always showing empty. Is there an easy way to fix this?

tkwalker 06-18-2012 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 22447)
My gas gauge is broke. I have a 17 ft. aluminum bass boat with an enclosed gas tank. My gauge has died. It went from always reading 1/4 tank for about a month to now always showing empty. Is there an easy way to fix this?

SBass ... Usually the sending unit goes first but to check this just turn your key on and use a volt meter and see if you have a potential accross the gauge (you may need to disconnect from the gause, it may depend how yours is configured) ....In most cases the sending unit uses a varriable resistor (some use LVDT's) that moves up and down with the fuel level this varies the potential (voltage) ... Th easiest way is just replace the gauge with a used or new one ... They aren't that $$$.... If this does not fix it ....

The sending unit in the tank can be removed fairly easy if you have access ... It is the round device that has a couple of wires going to it ... Hope this helps .... <'TK>< :)

spottedbass 06-18-2012 12:57 PM

Thanks. I'll check it out.

spottedbass 04-07-2014 06:43 PM

TK, I finally got around to replacing the fuel gauge. It still does not work. I do have access to the tank and I can get to the sending unit very easily. Does it matter what size tank you have for the sending unit? I can't seem to find a "sending unit" at Bass Pro. Where should I look or should it be called something else?

Thanks.

tkwalker 04-07-2014 08:18 PM

Give me more info ... <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by spottedbass (Post 49090)
TK, I finally got around to replacing the fuel gauge. It still does not work. I do have access to the tank and I can get to the sending unit very easily. Does it matter what size tank you have for the sending unit? I can't seem to find a "sending unit" at Bass Pro. Where should I look or should it be called something else?

Thanks.

What size tank to you have ?? usually the sending unit are all pretty much the same ... Depending on the Gallons capacity and configuration ... The float arm is the primary element here ... Pull the sending unit and measure the length of the float arm ... Some are a arm and some are a vertical screw type ... I am pretty sure I can find what you need .... <'TK>< :)

spottedbass 04-07-2014 08:56 PM

I am no "do-it-yourself" person but I did pull out the sending unit. I was able to find one on Amazon just like the one that I have now. I believe I am set. When the new one gets here, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks for your help.

Halli 04-08-2014 06:23 AM

Go to a truck parts store like TruckPro.

pitbull 04-08-2014 11:32 AM

Check the gauge for what Ohm sending unit it needs as well, it should say something like 0-90 ohms or something like that, unless there is a marine standard I'm not aware of?