FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Center Hill Dam, Below Dam, Camp Site Ramp (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12842)

lupanfreitag 08-11-2018 08:26 AM

Center Hill Dam, Below Dam, Camp Site Ramp

Question:

I have never put my 16ft lund in the candy, esp at low water.
Can I get it in on the camp ground side or is that treacherous?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

thehick176 08-11-2018 08:43 AM

I think the water is deep enough on that side. My only concern would be how far down the actual boat ramp ends. We dropped off the end of the ramp below Cheatham dam one night and it was not fun.

lupanfreitag 08-11-2018 09:40 AM

Yeah,

That is my fear as well.
Another guy warned me of the same issue.

TnCreekMaster 08-12-2018 03:46 AM

I have a 17.5 ft stratos I take down there and launch at that ramp and I only go when they are generating because as soon as they stop the water drops very fast and I made the mistake one time of fishing to long after they quit and barely got my boat back on the trailer. The other ramp is really only good for small craft ie canoes, kayaks and small John boats as it's a very shallow ramp. I've never fished down there with the sluice going is it to rough to fish from a boat down there?

Pinwheeled 08-12-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TnCreekMaster (Post 83730)
I have a 17.5 ft stratos I take down there and launch at that ramp and I only go when they are generating because as soon as they stop the water drops very fast and I made the mistake one time of fishing to long after they quit and barely got my boat back on the trailer. The other ramp is really only good for small craft ie canoes, kayaks and small John boats as it's a very shallow ramp. I've never fished down there with the sluice going is it to rough to fish from a boat down there?

I wouldn’t go around the dam when they’re sluicing and generating. Too dangerous even for a bigger boat IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinwheeled 08-12-2018 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupanfreitag (Post 83725)
Question:

I have never put my 16ft lund in the candy, esp at low water.

Can I get it in on the camp ground side or is that treacherous?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

I’ve done both sides on low water with my 14ft Jon boat. Both sides are tough but honestly I prefer the other side. I have a 4x4 pickup though so I can get in the water a good ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker 08-12-2018 12:25 PM

Ramp ... <'TK><

When I was guiding I launched my 23 foot Bay Boat from the Campground side ramp. But only when generation was present. I think you would save yourself a lot of headaches by not launching with no generation except maybe a John Boat and then some dragging will occur ... Also generation schedules are important if returning to that ramp and not trailering out at Happy Hollow or Betty's Island, via Joel's shuttle . .... <'TK><:)

white95v6 08-12-2018 10:52 PM

I put a 17 foot stratos in on the campground side with only 250cfs sluice and have no issues with unloading or loading the boat. And no issue getting to the pond to fish.

lupanfreitag 08-19-2018 06:52 PM

Thanks so much

That truly helps.