FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bank Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=4114)

MNfisher 04-27-2011 02:30 PM

Bank Fishing

Hey!
I just recently moved to Nashville from Minneapolis, MN. I fished a lot in MN. About 5 days a week I was on the water! Because of financial reasons and the move, I was forced to sell my boat. It has been killing me that I have not fished yet. I was hoping to wet a line for the first time in TN on Sunday. But I don't have the slightest clue on where to go and what to use and what I should expect to catch! Do any of you have any suggestions at all on where to stand on shore and toss a few baits? I have no idea on where to even start. I fished for about every species in MN. What can I expect to catch from shore? Anything will help! Trout, Bass, panfish, Catfish! I will take anything! Thanks in advance for any help!

nailman_83 04-27-2011 03:22 PM

Do you live in Nashville or outside the city? If you narrow it down we can probably give you better advice.

thehick176 04-27-2011 03:23 PM

Welcome to the site MNFisher. You have so many options here in Nashville. Let us know your whereabouts in Nashville and there will be someone on here that probably lives close to you and that can lead you in the right direction.

MNfisher 04-27-2011 04:47 PM

I live right in downtown Nashville! Thanks guys! Pumped to start fishing!

tnridgerunner 04-27-2011 05:13 PM

It's beginning to look like last year. If so, try fishing 2nd Avenue and Broadway.

Dakota 04-27-2011 05:37 PM

Google TWRA and go to the anglers page. Then scroll all the way down and look for "bank fishing pdf file" alot of info that may help you. Welcome I'm from South Dakota and moved here in 98'. I fish Old hickory, mostly. Good luck to you.
Dakota

Fishaholic 04-27-2011 06:23 PM

If you live in downtown you can fish the river right next to the stadium its steep and deep but there are fish there good luck:D

MNfisher 04-27-2011 10:33 PM

Thanks, Can you fish the Cumberland by the stadium from shore?? Or is there anywhere you can fish the Cumberland from shore? Also, might head to Percy Priest on Sunday, What can I expect to catch below the Dam?? Or should I head to other parts of the lake to fish from shore? Thanks!

Tennoutdrsman 04-28-2011 04:28 AM

Yaeh there's alot of spots you can fish,but after this rain,i'd be wary of it...If you go to Priest,The lake side you can catch crappie right now along with hybrids too..Good luck! If you ever come to Old Hickory..hit me up on here,I'll put you on fish.:)

MNfisher 04-28-2011 04:52 AM

Awesome! Yeah, I heard the Cumberland is going to rise 10 feet in 24 hours. I am thinking about heading to Percy Priest, if I fish above the dam on the lake side, where is a good area to start? And what is the best technique to fish hybrids, we don't have them in MN. Thanks!

vincent 04-28-2011 12:20 PM

Welcome to TN.

I usually go to Seven Points and fish from the bank. Address is.

Seven Points
1810 STEWARTS FERRY PIKE
Hermitage TN 37076

I've seen people fish the Priest dam on the inside from the bank. I've also fished from the bank under the bridge on Hobson Pike across the Priest lake. I guess you can also fish the Coucheville lake in Long Hunter park, and I think (I've heard people say this) you can also fish the Priest lake from somewhere on the bank in Long Hunter park.

I think the link below is what Dakota mentioned: See Page 14, 15 for Priest bank fishing.

http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/fish/b...ToBank_web.pdf

Hope this helps. I'm not an expert fisherman, and I suspend shiners, and if I'm lucky I get hybrids, sometimes cat or crappie or drum or gar, and mostly a couple small LM/SM bass. I've seen people use minnows and worms and crickets - there's bluegill down there for sure.

Tennoutdrsman 04-28-2011 05:00 PM

MN,on the right hand side(if your facing the damn from INTSTATE 40) Walk a good ways and fish,there are bluffs and rocks that the crappie hang at...OR on the left there is a parking lot and Deeper water which hold the Hybrids..Folks use Chicken liver and Minnows for 'em Or a RED FIN Lure(Blue is what i have had success with)...Just have GOOD line because the will spool you and give you the ol' "goodbye sucka'"...:D

MNfisher 04-28-2011 08:09 PM

Well Thank you for all the info! I will be heading in that direction on Sunday. All I hope to do is have something tug on the other end of the line! Is there a baitshop nearby that area? If anyone else is going out, Good luck! I am hoping for my first hybrid! I feel like I am learning how to fish all over again. It isn't easy going from fishing 5-6 days a week in your dream Ranger Bass boat, to moving to a new area and being boatless!!! Once I find a place to store it, I will just get a john boat or something similar. But until then....shore it is!!! Thanks again for the info!

vincent 04-28-2011 08:51 PM

Starkeys bait & tackle is where i get shiners. They open at 5 am 365 days a year. Its near foodlion, very near to pecy priest dam. They have minnows, worms, cut shad, artificial baits.

3654 bell road, nashville, tn is their address.

There are gas stations on old hickory blvd that sell minnows/worms.

Good luck.

bd- 04-28-2011 09:17 PM

Get a Gazeteer Atlas or the Sportsman's Connection Lake Map Guide for Middle Tennessee and scout out some of the local creeks and small rivers that you can wade and fish. Some of them offer really spectacular bass fishing and you may never want a boat again.

Most of the best creeks are closely guarded secrets because they can't withstand a lot of fishing pressure, so those of us who fish creeks a lot generally don't want to broadcast our spots on the Internet because it can draw a crowd to a small creek and fish it out. You just have to put a little scouting time in.

If you are interested in creek fishing for smallmouth, you might also want to get in touch with my good friend Mike Dial over at www.tennesseebassguides.com. He posts here occasionally as creeksmallie. Booking a day with Mike will teach you several years' worth of experience about fishing the local smallmouth streams.

bd