FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sad morning for the little ones... (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5404)

Travis C. 07-05-2012 12:06 PM

Sad morning for the little ones...

We went to our little honey hole like we have become used to except one major thing was wrong. There was a strong stench in the air and fish floating everywhere.

On Sunday it was fine and I even noted on here seeing gills trying to spawn. Then on Monday we caught several gills. I assume the temps are way too high or DO way too low. At least I know there "were" some 4lb bass in there now.

Time to find the kids a new spot. :(

Alphahawk 07-05-2012 12:11 PM

Too bad. We need rain so bad. On way home from Pickwick the other day was looking at corn fields at Summertown....pitiful sight. Water temp at Center Hill is in the low 90's. It is not that high at Pickwick...which is surprising.

Regards

browntrout 07-05-2012 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis C. (Post 22904)
We went to our little honey hole like we have become used to except one major thing was wrong. There was a strong stench in the air and fish floating everywhere.

On Sunday it was fine and I even noted on here seeing gills trying to spawn. Then on Monday we caught several gills. I assume the temps are way too high or DO way too low. At least I know there "were" some 4lb bass in there now.

Time to find the kids a new spot. :(

Travis not wanting GPS settings but was this a big lake or a smaller pond? Just curious.

Roy

jad2t 07-05-2012 03:17 PM

I saw postings on another fishing forum of people's ponds having dead fish in them. They're all blaming it on the heat and lack of rain and the resulting lack of oxygen in the water. I wonder how the trout are doing in the Caney far away from the dam. It can't be good for them...

browntrout 07-05-2012 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jad2t (Post 22907)
I saw postings on another fishing forum of people's ponds having dead fish in them. They're all blaming it on the heat and lack of rain and the resulting lack of oxygen in the water. I wonder how the trout are doing in the Caney far away from the dam. It can't be good for them...

Actually they should be doing good right now with them running the generators as much as they are right now. It will get worse when they aren't running the generators as much.

Roy

Travis C. 07-05-2012 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by browntrout (Post 22906)
Travis not wanting GPS settings but was this a big lake or a smaller pond? Just curious.

Roy

Pond

tkwalker 07-05-2012 07:54 PM

Same with my pond !!! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis C. (Post 22910)
Pond

If you have been keeping up with my fish kills in my pond ... I had a big one ... bass, gills, cats, etc ... Pond dropped 3.5 feet only about 2 feet left ... ... only ran my aerator for 8 hours then... This was 4 weeks ago .... Started running it 24/7 after the kill have not lost any more .... NOT ENOUGH oxy inh the water for the larger fish ... the small ones will survive <'TK>< :o

Alphahawk 07-05-2012 08:29 PM

The last time I was over at Bedford it was getting really low. In talking with the TWRA Techs that maintain the TWRA Lakes in Region 2 they tell me it is getting bad. VFW is also getting low.

Regards

Travis C. 09-04-2012 07:24 AM

Have been going back to this little place lately to check how bad the damage was and have been very shocked to find not one single bluegill instead lots of 8"-12" bass.

Back during the kill most floating were gills but I wouldn't thought it would have got all of them.

The last two trips I have averaged 5-7 bass in a 45min-hour fishing it on a slider head jig 1/8oz with a white twister tail grub. Which before I'd catch one or maybe two every other trip.

bd- 09-04-2012 09:09 AM

If there was ever a time to take a few bass out to eat, this is probably it. They're probably going to have a tough winter with their forage base thinned out. The bluegill numbers will recover quickly but reducing the number of predators a little will help out the balance until things can catch up.

bd

Travis C. 09-04-2012 10:26 AM

Went back this morning and seen several schools of fry around grass along the banks. They had the body shape of bream but still no signs of bigger ones. Also caught 5 more bass pretty quick including a couple 1.5-1.75 lbs range.

I don't really know enough about this place's background to take any out for a meal.