FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A tip for tube fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12824)

Texas_Rig 07-27-2018 06:09 AM

A tip for tube fishing

I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.

Schleprock 07-27-2018 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 83591)
I love throwing a tube. It's a great flipping bait and it's a great bait to fish this time of year on steep banks. I always texas rig a tube. The only downside to tube fishing is line twist. It will ruin fluorocarbon line in no time. I exclusively use Sunline Sniper fluorocarbon and it's pretty expensive. The other day I spooled up some new line and after one night of fishing my line was trashed. I researched a solution and found what I was looking for. If you will tie a barrel swivel to the end of your line and tie a 15 inch leader to the swivel then your good to go. I just cut 15 inches off my main line and use that as my leader. It's going to save me a lot of money. Hope this helps someone that was having the same issue. BTW the stike king flipping tubes are the most durable that I've found. The head of the tube isn't hollow but is solid instead. I am averaging 4-6 fish per tube with SK versus 2-3 fish with other brands.

Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20

FloatNFish 07-27-2018 09:38 AM

Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I don’t bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.

Texas_Rig 07-27-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 83592)
Good idea, I've never used a tube but I notice that those rage tail shad also twist so I'm going to try that with them

BTW, have you ever heard of K9 flouro? its not 100% flouro as it has nano particles added to combat memory, all the benefits of flouro without the memory, it also is very durable, been lasting twice as long as the spider wire flouro I had been using , smooth and strong and best of all 550 yards is just under $20

I've used it but I'm not a fan. Sunline is the smoothest casting fluorocarbon that I've found. The swivel trick worked flawlessly for me the other night.

Texas_Rig 07-27-2018 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by FloatNFish (Post 83594)
Great info. You mind posting a picture of your version of a Texas rigged tube? I don’t bass fish often but I always struggled to get tubes to rig straight and look natural.

No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.

FloatNFish 07-27-2018 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 83596)
No problem. I don't use a tube jig head. I wil use a 2/0 or 3/0 extra wide gap hook with a tungsten sinker.

Thanks! I was always trying to use the sinkers that you shove up inside the tube then thread your hook through. Just never seemed to be able to get the right combination of tube/sinker/hook to get a good presentation. That Texas rig looks good!

Halli 07-27-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texas_Rig (Post 83596)

Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!

Texas_Rig 07-27-2018 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halli (Post 83604)
Wrong end Mister we want to see the Swivel not the bait!!!!

If you can zoom in you'll be able to see it. Probably more like a 2 foot leader there.

Halli 07-30-2018 04:50 PM

Nice setup I shall try it on the Cumby!

ALANRAYG2 07-30-2018 10:56 PM

I have used a similar setup for sauger fishing. I would use 20# braid for the main line with a swivel then 12# fluro. I liked the ball bearing swivels best.