FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Which winter lake do you run ? (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=12965)

Flatline 01-01-2019 11:13 PM

Which winter lake do you run ?

As some know I'm buying my first boat. I do not know the lakes around Lebanon, Mt Juliet, ect...

I'm not asking for your fishing spots, I have a friend willing to go with me that fishes tourns to show me a few places. With that said, I've been told by a couple people to stay off Percy Priest lake due to the fact of a lot of debris like trees, log, large rocks and they keep the water level low, so more danger of hitting something.

Is it really that bad and where else or what launch docks would you suggest I use to run the boat a little ? I was told by one friend that has a good sized cabin cruiser that all he runs in is Old Hickory. Its all part of the Cumberland river, so why is one lake more susceptible and another not ?

Halli 01-02-2019 11:41 AM

Percy Priest should not havev a lot of logs like Old Hickory would but Rocks Yep.

Crappie are found on both lakes over brush piles.

Bass are deep holding on ledges ect. Warm spells look for bass around north rip rap and rocks.

XxthejuicexX 01-02-2019 12:29 PM

I have no problem running JPP in the winter, I've fished it for 25 years. OH scares me more due to the debris that tends to float in the river. It's not a bad idea to get out on JPP during the winter to look around and get things figured out, it can be a dangerous lake.

Flatline 01-02-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 84492)
I have no problem running JPP in the winter, I've fished it for 25 years. OH scares me more due to the debris that tends to float in the river. It's not a bad idea to get out on JPP during the winter to look around and get things figured out, it can be a dangerous lake.

Thanks... 121 views and 2 responses ?

Yea I was told Priest has some big rocks. I just wanted to know my best options to test the boat out without trashing it the first time around

Halli 01-03-2019 02:57 AM

Happy Fishing

Always follow bouys.

Nashville's Riverfront park is at flood stage so Old Hickory will have a lot of logs and trash in the main current.

When there is not a lot of hard rain and normal flow (1-2 gens pulling) follow bouys on Old Hickory and you will be just fine.

Download navonics app to your phone for normal lake topo.

Heiny57 01-03-2019 08:28 AM

Put in at 7 points and run the deeper water till you are comfortable. At winter pool all the docks are out of the water so you will have more trouble keeping your hull unscratched. The lake gets more hazardous when you get up past Hobson bridge. Be aware of the hazard markers throughout the lake.

jaybird 01-03-2019 09:13 AM

Heiny is right. During the winter the docks are usually on dry land. If you are concerned about a scratch in your hull, the only way to avoid it is leave the boat in the garage until spring, which is no fun. The logs and rocks on JPP are at least stationary. On Old Hickory, many of the logs are floating and occasionally just below the surface in the channel so you don't see them but you feel them when you are running down the channel. Being very cautious until your comfortable and watching your depth finder and navigation buoys will be key. I fish JPP mostly but do get on Old Hick some. Both lakes produce fish in the winter just have to make sure you dress for the weather.

Farley 01-03-2019 09:56 AM

I would highly recommend a Humminbird with a good GPS and a Lakemaster chip for both lakes. I know you probably feel like you've already spent too much money buying a boat but this investment will pay off in spades. If you go this route hit me up and I will go with you and teach you the basics.

Texas_Rig 01-03-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Farley (Post 84508)
I would highly recommend a Humminbird with a good GPS and a Lakemaster chip for both lakes. I know you probably feel like you've already spent too much money buying a boat but this investment will pay off in spades. If you go this route hit me up and I will go with you and teach you the basics.

This is the best advice! Get a fish finder that will take a chip with gps maps and buy a good map card. Lakemaster is great. Learn how to read it. This is the best advise by far for anyone running an unfamiliar body of water. It will also allow you to fish comfortably at night if that's your thing.

culprit7.5 01-03-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halli (Post 84505)
Always follow bouys.

Nashville's Riverfront park is at flood stage so Old Hickory will have a lot of logs and trash in the main current.

When there is not a lot of hard rain and normal flow (1-2 gens pulling) follow bouys on Old Hickory and you will be just fine.

Download navonics app to your phone for normal lake topo.

^^^This is the best advise so far^^^

You should have no problems out on JPP especially if you stay below Hobson Pike Bridge.
The biggest issue I see is even in July, no one takes the time to see what the white bouys are labeled. Rock, NO WAKE for example. You can go from thirty FOW to three FOW real quick. Just take it easy, keep an eye your graphs and stay in the channels until you learn the lay of each cut or creek. Long shallow points are out there as well.
I guarantee you that not a single fish will pass you by going slow.

I once saw someone launch a pontoon boat in Hong Kong and the ramp is deep in the no wake area. He hammered it straight across towards the rock pile I was fishing, THEN, one of the teenagers jumped over the side while moving, hit the water as the boat kept going. They circled back to him where he was standing in waist deep water. No exaggeration. Could have been all over for him but he was spared the Darwin award that day.

Just get out there an have fun and try to learn a different part of the lake each time. Wear your PFD...water is 45 degrees.

fairweatherfisherman 01-03-2019 03:03 PM

Lots of good advise on the thread. There are times that Old Hickory can get some pretty heavy fog on it. Even with GPS, it is pretty dangerous to run in the fog, so I'd recommend waiting for the fog to lift.

Learn to read your GPS. Understand whether it it showing "north up" or "head up". If "north up" the top of the view is north. If "head up" the map rotates based on your heading. Some of the lakes I go to have very shallow points and extensive shallow flats and if you end up shallow, you want to know which way to point the boat to get to deeper water. Old Hickory has shallow areas, but those are all located outside of the channel boys.

Alphahawk 01-03-2019 08:53 PM

When it is a decent weather day, and I fish in the winter, I will do so on Nickajack, Center Hill......I know the lakes and the base mapping on the Helix is sufficient for me there. But on Old Hickory....and yes there will be a few winter days I’ll be out there.....I have a Lake Master and it...at least for me so far....has been spot on.

Regards

notorious 01-03-2019 09:20 PM

Hollar at me...you have my particulars, no worries.

XxthejuicexX 01-03-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 84503)
Thanks... 121 views and 2 responses ?

Yea I was told Priest has some big rocks. I just wanted to know my best options to test the boat out without trashing it the first time around

JPP does have big rocks and they can come out of no where. If you really want to get out and run the boat listen to alpha and go to center hill or even Tim Ford, both deep lakes. I live close to Normandy and it's deep as long as you stay out of some of the creeks with standing timber.

XxthejuicexX 01-03-2019 09:30 PM

Should have added that the Navionics app for the phone is good but a solid Unit with GPS and a chip is even better.

Flatline 01-04-2019 02:44 AM

Thank you guys for the great advice, I'm not embarrassed to admit I'm a novice, thus this thread... This boat comes with a Lowrance® HOOK2 5 Combo color fishfinder w/SplitShot™ From my understanding it comes with gps and a lay out of all the lakes. How detailed I don't know. So Center hill definitely sounds like a good option while I learn the boat and how to operate the fish finder/ gps.

Farley, thank you sir, I just might take you up on your offer once I get things in order as the guy cancelled out meeting Thursday, Yesterday, because it was cold and nasty... Supposed to make the deal in the morning.

FloatNFish 01-04-2019 01:06 PM

Lots of good advice here already!

I spend most of my time during the winter on JPP or Old Hickory.

As stated JPP has some rock piles and long points that can be hazards especially during the winter. The lower end between Hobson pike and the Dam is pretty safe all year. Just pay attention to those little white buoys that you can’t read unless you’re on top of them.

Old Hickory can have a lot of floating debris coming down the river after a lot of rain. Also lots of mud flats that come up from the channel pretty quickly. Just keep it between the navigation buoys and you’re good to go! (“Red Right Return” - if you are traveling toward the source of the lake/river/creek the red nav buoys should be on your right)

Pay attention to your GPS and run the channels until you get more comfortable with the lakes you are on. No shame in keeping speed under control until you get a feel for the boat as well.

Make sure you prep your boat to launch in the parking lot and not on the ramp. Take your time when prepping to launch. It’s easy to get excited to get on the water and forget an important step - plug, transom straps, Boat key, tilt/trim lock, PFD!!!, etc (promise I haven’t forgotten all of these at one time or another).

If the boat will not start check a couple simple things first:
-Is the boat in Neutral?
-Is the safety lanyard connected?
-Is the battery switch on?
-Did the fuel line get disconnected?

Have fun out there!

Flatline 01-04-2019 07:53 PM

Again thanks FnF, I hope others benefit from this as well, I sure will. I'll probably fish Cordell Hull, Center Hill and the river here at the Rome Bridge. Bass Pro did confirm my Lowrance does have charts of all the lakes including OH, Priest also showing known hazards.

Anyhow I'd like to report that I did secure the deal this morning at a Waffle House over breakfast.. I'm now the owner of a 2019 Bass Tracker 175 Pro Team TXW :D

TNBronzeback 01-04-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 84526)
Again thanks FnF, I hope others benefit from this as well, I sure will. I'll probably fish Cordell Hull, Center Hill and the river here at the Rome Bridge. Bass Pro did confirm my Lowrance does have charts of all the lakes including OH, Priest also showing known hazards.

Anyhow I'd like to report that I did secure the deal this morning at a Waffle House over breakfast.. I'm now the owner of a 2019 Bass Tracker 175 Pro Team TXW :D

Congrats on the boat! make lots of memories with it.
That Rome boat ramp doesnt have anything good to offer. Lol:D

Texas_Rig 01-05-2019 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 84526)

The standard mapping on these units is just ok. You will be doing yourself a favor by purchasing a good mapping card. Lakemaster and Navionics are both great. Not only will you be able to navigate better but you will also be able to identify potential fishing spots. I went forever with preloaded mapping and caught fish but once I purchased a good chip, I was able to move away from the bank and fish offshore. This made me a much better fisherman and I've caught way more bass in the summertime. Long points and humps are a summertime game changer.

Flatline 01-07-2019 01:57 AM

Took the boat out for its maiden voyage today and I have to say its everything I had hoped for. I decided to go to Center hill Dam and rode around getting the feel of the boat and trolling motor. I even had time to wet a line but didn't catch anything.

When you guys said it was a deep lake.. you weren't kidding. Located a bunch of fish around the 35 foot mark or what gave the impression of schools of fish. I mean there was nothing about or below.

Anyhow it was a great day fer the exception I lost my new grey fishing life jacket. I think it was on the lake... :(

agelesssone 01-07-2019 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 84537)
Took the boat out for its maiden voyage today and I have to say its everything I had hoped for. I decided to go to Center hill Dam and rode around getting the feel of the boat and trolling motor. I even had time to wet a line but didn't catch anything.

When you guys said it was a deep lake.. you weren't kidding. Located a bunch of fish around the 35 foot mark or what gave the impression of schools of fish. I mean there was nothing about or below.

Anyhow it was a great day fer the exception I lost my new grey fishing life jacket. I think it was on the lake... :(

When you purchased that boat, you opened a hole in the lake that you will throw money into until you get rid of that boat!
You have also given permission to the lake gremlins to take anything that is not tied down, as you race about the lake in your euphoric state. Therefore I implore you to tie a strap on your children (and dogs) so they don't fly overboard and are not missed until you are 5 miles down the lake.
Take pictures of that favorite rod and reel combo so after it gets pulled, yanked, dropped, or blown overboard, you'll have a photo to look back on with fond memories.
Be especially happy that gas is sub $2.00 a gallon as you will probably only get two miles.per gallon at WOT (wide open throttle).
When gas goes back to $3.00+ you'll want to go no further than seeing distance from the dock so the three gallons of gas will get you back to the ramp.
HAPPY BOATING!

XxthejuicexX 01-07-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 84539)
When you purchased that boat, you opened a hole in the lake that you will throw money into until you get rid of that boat!
You have also given permission to the lake gremlins to take anything that is not tied down, as you race about the lake in your euphoric state. Therefore I implore you to tie a strap on your children (and dogs) so they don't fly overboard and are not missed until you are 5 miles down the lake.
Take pictures of that favorite rod and reel combo so after it gets pulled, yanked, dropped, or blown overboard, you'll have a photo to look back on with fond memories.
Be especially happy that gas is sub $2.00 a gallon as you will probably only get two miles.per gallon at WOT (wide open throttle).
When gas goes back to $3.00+ you'll want to go no further than seeing distance from the dock so the three gallons of gas will get you back to the ramp.
HAPPY BOATING!

Sounds about spot on.

tkwalker 01-07-2019 01:07 PM

Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:

HAPPY BOATING!

All True !! ....... :eek: ...... <'TK><;)

Flatline 01-07-2019 02:11 PM

Quote:

HAPPY BOATING!

Did I ever mention that I used to own a couple of Harley's ? Yea... the second one was a Ultra Classic Electraglide. My first expense was driving from TN to Miami Fla (that was in Feb) by then I had to replace a lot of the chrome because of the salty air and the tires... By July I decided to ride cross country to Sturgis.. Oh the memories. And I believe gas was somewhere around $3 a gal.. I mean I remember paying $20+ just to fill up the tank. So Yea I know about throwing money out the window.. btw I have Harley accessories for sale :)

My euphoric state... I plead guilty. :p

You see I sold my bike in 2012 to help finance my shop. So you can say I have been without the wind in my hair for a while. I couldn't help myself yesterday, the
euphoric state I was in, scooting cross the lake with the wind in my hair on my trusty water craft... the thrill of speeding inches off the water, with the smooth hum of that 4 cyl 4 stroke Merc singing in my ears.... compound the high with this being my first "real" boat... So you see I just couldn't help myself.

What are the odds of me finding that preserver you think ?
Does the lady of the lake ever give up the accidental sacrifices ?

agelesssone 01-07-2019 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 84545)
Did I ever mention that I used to own a couple of Harley's ? Yea... the second one was a Ultra Classic Electraglide. My first expense was driving from TN to Miami Fla (that was in Feb) by then I had to replace a lot of the chrome because of the salty air and the tires... By July I decided to ride cross country to Sturgis.. Oh the memories. And I believe gas was somewhere around $3 a gal.. I mean I remember paying $20+ just to fill up the tank. So Yea I know about throwing money out the window.. btw I have Harley accessories for sale :)

My euphoric state... I plead guilty. :p

You see I sold my bike in 2012 to help finance my shop. So you can say I have been without the wind in my hair for a while. I couldn't help myself yesterday, the
euphoric state I was in, scooting cross the lake with the wind in my hair on my trusty water craft... the thrill of speeding inches off the water, with the smooth hum of that 4 cyl 4 stroke Merc singing in my ears.... compound the high with this being my first "real" boat... So you see I just couldn't help myself.

What are the odds of me finding that preserver you think ?
Does the lady of the lake ever give up the accidental sacrifices ?

Lady lake hordes those blown out offerings the way a miser would hold onto a $100.00 bill he found on the street...
Or like SAMBOLIE would a two pound bass, if he were ever to snag one.

I lost a Mustang flotation jacket (with a $500.00 pistol in the pocket) a few years ago. Hard to believe no one ever turn those items in to the police, huh?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TNBronzeback 01-07-2019 10:07 PM

Quote:

HAPPY BOATING!

Lmao.....no complaints with my gas sipping Yamaha 4-stroke.

TNBronzeback 01-07-2019 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XxthejuicexX (Post 84541)
Sounds about spot on.

Lucky for me, i only snap rods when i setting the hook on a TOAD walleye in normandy. Or the stump that swallowed my $8 jigging rap.
That was my favorite jigging rod too. (sigh)
((stupid stumps that feel like a fish...lol))

XxthejuicexX 01-07-2019 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNBronzeback (Post 84552)
Lucky for me, i only snap rods when i setting the hook on a TOAD walleye in normandy. Or the stump that swallowed my $8 jigging rap.
That was my favorite jigging rod too. (sigh)
((stupid stumps that feel like a fish...lol))

That stump hook set was the highlight of the day..... whomp whomp whomp. I caught a walleye while I was in Illinois over Christmas fishing for crappie, Went 15" needed 18" to keep..... thought long and hard about hiding him in the back pack.

XxthejuicexX 01-07-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNBronzeback (Post 84551)
Lmao.....no complaints with my gas sipping Yamaha 4-stroke.

Not all of us have 4 Stroke money.....

Next boat I buy will have a 4 stroke, it's worth the extra cash up front.