FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Caney Fork 3-23-12 (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=5025)

MNfisher 03-24-2012 11:34 PM

Caney Fork 3-23-12

4 Attachment(s)
Well some days the fishing Gods just smile upon us and there is nothing we can do wrong! Well Friday was just that for me. I fished the boils of the generators and caught tons of fish. Many stripe, about a dozen trout, and actually had 4 largemouths! 1 was decent too! I have never caught a largemouth down there before! I managed a 22-23" brown...never measured it, but that would be my guess.. Unless you guys have a better estimate. A just under 22" rainbow and about 6 other rainbows and browns 14-18" and another half dozen smaller. Also caught my first brook, a 14 1/2 incher! It was a blast! I lost another brown that was in that 20" range also! I had nonstop action from fish the whole time I was there. Trout, bass, stripe, and skipjack!

bluemarlin 03-25-2012 08:21 AM

Can you access the area below the dam without a boat?

white95v6 03-25-2012 08:35 AM

looks like it was a ton of fun.:D

i once had a TWRA officer tell me there are no largemouths in the caney up by the damn. then i pulled it up and proved him wrong. hahah.

and yes Blue you can acces the caney below the damn without a boat. man places to choose from.

nomad60 03-25-2012 09:51 AM

Nice fish!

Scott715 03-25-2012 10:00 AM

Those are some beautiful trout. So far this is turning out to be one of the better fishing years I can remember.

jad2t 03-25-2012 11:05 AM

Man that's a heck of a fishing day! What lures were you using?

MNfisher 03-25-2012 01:00 PM

I threw a small heavy spoon a lot, a 3-way with a 3" white grub, and a 3-way with minnows. The minnows obviously worked best, but they were crushing the spoon too! All the largemouth and a few very nice rainbows came on the spoon, along with a bunch of stripe. Also through a large 2oz bucktail jig with a 7 inch white plastic worm on it to see if the rockfish were there and caught a largemouth and 2 stripe on it! HA! They were hungry for some reason!

jad2t 03-25-2012 01:29 PM

I've been trying to get into the white bass in a lot of rivers around the Smyrna area and haven't found them yet. I guess I'll try below Center Hill next time I'm in Cookeville since you're not the only person who has mentioned catching them there lately. They're great to eat and fun to catch.

MNfisher 03-25-2012 02:36 PM

Very fun to catch. I kept 11 nice ones and they are in the fridge, but have never tried them before. I am going to fry some of them up tonight!

white95v6 03-25-2012 05:26 PM

hey jimmy. have you tried the place i told you about? the white bass should be in there now. but in the next two weeks it should be on like donkey kong.

jad2t 03-25-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white95v6 (Post 20071)
hey jimmy. have you tried the place i told you about? the white bass should be in there now. but in the next two weeks it should be on like donkey kong.

I actually did, I got there early Saturday morning and fished it for a few hours. Not a single white bass :( I think it may still be a little too early.

I caught a bass, 2 trout, and a stray crappie though.

fairweatherfisherman 03-25-2012 07:57 PM

All good fish, but that is a real pretty brown.

Fishmanjoe 03-25-2012 10:14 PM

Jimmy did you try the West Fork? Way up the West and the East normally get good around this time of the year. Caught a few around the pier at Stewart's Creek boat ramp.

Fishmanjoe 03-25-2012 10:16 PM

How deep is it around there? I have been wanting to take my boat down there, but I am worried it will be too shallow. I have a 16' duck style boat with a 50hp evinrude outboard.

jad2t 03-26-2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishmanjoe (Post 20079)
Jimmy did you try the West Fork? Way up the West and the East normally get good around this time of the year. Caught a few around the pier at Stewart's Creek boat ramp.

I went there over the weekend but it was so crowded on the pier I didn't even bother. I don't like to fish elbow to elbow with people so I walked to the left but the water was too deep and it was all rocky, not the type of environment they like so I left. Thanks for the tip, I may go one evening after work and try to get some of them. I'm sure it will be much less crowded