FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fishing line (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=13250)

Flatline 09-23-2019 11:59 PM

Fishing line

A couple of months ago I spooled up some Berkley Trilene XT on a couple of my BC's. I thought I had found some killer line when I had snagged the bottom and could NOT break it, no matter how hard I pulled.

Speed time up and I'm just beside myself with this line breaking by itself... I'm talking 2/3 down it the spool. 1st reel was cleaning up a slight backlash and I found myself holding 2 section of lines for no reason at all. Stripped it and replaced it with Stren.

A few days ago I'm casting a spoon and... well I have no idea where it went, but it took 3/4 of the spool with it... this time no reason at all. I have never had line break like this before. A friend of mine says the line weakens when it get kinked like during a backlash..

So I bought a spool of Kastking copolymer, haven't tried it yet... I also bought a spool of Kastking 20# braid which I put on today and made a dozen or two casts in the back yard and I have to say I like this line... It has a pretty nice feel to it and didn't feel like I was trying to cast wire. The only thing I don't care for is it sounds like I'm trying to saw my eyes in half.. LOL

Oh and that K9 stuff... talk about memory.. that stuff redefines curly.

Texas_Rig 09-24-2019 12:31 AM

That sucks man. Chalk it up to a lesson learned. I don't use any of the line you mentioned so I can't give you my experiences with it. I keep line as simple as I can and I buy the most quality line as I can afford. I use power pro spectra for all of my top water baits. I don't use a mono leader. I fish some pretty clear lakes like Dale Hollow all the time and always use braid on every top water no matter what. For every other technique I use Sunline Sniper flourocarbon and that's it except for every now and then I'll flip with braid. I used to use some mono for cranking but I'd rather have the feel over the stretch. That's it, 2 lines and I'm very loyal to those brands as they are very good quality and if I ever break off I think it's user error by being lazy and not checking my line enough.

Schleprock 09-24-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 86518)
Oh and that K9 stuff... talk about memory.. that stuff redefines curly.

I use K9 Flouro and I love it , haven't had as many memory issues and I have found that it has less memory than some of the more expensive flouros, its the only thing I will use on my spinning reels , I also love the way it casts, since its not 100% flouro its smoother and can cast a lot further

and you get 550 yards for $18.99 :)

Flatline 09-24-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schleprock (Post 86520)
I use K9 Flouro and I love it , haven't had as many memory issues and I have found that it has less memory than some of the more expensive flouros, its the only thing I will use on my spinning reels , I also love the way it casts, since its not 100% flouro its smoother and can cast a lot further

and you get 550 yards for $18.99 :)

I've not had much issues with line on my spinning reels, but with my bait caster.. Its something else.

I do have a spool of 10# Flouro that I had forgotten about that I bought at the fishing expo this past Feb. The guys at the booth advised me that it would be good for crankbait. They sold me something else for jig and bottom fishing, I don't remember, but it was K9 brand. All I can say was after about 2 mos i could pull the line off the BC reel and it would lay on the ground in a tight curly pile.

SalmonDaze 09-24-2019 11:15 AM

Braid for backing
Flouro for leader

Learn to tie the leader to the braid (FG knot)

Keep the leader short (so you're not pulling it through the tip prior to casting)

Done.

Schleprock 09-24-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 86521)
I've not had much issues with line on my spinning reels, but with my bait caster.. Its something else.

I do have a spool of 10# Flouro that I had forgotten about that I bought at the fishing expo this past Feb. The guys at the booth advised me that it would be good for crankbait. They sold me something else for jig and bottom fishing, I don't remember, but it was K9 brand. All I can say was after about 2 mos i could pull the line off the BC reel and it would lay on the ground in a tight curly pile.

I have trouble with flouro on my spinning reel I use for for weightless flukes, I guess with the fluke spinning it winds my line up and then every once in a while I'll cast and it and a big birds nest develops halfway up the rod

Never forget one day I strung up my spinning reel with Seagur yellow label I believe, bit the bullet and spent a fortune on it, get on the lake and first cast it unraveled into a huge unfixable mess, nearly threw my rod and reel in the lake , my buddy was dying laughing , was ready to throw him in the lake lol

Buzzy15 09-24-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SalmonDaze (Post 86522)
Braid for backing

Flouro for leader

Learn to tie the leader to the braid (FG knot)

Keep the leader short (so you're not pulling it through the tip prior to casting)

Done.

I second this. Thank you for posting this. I was going to say the same thing.

I never use mono or fluoro on my BC.

Powerpro braid is what I use.

Also don’t worry about the fish “seeing” the line. I’ve been in more arguments and proved people wrong more times than I can think of when they say “fish can see the line”. Basically fish don’t know what fishing Is, if they are hungry for what you are throwing they will eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone 09-25-2019 06:34 AM

Power Pro EZ braid on everything.
No memory at all, smooth casting, no wind knots.

Flatline 09-25-2019 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 86528)
Power Pro EZ braid on everything.
No memory at all, smooth casting, no wind knots.

This yr has been an adventure.. 25 yrs ago you pretty much had Trilene and Stren... I never heard of Copolamer, Flouro or braid until I began fishing this yr. I had tried braid on that POS BC reel I got conned into buying and thought the casting issue was the line when the reel was junk all the time. I'm just baffled, beside myself on how fresh line can just break for no reason other than a simple backlash with a BC.

I will say I have been a quick study and it has been an interesting yr :D

Anyhow, I realize there is no reason for anyone to listen to my suggestion, but I'd look at Kastking braid. I found that the line to be rather supple right off the spool with good casting distance.

SAMBOLIE 09-27-2019 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flatline (Post 86531)
This yr has been an adventure.. 25 yrs ago you pretty much had Trilene and Stren... I never heard of Copolamer, Flouro or braid until I began fishing this yr. I had tried braid on that POS BC reel I got conned into buying and thought the casting issue was the line when the reel was junk all the time. I'm just baffled, beside myself on how fresh line can just break for no reason other than a simple backlash with a BC.

I will say I have been a quick study and it has been an interesting yr :D

Hope you have enjoyed your adventure as much as I have enjoyed reading about it.

agelesssone 09-27-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 86537)
Hope you have enjoyed your adventure as much as I have enjoyed reading about it.

SAMBOLIE's biggest adventures these days are usually his trips to the bathroom, wondering "IF and/or "WHEN".....

SAMBOLIE 09-27-2019 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 86538)
SAMBOLIE's biggest adventures these days are usually his trips to the bathroom, wondering "IF and/or "WHEN".....

Sometimes it is a matter of "WHERE".

agelesssone 09-27-2019 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMBOLIE (Post 86539)
Sometimes it is a matter of "WHERE".

And sometimes it's a matter of "WHOOPS"

tkwalker 09-27-2019 01:25 PM

Yep !! <'TK><

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 86541)
And sometimes it's a matter of "WHOOPS"

Are you two talking about me again !?! ..... TK :eek:

Flatline 09-27-2019 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agelesssone (Post 86538)

Ice cream sandwich followed by a glass of milk... exlax only wishes it works as good.