FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community

FishingTN.com Tennessee's Fishing and Boating Community (http://www.fishingtn.com/index.php)
-   Local Fishing (http://www.fishingtn.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pearl of the Dale A Muskie Story (http://www.fishingtn.com/showthread.php?t=8030)

unkangler 01-17-2014 11:54 AM

What a Trophy

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfindergeneral (Post 44363)
Just thought a few of you who aren't getting to wet lines in this bad weather might enjoy this... Here's a photo of Pearl
http://i467.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps19749267.jpg

What a beauty.. just wondering if anyone has heard of fish like that being caught in old hickory lake?

fishfindergeneral 01-17-2014 01:53 PM

Thanks again for your kind words fellas.

Roy, I appreciate that. The trout fishing has been slow this year and I don't believe Tdub will start the stocking until some time in mid February. I'll try to keep you posted.

Ray, anytime friend. Great story also, isn't it awesome how many life defining moments that can happen on the water to shape us into who we become. It's all about the memories for me too..

Transplanted Sportsman, glad yall were able to feel the magic, as I call it, of Dale Hollow. There is no othet place like. Once I'm there, the world melts away and I never want to leave.

UNKangler, they were native to the Cumberland river system so you never know. I personally have not heard of one but I haven't spent much time there since my days at camp Boxwell.

Transplanted Sportsman 01-17-2014 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishfindergeneral (Post 44407)

Transplanted Sportsman, glad yall were able to feel the magic, as I call it, of Dale Hollow. There is no othet place like. Once I'm there, the world melts away and I never want to leave.

Man it was so beautiful that day, even after dark, my 7 YO daughter did not want to leave (and she is afraid of the dark) we were finally forced to leave as the flashes and thunder from lightning started to get too close for comfort, so we def felt the magic!!

bd- 01-18-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkangler (Post 44401)
What a beauty.. just wondering if anyone has heard of fish like that being caught in old hickory lake?

I live on Old Hickory and fish it quite a lot, and I've never heard of a muskie there. I'd say with pretty strong confidence that they are not there. Judging by the way the muskies act on Melton Hill, if they were in Old Hickory, they would show up at the Steam Plant in the winter, and they don't.

I've heard unconfirmed rumors of them being seen long ago in Cordell Hull, but it strikes me as unlikely.

They are in the lakes and rivers on the Cumberland Plateau, and they are in several lakes just across the state line in Kentucky. In particular there is a Drakes Creek in Kentucky that has a few. However, it's a different Drakes Creek than the one that feeds into Old Hickory. I suspect that's where some of the confusion might arise when people ask if there are muskies in Old Hickory.

Travis C. 01-18-2014 01:34 PM

The only lake fish i have ever seen personally besides the one we caught with you (Dave) at Dale was at Tims years ago.

Alphahawk 01-18-2014 02:12 PM

Still a few in the Duck......still some 30 plus inch fish caught a few times.

Regards

TroutFiend 01-18-2014 03:34 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing this, my boys seen that photo a while back and would kill to catch this species. I will be contacting you for a trip with them in the future. Keep up the great work/passion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unkangler 01-18-2014 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd- (Post 44483)
I live on Old Hickory and fish it quite a lot, and I've never heard of a muskie there. I'd say with pretty strong confidence that they are not there. Judging by the way the muskies act on Melton Hill, if they were in Old Hickory, they would show up at the Steam Plant in the winter, and they don't.

I've heard unconfirmed rumors of them being seen long ago in Cordell Hull, but it strikes me as unlikely.

They are in the lakes and rivers on the Cumberland Plateau, and they are in several lakes just across the state line in Kentucky. In particular there is a Drakes Creek in Kentucky that has a few. However, it's a different Drakes Creek than the one that feeds into Old Hickory. I suspect that's where some of the confusion might arise when people ask if there are muskies in Old Hickory.

Wheew,.. that's good to know, i would hate to hook something that big when i was out relaxing (fishing) on the lake. Geeze, something like that is liable to give you a heart attack!
Just kidding.. i appreciate you taking the time to post.

fishfindergeneral 01-18-2014 07:28 PM

TroutFiend, not knowing how old your boys are, I would suggest a May trip because we could chase walleye and Smallies plus have a pretty good chance at a Muskie or November straight Muskie trip before it gets really cold out.

TroutFiend 01-18-2014 07:45 PM

Gotcha, my 2 oldest are 12 and 10. We met you last summer at Horse Creek ramp. You put us on a good Gill bed in that area. I will check your website. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishfindergeneral 01-18-2014 08:10 PM

I remember.... Met y'all at the boat ramp. At that age I'd say May for the most action.

bd- 01-20-2014 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unkangler (Post 44500)
Wheew,.. that's good to know, i would hate to hook something that big when i was out relaxing (fishing) on the lake. Geeze, something like that is liable to give you a heart attack!

Well there might not be muskies, but Old Hickory still has stripers bigger than a nuclear submarine. :)

fishfindergeneral 01-21-2014 08:38 AM

Minus the teeth.. :)

cat-tales 01-22-2014 02:59 PM

Great fish Dave, combined with Darren's talented story telling makes for a wonderful "read".

fishfindergeneral 01-26-2014 02:17 PM

I agree Gary. Have you gotten into those stripers yet?