PDA

View Full Version : Terrova or xi5 motor guide

navydocivan
02-08-2015, 03:55 AM
I am finally getting to be able to upgrade my trolling motor to either the terrova with i-pilot or the xi 5. My boat is 18' Ranger with single counsole. I would be getting the 80lb. 24v I dont believe that I neccesarily need the 101lb 36v. I am pretty sure that the TM i got now is only 56lbs. I would like to use it for trolling crappie and other species since my outbourd doesnt idle down far enough to troll. Anyone on here that can give a little advice on these units before I go and hear the B.S from bass pro shops. Seems like sometimes they really don't know what they are talking about.
I like all the features but will 80# be enough to troll all day at approx 2-3 mph in a bass boat or do i need the 100+ lbs?

Also I won't be getting the link feature.. I read that you need a 800 series hummingbird to link them I only got a 597.

Any of you with a Minn Kota Terrova. are they really as noisy as i heard some people complain? and how well does your spot lock/anchor work?

supposedly these are the benafit of the xi5 .. quieter and better spot lock and better gps tracking

TNtroller
02-08-2015, 07:12 AM
I have a 55# 12v Terrova/IP combo, on a Alumacraft 165 cs, but you will definitely need the 80# since you have a heavy Ranger glass boat. The cruise and AP functions are great when trolling for crappie or whatever as these functions really help you in boat control and frees you up to do whatever else you need or want to do while fishing. (You can almost get bored on slow days LOL).

I'm not sure the 80/24v will pull your boat at 2-3 mph for extended periods, my Terrova 55 will pull my boat at 2.3 +/- mph at top speed but the TM battery won't last long at that speed. The TM is not designed to do that. Mine will last 8 hrs when long lining at .7up to 1.2mph(single TM battery). I don't spider rig but you can use a lot of battery if the weather or current sucks when spider rigging as well trying to maintain speed or position. Pulling cranks the speed zone is 1.5 on up depending on the day. You may want to consider putting a trolling plate on the big motor for pulling cranks. I have a trolling plate in the shed I am going to install before crank season gets here.

Some people have complained about some noise from the Terrova but mine does not make any noise that I can detect except when I make course/speed changes (just the normal noise since this TM is all electric, no cables). If you long line, some noise won't matter, if you spider rig, noise could be an issue. MG's can have the same noises as they are similar in design/build.

My IP is 1st generation (3 memory locations for spot lock and recording a track) G2 have 6 for each. IMO, spot lock does not work as advertised (5' radius IIRC) but I can use it when shooting docks. The boat will drift around some, but I take advantage of that as it provides different "shot" opportunities. The TM will take you back to the spot but can be slow to respond at times. I've read the Xi5 is better at this but I don't have any 1st hand experience. If you fish brush piles, put the bow into the wind and set the memory spot for a bit closer than you would prefer so the boat will stay in position a bit longer.

Here is a recent thread on the Xi5
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishing-electronics-and-photography/300948-ix5-trolling-motor-report/

FloatNFish
02-08-2015, 10:20 AM
I have a 101lb Terrova iPilot on my 19' aluminum deep V. Overall I have been really happy with it. I don't know how I ever survived without remote control! On a calm day it will pull my boat just over 3 mph. 10-15 mph wind and I'm lucky to get 2.5. It does pretty well on battery life but if you run it wide open don't count on getting much more than a half day of fishing out of it. Noise isn't too bad at medium settings but if you're running it at 10 you're going to know it's on! Deployment is a breeze too. Overall I think there is still room for improvement but I wouldn't dream of sending it back!

Alex

navydocivan
02-09-2015, 03:06 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input, I will have to lay eyes on both and make a decision. Do either of you have a graph up front conected to it. I personally think that the transducer that they put on the thing is worthless since you cant do down image or side image. I cant see myself buying a big enough unit to actually be able to link it. I also think that you have to but the " link " as a option on the TM which i believe is extra $400. I am think of getting the Helix 5 graph with the down image and GPS they seen fairly priced for what you get. The only problem is i believe they only work with a micro SD card and my maps card i got is SD..

Anyone got the Helix that can comment on how they like it ?

TNtroller
02-09-2015, 06:41 AM
I have a HB 788 ci HD on my TM via the old fashion way of a large clamp. I saw no reason to get the US2 option either. 2d works just fine for me right now, I have a HDS 8/SS at the console and have plans to network a HDS 7 G2 in soon.

SalmonDaze
02-09-2015, 09:18 AM
Before you do the Bass Pro purchase:

http://www.trollingmotors.net/

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/productlist/boating/trolling-motors?d=116&c=514

among others.

FloatNFish
02-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Or keep an eye on eBay for a refurb. I got mine for $800 less than retail with a factory warranty.

TerryD
02-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Also watch Cabelas. They sell refurbished units at deeply discounted prices. The refurbs have a 1 year warranty versus 2 years on a new one.
TerryD

Adrian
02-11-2015, 06:55 PM
I sold my 70lb iPilot rig a few months ago & I'm getting the Xi5 because I have the Lowrance Touch I want to Network with it.

The Only Problem I see with the Motorguide is that there is NO display on the Motorguide Remote. I'm so used to looking at the Minn Kota screen to know what speed I'm on. That's a BUMMER! I reckon I'm going to have to Guess what frickin' speed I'm going.

TNtroller
02-12-2015, 06:44 AM
just put the speed on that touch screen.