PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Rig / TN Rig ?'s

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 09:58 AM
Hey guys, I am thinking about seeing what these are all about.

Can any of you experienced rigs anglers provide some pros/cons or setup suggestions for them? 5 bars with 2 dummies or 3 bars with 3 baits?

Take it as I am clueless (which isn't to far from the truth on these). I do understand the regulations portion of this bait so we can skip over that unless someone else inquires about it.

Thanks!

Reel Tune
02-05-2015, 10:06 AM
They make them as small as something you can throw on a spinning reel, or as large as having to use specialized equipment.

Some of the small ones I've seen are for Crappie, but could be used for other species. It would need as small as a medium action rod. I have one that has around 8 wires, and I've put up to 5" baits and 1/2oz heads on it. That's when you get into heavier line, rods, and reels.

Use them when gamefish are targeting schooling fish.

They can get expensive, loose 8 baits, 8 jig heads, and 1 rig, and it cost upwards of $25-$30. I personally have not had a lot of success, and it could be where, or how I'm using it. Yes, I have caught fish with it, but it's not a super bait, or super technique. There is a time and place for it.

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 10:40 AM
It catches fish, but it's not magic. You must be around fish just like anything else. I throw the 3 rig most of the time here in TN.... sometimes I am bad and break the law. If all I had were 5 rigs I would try and put spinner bait blades on the extra 2 after rigging it with three swimbaits. I think the flash helps out. I usually throw it with 1 odd colored swimbait, chartreuse or similar if I am throwing shad colors as the trailer of the group. 65lb braid or greater, long rod med/heavy action. I also do not throw it with a leader, seems pointless since you have wire everywhere. If the fish sees the braid and does not bite but misses the wires hanging off the a-rig, sucks to be you. When I started fishing it a couple years ago I did not have the proper set up, lost way more fish than I caught, make sure your equipment can handle it.

jad2t
02-05-2015, 10:43 AM
If you want to cheat you can just use dynamite. :D

Waiting for the forum to explode (pun intended) in 3...2...1...

jad2t
02-05-2015, 10:51 AM
In all seriousness though, I've thought about buying some for Crappie since they're smaller and cheaper. That way if (when) I lose one it's not as frustrating.

MNfisher
02-05-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm definitely going to dabble in this a bit this year.

Mike

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 11:02 AM
My local dicks has the Terminator brand A-rig on clearance. I got some for 5 bucks each.

jad2t
02-05-2015, 11:08 AM
FYI - A few guys in our kayak angling community did pretty well this Winter on Williamsport Lakes using A-Rigs and PTL swimbaits. They definitely work and like I said, I very well may try some smaller ones for Crappie and see how I like it. I never understood why there was such outrage over these rigs and calling it a cheater lure. You can have 65 baits on one rig if you want and you still can't catch fish if you don't know where they are and when to use the rig!

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 11:29 AM
I'm hitting priest Saturday after I go by the show for some smallmouth, I will have the A-rig tied (Legal one) on because a couple of the locations I am fishing have been known to hold striper/hybrids. I hope it works magic for me. I could see how the rig would work well on Williamsport. The time I went last year I found fish suspended everywhere.

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 11:32 AM
Interesting.

Thanks for the thoughts and input so far. I bought a Terminator Rig and will be weighing it today with baits to see the end result. If I don't care for the weight or have gear I feel to handle will just take the rig back.

How hard is casting it seated position in a kayak? That is where 98% of my fishing is done from.

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Interesting.

Thanks for the thoughts and input so far. I bought a Terminator Rig and will be weighing it today with baits to see the end result. If I don't care for the weight or have gear I feel to handle will just take the rig back.

How hard is casting it seated position in a kayak? That is where 98% of my fishing is done from.

It's not too difficult out of a yak, you lose some distance but it still goes a mile. If you don't catch fish on it quickly it gets old fast, it's just so stinking heavy.

jad2t
02-05-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm hitting priest Saturday after I go by the show for some smallmouth, I will have the A-rig tied (Legal one) on because a couple of the locations I am fishing have been known to hold striper/hybrids. I hope it works magic for me. I could see how the rig would work well on Williamsport. The time I went last year I found fish suspended everywhere.

NO! Save your catches for after Kayak Wars starts!!

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 11:45 AM
NO! Save your catches for after Kayak Wars starts!!

I have plenty of catches for the Kayak wars, what I don't have is a 5th teammate :)

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 02:16 PM
I have plenty of catches for the Kayak wars, what I don't have is a 5th teammate :)

Still haven't filled that spot yet?

Better get crackin on it or get Merv a yak.

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 02:31 PM
Still haven't filled that spot yet?

Better get crackin on it or get Merv a yak.

I have an extra emotion glide, it's not a fishing yak but it would work.

browntrout
02-05-2015, 02:37 PM
Interesting.

Anyone fishing within 1/2 a mile of you will be your new best friend. Thing sounds like your throwing concrete blocks in the water......not a fan.

Roy

agelesssone
02-05-2015, 03:13 PM
The last fish I caught on a Cast A-rig was a 25 lb rockfish at GSP.
Have caught lots of LM bass on it too.
I prefer an 8' heavy action rod to cast them with. I use three 1/8 oz jig heads with 5/0 hooks and six inch pearl white split tail flukes.
Cast it out, give it a 2 count and slow steady retrieve.
I use the A-rig made by Terror baits that has five wires, 11 willow blades. Three baits and two teaser tails. Chartreuse 4 inch sassy shad or the 6 inch pearl white flukes.
BUT! The bait that is deadliest for the stripers is just a 1/2 oz jig head and the fluke. That bait accounts for a high percentage of the rockies caught anywhere. So you are throwing $2.00 lure rather than a $30.00 A-rig. I've had a couple A-rigs stolen from me by overly aggressive rockfish.

agelesssone
02-05-2015, 03:17 PM
If I were to get into yak fishing, I'd have to wait for warm weather/water.
With my balance and coordination, I'd probably wind up wading as much as yakkin!

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 03:36 PM
I ended up taking the big one back.

I may try the smaller one first or looking more into bigger swimbaits opposed to multiple smaller baits.

XxthejuicexX
02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
I ended up taking the big one back.

I may try the smaller one first or looking more into bigger swimbaits opposed to multiple smaller baits.

Go big or go Home!!!! I'm Kidding. I have one of the little single bait Arigs with 4 spinner bait blades on it, never caught a damn thing on it.

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Go big or go Home!!!! I'm Kidding. I have one of the little single bait Arigs with 4 spinner bait blades on it, never caught a damn thing on it.

LOL... that is true in some scenarios.

I have been tinkering with modifying some 7" baits. Haven't caught a fish under 30" on it. ;)

SAMBOLIE
02-05-2015, 04:18 PM
LOL... that is true in some scenarios.

I have been tinkering with modifying some 7" baits. Haven't caught a fish under 30" on it. ;)

I have numerous baits that I haven't caught a fish under 30" on. They also haven't caught any over 30".

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 04:32 PM
I have numerous baits that I haven't caught a fish under 30" on. They also haven't caught any over 30".

I do as well... :D

This one is gonna be a good one though since now I have found what I want it to do. So far different variations of the same mod has produced 30", 42" and last weekend a 33".

SAMBOLIE
02-05-2015, 05:50 PM
I do as well... :D

This one is gonna be a good one though since now I have found what I want it to do. So far different variations of the same mod has produced 30", 42" and last weekend a 33".

Leave it alone. You went from 30 up to 42 and down to 33. Keep it up and you can get it down to 15".:D

Travis C.
02-05-2015, 05:55 PM
leave it alone. You went from 30 up to 42 and down to 33. Keep it up and you can get it down to 15".:d

ha!

culprit7.5
02-06-2015, 11:24 AM
I had some questions regarding these myself a while back and found this video to be quite informative. Just thought I'd put it out there.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16514478/twra-clarifies-umbrella-rig-regulation-for-tennessee-anglers

eksfish
02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Video is good, interesting that even the TWRA rep admitted there was a lot of confusion, even among some in the Department.

tacklemake
02-07-2015, 09:26 PM
So beware out there if you are using more then 3 wire rig and more spinner blades then 3. I have used a 3 wire rig w/3 baits and have caught fish but watch out when you throw it . Some times it will cart wheel in air and tangle up your rig and if it finds a tree kiss it good bye. Now I have found where you can get a 5 wire rig with 6" arms with no baits on it for $2 each at Wlure.com w/ free shipping but they are made in China and they work as good as the high dollar ones...................woody

tacklemake
02-09-2015, 05:09 PM
I check the 2015 TWRA and found out the 5 wire with 3 baits with hooks and the other two wires with 1 spinner each was OK to use in Tennessee and that video was made in 2012..................woody

XxthejuicexX
02-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Man, I just don't know how much I would trust a 3 dollar A-rig. Are they a name brand that's just not labeled and sold under a generic name?

Headhunter
02-09-2015, 05:49 PM
I have a striper bait I make and it catches them when the big fish are around. Smallest I have caught on it is 17 and the largest is just over 30. My best morning I caught a dozen stripers, smallest was 19, largest was 26. It is a 12" sluggo that I pour. I took 9" sluggos and cut them and burned them back together until they were 12" long and made a mold. Pour them in pearl white and they catch fish. I fish them with an 11/0 owner.

creekcrappie
02-09-2015, 06:01 PM
I really like the Yumbrella rigs and flash mobs. Strike Kind swimbait heads are the best hands down. I use Go 2 Jolt swimbaits because they have the most action and I can fish them at any speed.

XxthejuicexX
02-09-2015, 07:03 PM
I really like the Yumbrella rigs and flash mobs. Strike Kind swimbait heads are the best hands down. I use Go 2 Jolt swimbaits because they have the most action and I can fish them at any speed.

I need some new swimbaits. I like the Missile bait shockwaves but I am all for trying new tackle.

Travis C.
02-10-2015, 09:13 AM
Has or does anyone fish the regular old Powerbait Swim shads on them (that style) or is it better off with a jighead+swimbait?

I went back and picked up the smaller Yumbrella Ultralight. I will start there then work up in size if I am happy with results.

XxthejuicexX
02-10-2015, 09:47 AM
I have fished with the storm pre rigged baits and never cared for them, not much action. I think most of those don't have a long enough body to get good action out of.

oldhick
02-10-2015, 05:20 PM
Threw an Arig late Sunday afternoon. Little swimbaits on it. Hooked a striper which swirled on the surface and headed for deep water. About 50 yards of braid later, I tried to turn her - straightened a pretty darn strong swimbait jig head.

Wasn't fishing for striper but I want a second chance now.

3 baits were 3.5" and 2 were little 2" grubs.

agelesssone
02-10-2015, 05:32 PM
You need serious hooks when fishing in rockfish waters. I've had them straighten hooks that I wasn't able to reshape. Strong fish.

And you never know if it's a 5 lb'er or a 50 lb'er till you get it to the boat.

Travis C.
02-10-2015, 05:50 PM
I have fished with the storm pre rigged baits and never cared for them, not much action. I think most of those don't have a long enough body to get good action out of.

I fished it today at lunch with the 3" 1/4oz Powerbait Shads (pre-rigged) and it looks really good in the water. I didn't have to unhook many tangles between baits either.

Passed the eye test for me anyways. We shall see soon.

Travis C.
02-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Threw an Arig late Sunday afternoon. Little swimbaits on it. Hooked a striper which swirled on the surface and headed for deep water. About 50 yards of braid later, I tried to turn her - straightened a pretty darn strong swimbait jig head.

Wasn't fishing for striper but I want a second chance now.

3 baits were 3.5" and 2 were little 2" grubs.

Depending on where your at let it run next time. I have caught quite a few striper on heavy and light gear. Sometimes you run into bad hooks but sometimes you run into strong braid + stiff rod too. Have caught some toads on 10lb braid and 4" baits.

XxthejuicexX
02-10-2015, 06:26 PM
I have not had to many chances to straighten out hooks with a striper but I have hooked into a couple Gar on 65lb braid with #6 and #8 treble hooks and straightened those out. I know they are not as stout as swimbait hooks but I would have to guess decent fish since I have only done it twice and never had a chance to see the fish because they took off like a freight train.

tacklemake
02-10-2015, 08:05 PM
If you are going to play with the big fish you don't use wire hooks only forged hooks if you want a chance to landed them and 30lb braid with the drag set right not tight....................woody

agelesssone
02-10-2015, 09:05 PM
Woody's absolutely right, (LOOK OUT! THE SKY IS GOING TO FALL!), wire hooks and big stripers are a recipe for lost fish.

The hook I alluded to in my earlier post was a salt water hook that couldn't be straightened back into shape. Two sets of pliers and I couldn't begin to reshape it. and I WORK OUT!!!!!

Have no idea how big the fish was, never got it close to the boat.

http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/Twistedhook_zps8ba19fa6.jpg.html

http://http://s1276.photobucket.com/user/agelesssone/media/Twistedhook_zps8ba19fa6.jpg.html

XxthejuicexX
02-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Look at that, the secret Merv striper swimbait color!!

agelesssone
02-11-2015, 07:30 AM
DAMMIT! I didn't even think about that!

Travis C.
02-11-2015, 09:31 AM
If you are going to play with the big fish you don't use wire hooks only forged hooks if you want a chance to landed them and 30lb braid with the drag set right not tight....................woody

That is true but not iron clad absolute. Depending on what you are referring to as big.

50"+ yes
40"+ maybe
30"+ no
20"+ definitely not

In my opinion...

tacklemake
02-11-2015, 07:38 PM
You got to remember I moved here from Maryland and big is 50" and up. When I made baits there the smallest jig head was 4 ounce and the biggest was 36 ounce for stripers...................woody

XxthejuicexX
02-11-2015, 08:07 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/9a3bb14fe6d8090eac162745b4db4d02.jpg

I added to the ARig collection today. Getting ready for G-ville next month and the Chick at the beginning of march.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone
02-11-2015, 08:13 PM
I am going to the Chick on March 25, fishing with Rogne Brown

(Pro Division Results: 1st - Rogne Brown from Hixson, TN, 40 lbs. 14 ozs. $4,271.00) on the 26th. Then I'll stay an extra day or two and fish on my own. Wanna go?
He also guided a fella a week later and they came in with a 49 lb sack of five bass. March is when they catch the big girls. I haven't caught a bass over 6.25 lbs and I want to catch one big one in my life so I'm going out with this guy because he definitely knows what he is doing on the Chick.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/02/11/9a3bb14fe6d8090eac162745b4db4d02.jpg

I added to the ARig collection today. Getting ready for G-ville next month and the Chick at the beginning of march.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
02-11-2015, 08:46 PM
Oh yeah, know of the guy well. Monster sacks of fish. I said Chick in March and meant May, sorry. G-ville march 13-14, Chick May 7-10th. I wanted to go earlier in the year but getting 8 guys schedules to work together is tough. I wish I could have went with you to Chick next month but I knew I had enough trips planned this spring. I leave for Crossville to play golf the last weekend of April.... still not sure why the wife puts up with me and my hobbies. You guys fishing Dallas bay or will he decide when you guys get there to the lake?

Travis C.
02-11-2015, 09:24 PM
You got to remember I moved here from Maryland and big is 50" and up. When I made baits there the smallest jig head was 4 ounce and the biggest was 36 ounce for stripers...................woody

I know Woody no worries on my end. I appreciate all points of view. Salt stripers are the big brothers of these freshwater's anyways. Whole different game.

Those are some huge jigs. Bottom bouncers on a three way or in heavy rips?

agelesssone
02-11-2015, 11:08 PM
Oh yeah, know of the guy well. Monster sacks of fish. I said Chick in March and meant May, sorry. G-ville march 13-14, Chick May 7-10th. I wanted to go earlier in the year but getting 8 guys schedules to work together is tough. I wish I could have went with you to Chick next month but I knew I had enough trips planned this spring. I leave for Crossville to play golf the last weekend of April.... still not sure why the wife puts up with me and my hobbies. You guys fishing Dallas bay or will he decide when you guys get there to the lake?

I'll be going wherever he takes me.

Never been to the lake, gonna start making annual treks there.

creekcrappie
02-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Juice, I will be up on The Chick late march for a high school tourney. Let us know how you do!

XxthejuicexX
02-12-2015, 11:34 AM
I'll be going wherever he takes me.

Never been to the lake, gonna start making annual treks there.

Depending on how well this year goes on chick we will be jumping back and forth between it and G-ville for our yearly trip. I have been scouting the lake and I really like the Dallas Bay area and a few little coves across the lake. With it being early May when I am there I am sure like G-ville you get a little of every form of spring fishing, pre,post and spawn at the same time. It's going to be fun to try out the new waters and see what works and where.

MNfisher
02-12-2015, 01:08 PM

36 oz jig?!? Do you have any pics of these? I'd really like to see one!

Mike

SAMBOLIE
02-12-2015, 05:13 PM

Mike
Good catch, Mike.

I also want to see the equipment used to fish them. Can you imagine casting 36 ozs all day. :)

No hook needed. Just throw the lure over the side and hope it hits the fish on the way down.

tacklemake
02-12-2015, 05:22 PM

Mike

You can stop by and I will show you some,Merv has seen the jig head and it takes a 12/0 hook...................woody