PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful day at Normandy.

Alphahawk
02-03-2015, 06:44 PM
Headed to Normandy this morning as the release schedule said they would be cutting flow down to 300 CFS. They cut it back at 10:30 to just a little over 200 CFS. I got there at ten and was fishing the area at the handicap ramp. Was catching a trout every five minutes or so. When the flow decreased went to my spot where the trout are usually stacked up. It is a little riffle dropping into about a 4 foot deep pool. Well they were there and while I did not catch one on every cast the action was fast and furious. Nothing big.....just the regular stockers. I sat on my bucket and pulled 79 trout out of the same spot until I figured I had had enough fun for one day and headed home. The weather was beautiful and no wind at all. Just a lot of fun on a 7' 4" UL Major Craft SkyRoad Ajing Rod using 3# test Razor fluorocarbon. I started out using a chartreuse head with a pink body and was picking up a few fish. Since the shad kill was going on tried a white body but after 10 casts didn't even get a hit. Switched over to a Bison colored body and it was on. Hopefully they will soon get the flow down to 100 CFS. Going to try to hit Pickwick tomorrow and get into some white bass...maybe another Smallie or whatever bites.

Regards

SAMBOLIE
02-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Some days it isn't worth the drive. Is it? :D

Alphahawk
02-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Some days it isn't worth the drive. Is it? :D

Always worth the drive Ott. Sometimes I don't get the results I would like...I did today....but always worth the effort. Warming up for my trip out to the Little Red in the spring with my son. Just practicing setting the hook....LOL.

Regards

TroutFiend
02-03-2015, 07:35 PM
Awesome awesome day. some people will say it's the flourocarbon, some folks will say it's the bison colored trout magnet some will say it's the man. I think there is something about this mysterious bucket that you set upon that we need to investigate. Just kidding glad you had a great day.😂
Were you using a split shot?

SAMBOLIE
02-03-2015, 07:38 PM
Always worth the drive Ott. Sometimes I don't get the results I would like...I did today....but always worth the effort. Warming up for my trip out to the Little Red in the spring with my son. Just practicing setting the hook....LOL.

Regards

Randy, I do not think you need any more practice. The fish need to practice staying away from your lure.

However, Juice will be demonstrating his hook set technique at the show. If you watch him you will know what not to do.

Alphahawk
02-03-2015, 07:43 PM
Awesome awesome day. some people will say it's the flourocarbon, some folks will say it's the bison colored trout magnet some will say it's the man. I think there is something about this mysterious bucket that you set upon that we need to investigate. Just kidding glad you had a great day.😂
Were you using a split shot?

Well it is the fluorocarbon...and the Bison...and I suppose the dumping of around 9,000 trout in the 6 mile stretch of the river since November has a lot to do with it....LOL. Used two size B split shots today. The ideal flow....for twitching....where I was fishing today, is around 150 CFS or lower. These trout have been gorging on the shad. By April there will be some real fatties in there and will put up quite a tussle. That place is full of crawfish and those trout put on weight quick over there.

Regards

Alphahawk
02-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Randy, I do not think you need any more practice. The fish need to practice staying away from your lure.

However, Juice will be demonstrating his hook set technique at the show. If you watch him you will know what not to do.

LOL.......I'm bringing Juice a bunch of 6-8 pound test line....but I think what he needs is to step down to the 2# test. Maybe Jeff Smith will give him a spool at the show. So Juice don't forget...if I'm not there the line will be in a bag for you at the booth.

Regards

XxthejuicexX
02-03-2015, 07:54 PM
LOL.......I'm bringing Juice a bunch of 6-8 pound test line....but I think what he needs is to step down to the 2# test. Maybe Jeff Smith will give him a spool at the show. So Juice don't forget...if I'm not there the line will be in a bag for you at the booth.

Regards

Thank you for remembering that! I will be there Saturday morning, Hope to get to meet you guys. I can give you some tips on setting the hook with trout magnets, I've gotten pretty good, Jimmy can vouch for it. Great day on the water too.

tsuggs
02-04-2015, 05:00 PM
Nice job alpha.Great report and pics!