PDA

View Full Version : Nice hour at Normandy

Alphahawk
01-29-2015, 06:02 PM
Got out of doctor apt late today and was really wanting to fish. Had a little lunch and headed to Normandy. Only stayed a little over an hour. Used my 7' 4" rod to catch two dozen trout. They were really active. Caught them on a Bison Trout Magnet. Thought white would be the color as a shad kill is still going on but they wanted dark colors. Had my Daiwa Certate reel spooled with Yamatoyo Razor Fluorocarbon in 3# test. Stuff casts like a dream...better than any other light fluorocarbon I have ever tried. Had to use a 5mm Boogie Ball tungsten jig head. The flow is right at 500 CFS...still a little high to fish the 1/64 TM jig head.

Regards

CreekWalker
01-29-2015, 06:20 PM
Alpha I always enjoy your posts.

I fish plenty enough to justify a high dollar reel but have yet to fork out anything over $90 for a spinning reel. Is that Certate really worth the EXTRA money?

riverhawkluke
01-29-2015, 07:19 PM
Way to go Alpha! caught 56 last saturday on the harpeth, I have never trie the boogie balls, they look interesting.

tsuggs
01-29-2015, 07:49 PM
Great report alpha , that's fast fun in an hour!!

MNfisher
01-29-2015, 08:02 PM
Great fun Alpha!

Mike

Alphahawk
01-29-2015, 08:37 PM
Great report alpha , that's fast fun in an hour!!

The fish were very active. A fly guy was there catching also. Had the water been at 250 CFS instead of the 500 could have been much better...plus it was prefrontal.....I believe it is best to fish before the front ...but that is just my opinion....I'm going to go no matter if it is pre or post front....LOL

Regards

Alphahawk
01-29-2015, 09:19 PM

I fish plenty enough to justify a high dollar reel but have yet to fork out anything over $90 for a spinning reel. Is that Certate really worth the EXTRA money?

Thanks for your comments.....in a way tough question though. I don't think one needs to spend that kind of money to catch fish......and I don't want to get a flame war going here about spending too much money on equipment when the guy next to you has a 39 dollar reel and he is catching more fish than you...LOL. But to answer your question...yes..the reel is worth it. This is the "JDM" version of the reel and I paid $280 for it. The USA version is over 500 bucks. When buying JDM you get a warranty but it has to go back to Japan if something goes wrong.....Daiwa, nor Shimano USA, will repair or service any of their reels you buy in Japan at their service centers here in the states. Having said that if a reel is out of warranty and needs repaired sending even a US domestic market reel in to a USA service center can be cost prohibitive. I have read several posts over on TackleTour about the cost of repair for some reels...in other words it would just be better to buy a new reel. Who would pay 200 bucks for a repaired reel when a new one is only 250 bucks? My best reels before the Certate were the Shimano Stradic FJ. A great reel, but in no way compares to the Shimano and Certate out of Japan....they won't even come close. When fighting those fish the past two days everything went perfect. The drag on the reel is smoother than anything I have ever had in my hands. There is no flex in the body of the reel when fighting the fish. It is just a superb piece of machinery. One thing to keep in mind about the Certate...be it bought in the USA or Japan. They use what is called Mag Seal on them. It is an oil that has been magnetized and seals out water...and debris from the workings of the reel. From all I have read about Mag Seal it will be several years before any maintenance is required on those reels....if even then. I didn't just decide to buy these reels on the spur of the moment. I did months of reading before making my decision. Buying JDM gear can be a slippery slope....meaning you are buying sight unseen. I have purchased 3 reels and 4 rods are in hand and one more rod is in route....and I will be buying more as I am replacing all my one piece rods. I also see one more reel in the near future. Hope that has answer your question.

Regards

Alphahawk
01-29-2015, 09:56 PM

CreekWalker....check out this video...this is why we need the Certate...LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AyFGUUh3o

CreekWalker
01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
CreekWalker....check out this video...this is why we need the Certate...LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4AyFGUUh3o

Thanks Alpha! I don't know where this stream is at but I'd sure like to! That reel took a pounding.

CrappieMan
01-30-2015, 09:50 PM
Very nice alpha... I have no clue how that guy didn't break that rod lol... I'm pretty impressed with that rod too!

CrappieMan
01-30-2015, 09:55 PM
To clarify had only watched half the video speaking of the cork handle rod when he kept holding the rod above the cork