PDA

View Full Version : Fishing South Carolina Early Fall

jad2t
01-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Anyone have experience with the Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head area during October? My wife and I are possibly planning a vacation down there and I'm trying to determine whether it's worth bringing the yak and gear. Lol... like it's ever not worthwhile to bring it :D

I was thinking it would be really cool to catch some Stripers in the surf but from what I've read, they don't quite behave the same way down there as the Northern ones do as far as their migration patterns. I've found some muddy waters South of there, Winyah Bay and Mud Bay that I've read have some good redfish and speck fishing but it's a long boat ride to get to them and I haven't found a spot to launch the yak within a reasonable paddle. Looks like Hilton Head offers a lot more marshy water to get to and fish for Reds and Trout. That looks like the better option.

If anyone has had luck with other species in the surf or canals/bays around that area let me know. Thanks.

riverhawkluke
02-04-2015, 04:56 PM
I fish the backwater creek on Pawley's Island quite a bit, if you can get there, it is worth it. Lots of flounder, you can catch them on bucktails, gulp swimming mullets, or live mud minnows trolled. Reds and Specks will hit live shrimp, and pinfish, but I use Gulp shrimp on a jig head. Great fishing back there, also some good topwater bite on Mirro-lures. As far as fishing in the surf, I have not fished much out there, but I am sure there is good fishing.

jad2t
02-05-2015, 04:21 PM
Thanks a lot for the info but we decided to go to Hilton Head and that's a loooong way away from there. The Mackay Creek area looks excellent to me. We're going to be there mid-late October so I'm not sure what the pattern is that time of year but it shouldn't be too different from the area you mentioned. Is the fishing good in those marshy backwaters that time of year or do the cool water temps send them elsewhere?

Mr.Duk
02-05-2015, 07:18 PM
You are going at prime redfish season. Get ready to be drug about
:)

riverhawkluke
02-05-2015, 11:31 PM
PM sent

MNfisher
02-06-2015, 06:18 AM
If it's anything like Florida. Once the water starts cooling, the trout will find the holes amongst the shallow flats. And the Reds will start to school more. Should be good

Mike

jad2t
02-08-2015, 11:01 AM
I sure do like what I'm reading so far, thanks for the info fellas. I'm really looking forward to getting the yak out there and doing some sight fishing for redfish in those marshy areas. Oh the memories of doing this in the Florida Bay, there's nothing like it.