PDA

View Full Version : Cold at Pickwick.

Alphahawk
01-15-2015, 09:42 PM
Headed to Pickwick hoping to get in on some white bass...Pickwick was spilling until further notice.......putting out about 100,000 CFS. So as I get settled in they start closing the gates one by one....LOL. Down there when that water starts dropping like that the striper and white bass head down river. Went over by the lock and caught a few Kentucky bass and some yellow bellies. There was one boat at the wing wall jigging for sauger and I asked him what water temp was....44 degrees. He wasn't catching any sauger. I was trying out the new JDM ultra light rods today and I sure do like them. Very sensitive and a lot of fun. Going to try Nickajack tomorrow and hope the water is a little warmer down there.

Regards

metaniumxg
01-16-2015, 01:01 AM
Sounds like you had fun. Were these caught off the bank? Ive never been but Im always up for new places that have good bank fishing.

Reel Tune
01-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Nice Alpha, looks like you really like that new rod.

Alphahawk
01-16-2015, 06:02 PM
Nice Alpha, looks like you really like that new rod.

Yeah Jeremy the rods are nice. Was able to see how they stack up with a large fish today as I caught two drum that went over 4 pounds each. Was worried how a .7 mm diameter tip would do with larger fish. Caught a few pretty yellow perch today. They are not big and if I could have gotten into about a 100 would have kept them...but not big enough nor enough of them.

Regards

Alphahawk
01-16-2015, 06:05 PM
Sounds like you had fun. Were these caught off the bank? Ive never been but Im always up for new places that have good bank fishing.

Bank fishing below the dam at Pickwick is some of the best fishing in the state. It really shines from spring through fall....and winter is good also if the crappie and sauger show up....so far this winter they have not.

Regards

jaystaler88
01-18-2015, 05:08 PM
I've seen yellow perch on the TN State fishing regs/limits, but always wondered where they were found. Must be pretty rare down here? Ever see any with the size/quantity that our northern friends are pulling through the ice?

Alphahawk
01-18-2015, 05:23 PM
I've seen yellow perch on the TN State fishing regs/limits, but always wondered where they were found. Must be pretty rare down here? Ever see any with the size/quantity that our northern friends are pulling through the ice?

I've seen a few decent ones below dam at Pickwick but nothing like up north. East TN has some nice ones and quantity. I have brought home a few each year and they sure are good.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk