PDA

View Full Version : Cheatham White bass?

jaystaler88
01-11-2015, 06:00 PM
Hey guys,

Just got a boat that I'll be keeping near Cheatham and was wondering when do you see the white bass stacking up near the dam? That is, considering if there are any left after our little friends killed 360 over the limit back in 2013.

I've fished runs before and had luck on pretty much anything when they are stacked up, mostly stuff with a silver or golden blade on it. We fly fish a lot and wanted to try throwing some clousers or shad imitations.

Any direction on this is helpful.

Thanks

Alphahawk
01-11-2015, 07:29 PM
I would look for them when the water temps hit mid to high 50's. But they can be there at anytime really. But in the spring the big run should come when the water hits those temps. You are right in your assumption they will hit just about anything. But there are times they can be more finicky than any fish around. About 10 years ago I was fishing for them below Pickwick Dam with a 2 inch curly tail grub....a lure that I had always used to catch thousands of them on over the years. A man standing within 2 feet of me was catching one on every cast. We were casting to same spot, and I...nor anyone else...was even getting a hit. The man took pity on me and handed me a half a card of 1/32 ounce white marabou jigs. I then caught over 60 white bass.....one on every cast. So it pays to have a selection of different lures at your disposal for that odd time on the day they are finicky.

Regards

Pookie
01-11-2015, 10:01 PM
I have seen a lot of stripe fishermen use a white marabou crappie jig on a 16-18" leader behind a Little George or a Pedigo Spinrite. You can catch em 2 at a time that way.

jaystaler88
01-12-2015, 03:33 PM
Do you see them out in the current, hugging the bank/rip rap, relating to structure, or anywhere? Depth?

Thanks for the tip on the water temp, that's good to know.

Alphahawk
01-12-2015, 04:30 PM
Do you see them out in the current, hugging the bank/rip rap, relating to structure, or anywhere? Depth?

Thanks for the tip on the water temp, that's good to know.

They can.....and will do all the above. I have seen them when they will be in the dead center of a boil. You can cast to the edge and no bites.....throw dead center and they are there. Many times they will be down in the rip rap and you must get the lure down to them.....when it is like this if you are not hanging up every so often you are not going to catch them. At Pickwick there is a sidewalk that when they are spilling is under water. Whites love to run up and down that sidewalk. Many times you will find them everywhere in the water column and that makes for an easy day. But often you will think there are none around but they are there.....just have to find what they are relating to in the water and then the right lure.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

browntrout
01-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Just look for the Laotians, apparently they know where the white bass are and when they are biting.

Roy

TNBronzeback
01-12-2015, 05:49 PM
Back before i got my boat, i would fish below old hickory dam on the generator side. I would toss bobby garlands on 1/8oz jigs right on the current seam and just twitch it along the current till it swung around back to the bank and did very very well this time of year. Not alot of fish, but they were all big whitebass. Thick and chunky. Always picked up a few slob smallies too. Fish for an hour or 2 ya might catch a dozen or so but they were quality. I tried it in the boat last year but just couldnt get the same results. The action of the jig just didnt act the same in the boat.
That might help ya if your anticipating the run down at cheatham. Watch the shoreline for the movement of the water and hit the key areas and that should help ya find the fish.

creekcrappie
01-13-2015, 07:34 PM
Just look for the Laotians, apparently they know where the white bass are and when they are biting.

Roy

It just seems like everywhere they go there is about 20 of them smoking the white bass and yellow bass. If you see them there you need to pull over and fish lol.

TNBronzeback
01-13-2015, 08:50 PM
It just seems like everywhere they go there is about 20 of them smoking the white bass and yellow bass. If you see them there you need to pull over and fish lol.
Thats how i always knew the hybrids had shown up at jpp dam (lake side) in the spring. They are organized though i will give them that. On thier phones with thier friends on the opposite bank figuring out where the fish are and which direction they are going/coming from. Lol

Farley
01-14-2015, 08:33 AM

I wish they were just smoking the white bass and yellow bass. They are also smoking the undersize hybrids, undersize striper, & undersize crappie and keeping everything bigger than a butter bean. I know there are exceptions and we shouldn't sterotype and the TWRA cannot profile but it is hurting our resource no question about it. Sorry to highjack the thread.:mad:

jaystaler88
01-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Couldn't agree more. The best thing we can do is keep an eye out while we're on the water and if you see something shady just give TWRA a call. They'd rather have a false alarm than see 360 white bass dead on the boat ramp again.

One$hot1kill
01-22-2015, 01:43 AM
Hey guys...people like jaystaler88 and creekcrappie, lets not stereotype Laotians for catching fish. The Cumberland River is 1,107km long with an elevation of 92miles and the basin is 17,728 sp miles.... If you think the Laotians are catching all the white bass and destroying your resources, you need to rethink your mentality. Don't hate on the fishermen for catching the fish, maybe ya'll need to quit fishing with nightcrawlers and do some "real fishing." Let me guess....you must have been one of those kids in school to tattle tell because your solution to the problem is " Lets call TWRA when we see something suspicious"...Really? Why dont you just talk to the person if you see them doing something illegal instead you want to hide behide your phone and call law enforcement. You'll be the first one to complain when TWRA comes check YOU.

tkwalker
01-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Hey guys...people like jaystaler88 and creekcrappie, lets not stereotype Laotians for catching fish. The Cumberland River is 1,107km long with an elevation of 92miles and the basin is 17,728 sp miles.... If you think the Laotians are catching all the white bass and destroying your resources, you need to rethink your mentality. Don't hate on the fishermen for catching the fish, maybe ya'll need to quit fishing with nightcrawlers and do some "real fishing." Let me guess....you must have been one of those kids in school to tattle tell because your solution to the problem is " Lets call TWRA when we see something suspicious"...Really? Why dont you just talk to the person if you see them doing something illegal instead you want to hide behide your phone and call law enforcement. You'll be the first one to complain when TWRA comes check YOU.

First off if you were educated in this country we don't measure things in the metric system ... Like Kilometers. ... It sounds as if you were educated somewhere like Mr. Obama was ... Not Here in the USA... If you were, you need to work on your broken English ... Plus you are so far off on your measurements it is not funny !!

Secondly... Elevation measurements for a water way is above Sea Level ... Depending on what reservoir your on, on the Cumberland River chain the max would be less than 700 feet above Sea level not 92 miles ... If that was the case the highest Mountain peaks in the world fell short by about approx. 85 miles ... Get off of your soap box and get your facts straight ... if you want to defend an issue I have no problem with that but you can't do it by attacking other members ...

You are a new member and this is your first post ... And you are welcome if you have creative and positive thinking and will be an asset to our membership ... especially on fishing techniques etc ... Great...

I am going to stop here before I tell you what I really think ... What the Hell I am going to tell you anyway .... I am getting old... And Grumpy and basically what I really think ... I love my Country And I will not have anyone attacking my membership until YOU have proved to me and the membership that you have earned our respect ... So far you are batting Zero ... That is 000 in any measurement system ... Metric or English ... Basically Jinquon ... You have Pissed Off the Boss!... Can You Earn our respect?? ... If not this will be your last post as a member ... <'TK>< :)

Reel Tune
01-22-2015, 05:15 AM
The art of fishing
-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzQQeZ29g08

Pookie
01-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Just go ahead and ban the liberal bastard. It's only going to be further problems down the road.

XxthejuicexX
01-22-2015, 09:21 AM
I don't know what I find funnier. The units of wrong data he used, him calling out a guy I know who can do some " real fishing " or telling you to go talk to someone who either does not speak English or plays it off that they don't. Stereotypes are made for a reason. I know every time I have fished for white bass it's usually me and like 50 Asians, or Laotians. Last time out a gentleman pointed out to a couple of non Caucasian individuals that they had kept an illegal fish.... guess what pretty much the entire bucket was illegal fish, they did dump them out, bonus points for them. Your argument is not helped by the fact a couple of your folk were busted for over harvesting a certain fish with line sides below a dam... again. Don't ban him, different opinions are good but it does look bad when your first post is as harsh as yours was. Think of it as a compliment, Laotians can catch the hell out of some white bass... you guys have that, we have fat rednecks that catch catfish with their hands.

jad2t
01-22-2015, 10:02 AM
He obviously did some quick Wikipedia search to post those data to act like he knows more about the Cumberland than the rest of us. Hey, buddy, that 92 m height of the basin is 92 METERS, not miles.

Second of all, as far as the stereotypes go, they exist for a reason. EVERY stereotype exists for a reason, of all races and creeds. They are based on some truth and some exaggeration to assist in making funny jokes.

Anyone who has fished in Tennessee for more than 5 minutes has probably seen one or both of two groups of people, Asians and Mexicans, poaching fish either by keeping undersized fish, over the limit of fish, or doing both sometimes by means of casting nets. I've also had them pull up in a boat and start casting directly into the waters they saw me catching Hybrids from last Spring.

I've also encountered people from those groups that appear to be fishing lawfully and seem to be nice, courteous people that wouldn't do the above mentioned things. Unfortunately that is a stereotype that you have to deal with, just like people who sag their pants and wear their hat sideways are perceived as more likely to rob you. It's based on facts. Deal with it and please be part of the Laotian community who legally fishes and provides the meals for your family in the ethical, legal manner.

jad2t
01-22-2015, 10:04 AM
And as a side note, I really do wish we'd convert to using Metric units. It really does make a lot more sense from the viewpoint of someone who uses them everyday.

XxthejuicexX
01-22-2015, 10:33 AM
And as a side note, I really do wish we'd convert to using Metric units. It really does make a lot more sense from the viewpoint of someone who uses them everyday.

You keep your hippie mouth shut!

Heiny57
01-22-2015, 10:46 AM
http://www.tennessee.gov/twra/poach.html

Hey slope head. This is a country of laws. If you break them, you get punished.

The authorities frown on us shooting poachers so they ask us to call them.

MNfisher
01-22-2015, 01:09 PM

Dang engineers.

Mike

XxthejuicexX
01-22-2015, 01:42 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/22/f596c6b2ec10630f34998a6278e11c2e.jpg

SAMBOLIE
01-22-2015, 02:06 PM

I am sure the Long Rod fishing team would prefer this.

It sounds better to say you use a 10.2 cm rod.

Crazybass25
01-22-2015, 02:14 PM
what is a slope head?? Just curious...

Heiny57
01-22-2015, 02:15 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/22/f596c6b2ec10630f34998a6278e11c2e.jpg

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

lol

Fishbus
01-22-2015, 02:45 PM
According to Urban Dictionary, it is a derogatory term for Asian people.

It's OK because everyone who logs on here is a white, male, conservative, Christian American. Its not like this is on the internet or something!

Billy

what is a slope head?? Just curious...

jad2t
01-22-2015, 03:15 PM
First off if you were educated in this country we don't measure things in the metric system ... Like Kilometers. ... It sounds as if you were educated somewhere like Mr. Obama was ... Not Here in the USA...

Is that why Dear Leader Obama thought the automobile was invented in America? And why he says "Marine Corpse"?

Headhunter
01-22-2015, 05:07 PM

I don't know much about cheatam (well I have watched asians, laotians (sp?), etc.) carry stringer fulls of stripers, most under 15" out of there. Yes, I hid behind my phone (whatever that means) and called TWRA. I have been checked many times and am more than glad to be checked anytime. At cumberland city steam plant I was offered money for stripers many times. I released the fish back and told them it was illegal to sale them, only to be told then they didn't understand english after they asked me in perfect english to buy them.

back to what I was going to say, the asian, laotian fishermen (more like poachers) have basically destroyed the white bass bite in the stones river where it flows into priest. they keep everything, any size, dead or alive. They will go below Nice Mill dam with cast nets after the hatchery trout have been released and net them, some have been busted by the TWRA doing this. I have personally witnessed all of the above. Les Brown busted a pair of asians netting any and all fish in Fall Creek on Priest many years ago. I cannot get the right lead, but information I have is that a majority of the white bass, hybrids and stripers are being sold by the asians and laotians, which is highly illegal. If I ever do get it I will hide with my cell phone and do my best to get them caught. I have tried to personally talk to them. All I get is "no english". They can talk to the TWRA, maybe then they will learn english.

jad2t
01-22-2015, 05:18 PM
They will go below Nice Mill dam with cast nets after the hatchery trout have been released and net them

I cannot get the right lead, but information I have is that a majority of the white bass, hybrids and stripers are being sold by the asians and laotians, which is highly illegal.

I've witnessed that too and it's infuriating. My guess is that if they're not selling those fish they're being used as "Snapper", "Grouper", etc. at your local sushi joint.

Headhunter
01-22-2015, 05:18 PM
About the only time in my life I have ever been scared fishing was by a boatful of laotians. I was anchored below cheatam, out of the current, one generator running. Several boats were lined up. the Basstracker of laotians came running on the lock side of boats anchored toward the dam. we all waved for them to slow down, the fish were blowing the top out of the water. They were for sure to close to the boats anchored. They went to the middle. My back is to them and out of nowhere they are running and run right by the front end of my anchored boat, I could have stepped into their boat. No clue how they missed me it was that close. they ran into the flat rock and one of them jumped out, to catch bait, unbelievable!!!! they drifted through everyone's lines, bank and boats. they came around after they picked him up and went back out in the middle. I trolling motored to them and tried to talk to them about what they almost did and that all they had to do was idle up and let the guy out where they picked him up. NO ENGLISH IS ALL I GOT! They did the same thing the next morning. One big guy in overalls jumped in their boat and threw all their gear in the river. Never saw that boat again. Almost lost all my gear and/or got hurt or died 2 mornings in a row. Yes I do not have much patience for them.

jad2t
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM
I've heard that they often have the same disregard with the sport of hunting in regards to rules and other hunters. I haven't encountered any issues with them yet in the woods but I've had several with them on the water. From poaching to extreme lack of fishing ethics. Last Spring I was wading in a popular Spring Hybrid hotspot, we all know where this is, and a boat with 3 or 4 of them pulled up and anchored in the exact spot they watched me pull two Hybrids out of almost back to back. They began casting all around where I had obviously located a school of fish, even casting so close to me I threw my hands up asking what was wrong with them. I got smirks and "No Engrish" as a response. Being alone and a few of them in the boat, I decided not to let things escalate and moved to a different spot.

I, too, have no patience for them.

agelesssone
01-22-2015, 08:28 PM
First off if you were educated in this country we don't measure things in the metric system ... Like Kilometers. ... It sounds as if you were educated somewhere like Mr. Obama was ... Not Here in the USA... If you were, you need to work on your broken English ... Plus you are so far off on your measurements it is not funny !!

Secondly... Elevation measurements for a water way is above Sea Level ... Depending on what reservoir your on, on the Cumberland River chain the max would be less than 700 feet above Sea level not 92 miles ... If that was the case the highest Mountain peaks in the world fell short by about approx. 85 miles ... Get off of your soap box and get your facts straight ... if you want to defend an issue I have no problem with that but you can't do it by attacking other members ...

You are a new member and this is your first post ... And you are welcome if you have creative and positive thinking and will be an asset to our membership ... especially on fishing techniques etc ... Great...

I am going to stop here before I tell you what I really think ... What the Hell I am going to tell you anyway .... I am getting old... And Grumpy and basically what I really think ... I love my Country And I will not have anyone attacking my membership until YOU have proved to me and the membership that you have earned our respect ... So far you are batting Zero ... That is 000 in any measurement system ... Metric or English ... Basically Jinquon ... You have Pissed Off the Boss!... Can You Earn our respect?? ... If not this will be your last post as a member ... <'TK>< :)

LMFAO!! I friggin LOVE you, TK!!!!

Halli
01-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Before I make my Statement , I am an Army brat of an 37 year regular Army Veteran Retired at E8.
My Family settled in this continent in 1746
from Berwickshire area of Scotland over the Clearances of the English Duke of Cumberland so I am not an aboriginal to the USA.

My Dad's Division/company during the 68-69 era was 101st/501st and he was for the most part always on a fob in Vietnam and Laos(yes I heard we were never there but we talked about just last month).

Number one he fought for my freedom of speech and all other freedoms that we here are granted in the USA.
Number 2 he fought the cold war to rid the world of the advancement of
communism of which we the United States accepted the Laos people as
refugees from oppression of those commies.

So how can we judge ALL of the Laos people over a few Idiots that won't behave.

The Poster oneshot1kill is just a young dum azz that is not speaking for
his group as a whole I can Assure you and also most all Laos speak English Hell they have been here since the 70's.

Ok I will go duck behind a hill side and wait on counter fire..........

agelesssone
01-22-2015, 08:44 PM
Halli, it highly probable that I supported your dad in Vietnam!

I was a scout dog handler (permanent point team) and we (42nd IPSD,

http://42nd-ipsd.freeservers.com/new/handlers_dogs1_69_70pg5.htm )

walked point for 501st/101st Airborne Division.

We were stationed at Camp Eagle, Phu Bai, South Vietnam.

I served there from 4/08/69-4/08/70.

XxthejuicexX
01-22-2015, 08:47 PM
Halli, you are right. I don't think you should judge them all over a few. But when oneshot comes in here calling people out like he did, what he got is expected. I had a couple of them stop crappie fishing and tow my boat back about 3 miles a couple years ago after my starter went out and I was stranded with just my trolling motor in about 15 MPH winds blowing into me. They were awesome, never asked for anything in return... we did get their address and sent them gift cards to Bass pro because we all know how bad it sucks to have to stop catching fish and tow someone in.

Halli
01-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Halli, it highly probable that I supported your dad in Vietnam!

I was a scout dog handler (permanent point team) and we (42nd IPSD,

http://42nd-ipsd.freeservers.com/new/handlers_dogs1_69_70pg5.htm )

walked point for 501st/101st Airborne Division.

We were stationed at Camp Eagle, Phu Bai, South Vietnam.

I served there from 4/08/69-4/08/70.

Ok just got off the phone with the MSG he said yes Phu Bai and often had to go to forward H&I area of 105's as CSM often smelled cannabis haha and wanted dad (SFC) at time to clear it out. Haha

agelesssone
01-22-2015, 09:43 PM
Ok just got off the phone with the MSG he said yes Phu Bai and often had to go to forward H&I area of 105's as CSM often smelled cannabis haha and wanted dad (SFC) at time to clear it out. Haha

LOL, coulda been some of our guys!

Me, I never touched the stuff. Didn't want to be on point and have a fuzzy brain. I finally tried it in 1975, didn't like it. Never tried it again.

did your dad ever serve as a line doggie? Or was he rear echelon?

What FOB's did he inhabit. The only one I can remember is FB Roy. There were others, but I don't remember which ones I visited. Not many, as I was usually dropped off in a blasted out LZ in the jungle somewhere.

jad2t
01-23-2015, 09:36 AM
Halli, nobody is judging them all. We don't need one of those disclaimers here that people like to use to prove how not racist they are. Example:

"I mean, I'm not racist or anything, I have like 4 black friends but I don't feel safe in some parts of downtown Nashville."

Yea, we get it. We know exactly what type of people make you feel unsafe in downtown Nashville and it certainly isn't the guys in cowboy hats walking out of the Country music bars. That doesn't mean you judge an entire race of people, that means you feel uncomfortable around a certain group of people if they happen to have a sideways hat, gold teeth, covered in tattos, and sag their pants because most of the time when there is a robbery in downtown Nashville, that group of people is involved.

I have met many very nice Laotian people that seem to follow the rules but unfortunately they have brought that stereotype upon themselves by continuously disregarding fishing laws.

XxthejuicexX
01-23-2015, 10:06 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/baefd97483bade2191d415f4d2727f83.jpg

All this made me think of this chappelle episode. I'm not saying all this is racist, just thought this was funny.

txnative
01-23-2015, 10:14 AM
I am a minority (don't let my last name fool you). While I don't like being the target of racism (it's happened more than a few times), I also understand the reason for the stereotypes. Nothing pisses me off more than someone screaming "Discrimination!!" while perpetuating the stereotype. I believe in the old adage "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like duck...it's a duck."

I'm not by any means condoning racism or other forms of discrimination, but denying the reason for stereotypes and the obvious examples of individuals perpetuating them is putting on blinders to reality. If people want to defend themselves as individuals, good. Defending an entire group when members of said group are guilty of accusations is a bit foolish. Might want to remember the glass walls before throwing stones.

Chris Bryant

jad2t
01-23-2015, 10:18 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/baefd97483bade2191d415f4d2727f83.jpg

HAHA that was probably the funniest skit Dave Chappelle ever made!!

XxthejuicexX
01-23-2015, 10:22 AM
HAHA that was probably the funniest skit Dave Chappelle ever made!!

It's a good one. I'm going to have to break the DVD's out tonight after the kid goes to bed and watch a few of my favorite skits. Game, Blouses!

Doc Marshall
01-23-2015, 11:21 AM
I just had an idea.

Is there any reason why the TWRA can't post signs in multiple languages that warn about prosecution for violating fishing regulations? Perhaps they could do an outreach on an annual basis where, whenever they check licenses they also hand out brochures with current regulations. Or maybe a multilingual brochure could be handed out with every purchase of a fishing license.

These could be in English, Spanish, Lao, French (which many Laotians speak), Vietnamese, Chinese etc.

Part of the problem is that those who don't speak speak English (or claim not to) can play dumb and simply ignore TN regulations.

If the TWRA didn't have the budget (or will) to do this, maybe a private group could create signs etc.

I wonder if NPR would call this "racist".

XxthejuicexX
01-23-2015, 11:41 AM
ignorance is not an excuse when it comes to the law. I know when I go fishing somewhere new or out of state I check on all laws and licenses so I can be prepared. But if funding was available it does seem like a good idea. ( another license fee increase is on the way, get ready for more bitching )

jad2t
01-23-2015, 11:45 AM
I just wish every thread from here on out carries on in such a a manner as this thread has done.

Adough
01-23-2015, 12:25 PM
I just had an idea.

Is there any reason why the TWRA can't post signs in multiple languages that warn about prosecution for violating fishing regulations? Perhaps they could do an outreach on an annual basis where, whenever they check licenses they also hand out brochures with current regulations. Or maybe a multilingual brochure could be handed out with every purchase of a fishing license.

These could be in English, Spanish, Lao, French (which many Laotians speak), Vietnamese, Chinese etc.

Part of the problem is that those who don't speak speak English (or claim not to) can play dumb and simply ignore TN regulations.

If the TWRA didn't have the budget (or will) to do this, maybe a private group could create signs etc.

I wonder if NPR would call this "racist".

Because whenever anyone presents the idea of multi-language signage people go nuts claiming this is an English only country and people need to learn the damn language. It's a southern catch-22

Headhunter
01-23-2015, 02:40 PM
I am going to guess there are some laotians who follow the law. I personally do not know of any. I do apologize to those that do. Do other people break fish and game laws, for sure they do. The laotian-asian population is so obvious about it though and do not care. I have given up trying to educate them, they will not listen and I have tried and tried. I call the TWRA now and let them worry with it.

TroutFiend
01-23-2015, 03:41 PM
It's a good one. I'm going to have to break the DVD's out tonight after the kid goes to bed and watch a few of my favorite skits. Game, Blouses!

Blouses, Bahhaaaa! I'm Rick James $&#@*!

Man I miss that show. It popped up on Amazon Instant Video though...

XxthejuicexX
01-23-2015, 03:53 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/23/ff42b7cde1f339ef72274d8b9320a655.jpg

One$hot1kill
01-23-2015, 08:08 PM
To the gentleman who "heard" Laotians had a disregard for hunting and hunters
http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/wildlife-officers-inventory-poachers-take
http://www.petersenshunting.com/poaching/biggest-poaching-cases-ever/
Please...you shouldn't even be allowed to post comments with your hear says.

Back to my original comment, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I thought this was a forum to talk about fishing. Yet I quickly realized it was an arena where guys who wore white sheets could come to stroke each others egos, vent and bash on Laotians. I saw a comment that I didn't agree with so I gave my opinion. I got threaten to be removed from this forum yet some could make racial comments and nothing said. It's ok, I get. It was humorous all the assumptions that were made about me. No I'm not Laotian but have many friends who are that fish. I'm originally from the Philippines but am American now.Yes I use the metric system cause I'm an engineer that travel the world for my job. I have fished these waters for over 30 years at Cheatham, JPP, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Gallatin Steam Plant, the Caney etc. Enough about me, Laotians have been wrongfully profiled for years, which is a Federal crime, by nerds who couldn't hack it as the real police officers so they became the possum police. It's wrong that a whole race is judge because of 4 idiots. Yes they kept fish over the limit but yall act like this was the worst case ever prosecuted. Let me leave you with this story and I hope yall read it....
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/11/50-biggest-poaching-fines-ever

None were Laotians....ALL male whites....See you tomorrow. I'll be fishing.

Halli
01-23-2015, 09:58 PM
BACK ON TOPIC:

Hey guys,

Just got a boat that I'll be keeping near Cheatham and was wondering when do you see the white bass stacking up near the dam?

Any direction on this is helpful.

Thanks

I say as soon as the red buds start showing color in the buds as this is a sign of warmer season and longer length of daylight. End of Feb maybe not sure.

Alphahawk
01-23-2015, 10:16 PM
I have fished...and caught whites below Cheatham...but never when they were on their spawning run. I have caught the spawning run many times below Pickwick. It can happen quick and be over before you know it. Best to be checking it regularly once water gets over the 50 degree mark. I have fooled around thinking the run was a ways off and missed it. But one thing is sure....when the red buds are out I will be fishing somewhere.

Regards

Pookie
01-24-2015, 05:17 AM
I am a minority (don't let my last name fool you). While I don't like being the target of racism (it's happened more than a few times), I also understand the reason for the stereotypes. Nothing pisses me off more than someone screaming "Discrimination!!" while perpetuating the stereotype. I believe in the old adage "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, looks like duck...it's a duck."

I'm not by any means condoning racism or other forms of discrimination, but denying the reason for stereotypes and the obvious examples of individuals perpetuating them is putting on blinders to reality. If people want to defend themselves as individuals, good. Defending an entire group when members of said group are guilty of accusations is a bit foolish. Might want to remember the glass walls before throwing stones.

Chris Bryant

http://www.clipartbest.com/cliparts/Kin/aLy/KinaLyziq.jpeg

Pookie
01-24-2015, 05:29 AM
http://columbiadailyherald.com/news/local-news/wildlife-officers-inventory-poachers-take

Back to my original comment, I'm sorry if I offended anyone. I thought this was a forum to talk about fishing. Yet I quickly realized it was an arena where guys who wore white sheets could come to stroke each others egos, vent and bash on Laotians. I saw a comment that I didn't agree with so I gave my opinion. I got threaten to be removed from this forum yet some could make racial comments and nothing said. It's ok, I get. It was humorous all the assumptions that were made about me. No I'm not Laotian but have many friends who are that fish. I'm originally from the Philippines but am American now.Yes I use the metric system cause I'm an engineer that travel the world for my job. I have fished these waters for over 30 years at Cheatham, JPP, Dale Hollow, Center Hill, Gallatin Steam Plant, the Caney etc. Enough about me, Laotians have been wrongfully profiled for years, which is a Federal crime, by nerds who couldn't hack it as the real police officers so they became the possum police. It's wrong that a whole race is judge because of 4 idiots. Yes they kept fish over the limit but yall act like this was the worst case ever prosecuted. Let me leave you with this story and I hope yall read it....
http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/hunting/2010/11/50-biggest-poaching-fines-ever

You can't decide whether you want to talk about fishing or spout off with federal law. This place probably isn't a good fit for you. To ease your transition, check out this place: http://www.democraticunderground.com/ They may occasionally even talk about fishing, especially if fish and game laws keep hardworking Laotians from feeding their families.

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2015, 09:17 AM
...See you tomorrow. I'll be fishing.

If you made it through the snowpocalypse to the lake, let me know how the water looks.

One$hot1kill
01-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Looking good out here juice .....jpp crappie are hitting in 13ft... Tearing up the white and green sliders

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Looking good out here juice .....jpp crappie are hitting in 13ft... Tearing up the white and green sliders

I wast thinking about starting in 30' or so. If they are that shallow thats even better. Thanks.

One$hot1kill
01-24-2015, 02:05 PM
Yea that's where I started but only got a few bites...they started hitting hard in 16 to 13ft.. Still out here tearin um up. Most are 12 inches today with a few small ones that I threw back.

jaystaler88
01-24-2015, 02:40 PM

I haven't checked this feed in a few days and am very glad to know we were able to get such a great dialogue going here.

I was never sterotyping Laotians for catching fish, I was simply referencing the atrocious crime in 2012 that we all know about too well. For every ONE fisherman that get's busted, how many get away with fish over the limit or undersized? We've all seen it ourselves.

You are correct, it's impossible for someone to catch "all" the fish, but I don't want to see ONE fish over the limit or undersized in someone's cooler if we can help by keeping an eye out and yes, notifying authorities if need be. I think the 4 pages of posts with first-hand accounts of shady sportsmanship by a certain group of people are pointing to a trend here. Unfortunately, proof is in the pudding and this little cyber attack does nothing but reinforce my "stereotypes", if that's what you want to call it.

For the record, I'm a former fly fishing guide, casting instructor, and know a thing or two about "real fishing".

I think the METRIC SYSTEM is why you're people have been keeping fish over the limit and undersized because they don't know how to convert the numbers to standard. :D Pretty good excuse!

BACK TO FISHING- I did get out to Cumberland below Cheatham near Clarksville and wore out some SLAB white bass in the eddies. Pattern was chartruese anything with heavy weight to stay down in the current and especially if there was a mudline near clearer water. Guess they were popping out of the mud to ambush. Fun day and good eating (legal) fish.

XxthejuicexX
01-24-2015, 03:18 PM
Well, I will be relying on the new slab magnet and crappie magnets tomorrow. I'm going to pick up a couple dozen minnows but I only have one rod rigged for them. I'm gong to hook the muffs up to the motor and make sure she starts with no problem, it's been a month or more since it's been started.

Headhunter
01-26-2015, 10:42 AM

No one said laotians are the ONLY people breaking the law. People from any country, any background, any color, etc. can and do break game laws. All I am saying as I have as yet to meet the first asian or laotian that abided by game laws and I mean none. I turn in whoever I see breaking a game law when I see it. It is just on Priest and below the dams, the asian/laotian people keep any and everything. Every time I have tried to talk to them they look at me like I am crazy and say no english. The ones I get really mad at are the ones with a throwing a net "for bait" but they will keep any fish they catch in the net. Happened several times below the Priest dam last year.