PDA

View Full Version : Boat for Small Rivers

fatboyfish
01-11-2015, 04:01 PM
I am going to purchase a small boat or canoe to fish the small rivers in Middle Tennessee (Caney Fork or Duck). What would be the better boat, a 15 1/2' square back canoe or a 1436 jon boat? Going to transport on a trailer and use a small gas or trolling motor.

TroutFiend
01-11-2015, 04:39 PM
The Caney is where I fish most of the time. I have fished those rivers from Kayak, canoe, canoe with trolling motor and Jon boat. You can catch fish and have a good time from all three. I can borrow a canoe or Yak at anytime from a friend but my personal choice is my 15' Jon with 10hp tiller. With it, I can fish low water, drift fish on 3 generators, bring the kids or friends. It is inexpensive, can sit out in the weather and low maintenance. Don't get me wrong though if you want to hang out with friends and kick back a few and float, the plastic navy option is great too.

Andy

fatboyfish
01-11-2015, 05:33 PM
Thanks for the info. Getting up in years a little and wasn't sure about the canoe.

daniel
01-13-2015, 06:25 PM
I like the pelican pond prowlers for small rivers they make a 12 foot model that awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travis C.
01-14-2015, 09:25 AM
Jon boat. If you dont have a trailer yet get one with hinge in the middle. I have unloaded mine everywhere without ramp by putting it near the water and breaking the trailer down then off in the lake/river. Depending on where you fish its very handy. Caney on low water is one of those spots.

Recently i took it out the ramp was ice and i had nothing for it. The ground was soft all around the waters edge. Instead of going home i unhooked the trailer rolled it down to water and dumped it then rolled trailer back up to the truck.

fatboyfish
01-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Gives me some more things to consider