PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Cumberland Steam Plant!

Fatpat_33
01-08-2015, 01:08 PM
Hi every one,
I have been catfishing the heck out of the steam plant for the past months and I am having no luck, none at all! Bait wise I have been using cut skip Jack or liver, time wise I have been going there around dark to 1am. Just having no luck what do ever. And most recently I haven't been catching and skippies!! Any help would be greatly greatly appreciated!!

Thank you very much

Travis C.
01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Are you bank bound or boat?

The fresher the skipjack the better there and don't use huge chunks. About a couple inches square cube is all you need unless your using the head. A good spot by boat is out from the canal where the main river channel and the island tail is.

Fatpat_33
01-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately I am bank restricted right now which puts me either on the side or above on the cat walk which sticks, I've never caught s blue down here which is what I'm targeting

Travis C.
01-08-2015, 04:00 PM
We used to catch them fishing more out on the river channel side than closer to the plant. Bank bound you may just have to keep trying your luck with baits. Shad and skipjack would be tops along with chicken breast. If you go the chicken route go bigger hooks/bait chunks. Start at 8/0 circle and half breast chunks with a 2oz or better that will keep in place.

tacklemake
01-08-2015, 06:07 PM
There is an old trick when the catfish wont bite everything else take some live minnow and step on them and put three or four on the hook. It seems to work in the winter for big catfish......................woody

Mr.Duk
01-08-2015, 08:03 PM
Mr. Woody, your reply is why I read this page daily. I have fished more thanmy share but the knowledge that is shared here priceless to me. Thanks to and all that pass on the tricks of the trade.
Mike

Fatpat_33
01-09-2015, 01:40 AM
Thank you thank you woody, much appreicated. I'd love to not be stuck on the shore line but a boat isn't quite fitting the finances right now. A few buddies and I will be hitting the catfish early tomorrow morning, wish us luck!

Alphahawk
01-09-2015, 07:01 AM
That place used to be white bass heaven......any of those around?

Regards

Travis C.
01-09-2015, 08:38 AM
That place used to be white bass heaven......any of those around?

Regards

I am sure they are. It also held some slabs too.

Fatpat, another trick to do since your bank bound is "if" you can or have the ability too get several skippies/shad and some utility scissors. Cut them up in small pieces and pitch it out as you fish. You can do this with any fish but those are more oily than gills n such so it will create a better scent trail. This will bring the kitties to you.

Fatpat_33
01-09-2015, 06:31 PM
Travis thank you very much I never really right about chumming because of all the turbulence, went out this morning and slayed the skippies but no luck with any cats or stripers, also did catch one pretty large white bass. Drum weren't running so not sure that there were many stripers there. Still chasing those infamous big ol catfish that are there

Halli
01-09-2015, 06:58 PM
Don't forget that is the largest power plant in the TVA (2.6 gw) system and it puts out a lot of heat close to the bank so think more of out and down stream some when casting.

Travis C.
01-09-2015, 08:25 PM
Still chasing those infamous big ol catfish that are there

They are there but not there all the time. Those infamous big blues are more migratory than a big yellow (flathead) and channels seems to just be everywhere regardless.

We caught our good ones in Feb around there.

Fatpat_33
01-10-2015, 03:26 AM
I've been fishing on top of the cat walk about 3/4 of the way to the other side casting downstream about half way to the bridge and just nothing lol I even casted to the other side to maybe get some flat heads and still no dang luck. I'm thinking I just have no luck for the monsters that are there.