PDA

View Full Version : It's been a while FishingTN Steam plant Stripers and Large Mouth

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 11:07 AM
Yesterday first time out in a couple months, I invited myself out with Merv Johnson and had a great time at the steam plant.
We were tied off awaiting sunrise for about an hour and a half, to ensure we would get a good tie off spot. Little did we know there was us and just one other boat sun up to sun down.
The morning started off great Merv weighed a fish 29 lbs. Being his biggest striper yet that was awesome! We caught a few more and decided to head off to flippers to for lunch and to unfreeze.
We headed back for the afternoon bite and after a little chit chat and a few large mouth the bite was expected to turn back on at 4. That said at 3:56 I hooked up again and the bite turned back on.
Another awesome thing about yesterday was out of Merv's two stripers was his first ever caught on a top water bait which is always exiting to watch!
Together we landed 10 Striper, 3 Large mouth of those we kept 2 fish for a hot meal after a cold day. All and all I had a fantastic time!

XxthejuicexX
01-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Man, that sounds like a great day! Merv, you need to change your profile pic to that one salty took :) Congrats on the great day.

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 12:45 PM
Thank you, yes it was fun! And I agree that picture of Merv and his biggest Striper is good, but I think the photographer made it look good lol however "he did pose all by him self, well with his Striper".

jad2t
01-08-2015, 12:53 PM
I still can't believe you guys fished yesterday in that weather. Glad to see the Rockfish action is still good there. If we get some slightly warmer weather I'll be back there in my yak.

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Ya it was cold! To be perfectly honest with you in your yak you may be warmer because your close to the warm water and rising steam? I believe there generating. Anyhoo thanks man, if you see me out there be sure to come up and say hello.

TNBronzeback
01-08-2015, 01:44 PM
Great day on the water guys. I had one evening like that last year there. Rainy, cold....mine was the only boat there and it was a glorious evening to be there all alone...despite the weather!
that topwater bite is an awesome thing once you finally get on it!
great fish guys!

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Thank you, yes your right it is glorious dispite the weather but if that's what it takes to receive all the lesure space I'll take it! Also the top water bite is amazing to see, even when you don't hook up... but yes when you do it is a huge added bonus!
Thanks again!

tacklemake
01-08-2015, 06:20 PM
I'm glad to see you back on this site and getting back out on the water. You and Merv make a good team ,keep up the great reports...................woody

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 06:54 PM
Thank you my friend, always a pleasure to see your reports and replies!
Thank you Woody, your the man!

Dakota
01-08-2015, 06:58 PM
Nice job fellas!! Love that striper topwater bite!

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 07:10 PM
Thanks man, ya it is amazing seeing those Striper in top water action!

tsuggs
01-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Nice job guys! Great report !

SaltySportsmanTV
01-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Thank you, its not hard to make a good report when you have a good day, well minus the artic chill.

agelesssone
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Agreed on all counts.

The fishing was fun. Salty schooled me on how to catch stripers though. It's a good thing that I was "The Guide"! I can say I put him on the fish and told him what bait to use to catch all those (8) stripers he caught.....and three LM too.
I was just an interested bystander yesterday watching him catch all the fish.

white95v6
01-09-2015, 03:57 PM
nice. fish guys.

looks like Merv took the roll of Capt Brain haha.

SaltySportsmanTV
01-09-2015, 05:39 PM
Haahaa ya he was... thanks for the complement it was much fun!

SaltySportsmanTV
01-09-2015, 05:54 PM
It is true Merv you worked exactly as a guide should, put me right in front of the fish... The only thing that seems a bit confusing in this statement-"It's a good thing that I was "The Guide"! I can say I put him on the fish and told him what bait to use to catch..." is that on the way driving to the steam plant that lovely morning I was telling you what I use in terms of artificial baits to catch Striper, which was in fact the bait I used to catch all 11 fish, now hmmm???...:D But you were in fact the Captain and it was your vessel we were in, and you drove us to the steam plant, furthermore I did not even have to tell you how to get there... So ya I guess you deserve some credit:). Thanks for a great day out there Merv, looking forward to the next time!

tacklemake
01-09-2015, 07:11 PM
It is true Merv you worked exactly as a guide should, put me right in front of the fish... The only thing that seems a bit confusing in this statement-"It's a good thing that I was "The Guide"! I can say I put him on the fish and told him what bait to use to catch..." is that on the way driving to the steam plant that lovely morning I was telling you what I use in terms of artificial baits to catch Striper, which was in fact the bait I used to catch all 11 fish, now hmmm???...:D But you were in fact the Captain and it was your vessel we were in, and you drove us to the steam plant, furthermore I did not even have to tell you how to get there... So ya I guess you deserve some credit:). Thanks for a great day out there Merv, looking forward to the next time!

Salty it looks like you open mouth and inserted foot ,good luck on your next trip with Merv LOL...............WOODY

agelesssone
01-09-2015, 07:16 PM
You are a very wise man, Woody.

Alphahawk
01-09-2015, 07:29 PM
Congrats on your catch. Nice fish!

Regards

SaltySportsmanTV
01-09-2015, 08:56 PM
Goodness let's not try to spiral things into a negative manor. On pins and needles on a constant basis on here or what?? But why Lol?? .. There are smile faces next to my text..:-) hints joking or in good manor...
golly G
SO VERY SORRY WOODY
SO VERY SORRY MERV

SaltySportsmanTV
01-09-2015, 08:58 PM
Thank you sir, I appreciate your complement!

Fishaholic
01-14-2015, 12:12 AM
Nice post, glad Salty was able to show you how to get your fishfinder out of demo mode so you can catch some fish BWAHAHA:D

tkwalker
01-14-2015, 02:53 AM
:)Salty it looks like you open mouth and inserted foot ,good luck on your next trip with Merv LOL...............WOODY

X2 .... My money is on Merv !!! :)

SaltySportsmanTV
01-14-2015, 02:59 PM
Id rather you not loose your money TK, but if your willing to name a day time and lake lol... Its all for the fun of it:D

Fishaholic
01-14-2015, 09:47 PM
I want in on this action:p

Travis C.
01-14-2015, 09:50 PM
Id rather you not loose your money TK, but if your willing to name a day time and lake lol... Its all for the fun of it:D

Dale Hollow for striped bass winner take all. :D

XxthejuicexX
01-14-2015, 09:58 PM
Dale Hollow for striped bass winner take all. :D

Stones river, Gar!

SaltySportsmanTV
01-14-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm in!

SaltySportsmanTV
01-14-2015, 10:23 PM
I'm down for that , I need some extra coin right now.
But there is one problem I dont bet..... Well would it be considered a bet if I know who the winner will be?
Lol:)

SaltySportsmanTV
01-14-2015, 10:31 PM
Ok I know who will compete with you for gar and give you a run for your money, Merv...
I nicknamed him Gar I have never seen a species of fish so attracted to one mans line other than gar to Merv's. Lol

SaltySportsmanTV
01-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Check out this video link below of Merv and I catching Striper at the Steam Plant, I hope you like it! Please be sure to comment on here or the video itself with your feedback thanks!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0447Nrdk-E