PDA

View Full Version : New to MidTN -- Recos for Fly Fishing and Wading

WallyWabash03
01-04-2015, 05:11 PM
All --

New to the forum and relatively new to both wading and fly fishing. I'm hoping to get some recommendations for good bank or wade fly fishing within a reasonable proximity of Franklin, TN. I don't have access to a boat (yet!) and really enjoy the wading, so I'm hoping for your thoughts on the following:

1. Good access points to wade in the area; not asking for secrets or favorites, but where do you go to bank fly fish or wade on the Caney, Duck, Elk, Percy Priest tailwaters, Harpeth (?) etc., and what species are you seeing there?

2. I've seen lots of links to generation schedules and know that what is safe wading varies by water. What's the highest CFS you comfortably wade on particular water?

Any other recommendations for the Middle TN area--including fishing partners--are more than welcome. If you are inclined to PM me with some REAL gems, I'll happily tie and send a few midges or woolly buggers your way. Really looking forward to learning from you all!

Alphahawk
01-04-2015, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. You might not be wading for a month or two. You have named all the spots and all of them have different access spots for wading. On the Caney is Happy Hollow....Betty's Island....at the dam itself. On the Duck many spots from the dam at Normandy to over 6 miles down stream. On the Elk I have just always started below the dam. In all of those waters you are subject to catch anything. But good trout fishing for sure. The trout fishing is year round on the Caney and Elk. On the Duck it runs from November up through maybe July. Below Percy the trout is probably over with by May-June. Don't know much about the Harpeth but it is a winter fishery also for trout...but holds small mouth and other specie. If you do a forum search on each of the rivers...areas....you have mentioned there is a ton of info out there.

Regards

RUGER
01-08-2015, 01:39 PM
Good luck.