PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question!

volandsmalliefan
12-26-2014, 10:59 PM
In all my years I have never done any trout fishing. I love my smallmouth creeks. What can i say? So my question is do i need a specialty licence to catch trout? I am thinking of expanding my horizons and picking up a fly rod. Any help in this area would be appreciated!

MNfisher
12-26-2014, 11:34 PM
No question is a dumb one! And yes, you need an annual trout permit which is $18. Unless you have the sportsman license. Then you are good to go.

Mike

metaniumxg
12-26-2014, 11:56 PM
So I need an additional trout permit to my normal yearly fishing license? I fish the caney often and have caught trout. I've never been carded for my license though.

Alphahawk
12-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Do a forum search and you will find in detail the answers to your question. This issue has been discussed many times on here and is well represented in the forum.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volandsmalliefan
12-27-2014, 12:26 AM
Do a forum search and you will find in detail the answers to your question. This issue has been discussed many times on here and is well represented in the forum.

Regards

you're right. i should have thought of that before i started a thread.

Fishbus
12-27-2014, 12:29 AM
I've been checked by TWRA on the Duck and Caney Fork. Please do pay for the trout stamp. It's only fair to those of us who do, and the Federal money that supports the hatcheries is dwindling.

Paying for your stamp helps pay for this resource and also shows the politicians how many fisherman put their money into the economy to enjoy it.

Billy

volandsmalliefan
12-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I've been checked by TWRA on the Duck and Caney Fork. Please do pay for the trout stamp. It's only fair to those of us who do, and the Federal money that supports the hatcheries is dwindling.

Paying for your stamp helps pay for this resource and also shows the politicians how many fisherman put their money into the economy to enjoy it.

Billy

Yeah i will definitely pay for a stamp. Figuring out that fly rod is a whole different story. I'll be going tomorrow to buy a trout stamp and then to a local creek to practice with the fly rod. Any tips on fly fishing for smallmouth?

tennesseekeith
12-27-2014, 10:13 AM
if you fishing for trout you need your stamp. Like at the pond if you fishing crappies only you don't need it. Twra agents know if you fishing for trout with the bait or tackle you have with you. And if you catch one trout fishing you must release it. If you don't have a stamp.
I go to church with a Twra agent and asked the question the other day. When I seen all the stuff about license prices going up.

Reel Tune
12-27-2014, 12:24 PM
This is a great question that comes up often. I've been checked on the Caney, actually that I think of it the Caney is the only place I've been checked in Tennessee.

As for practicing with a fly rod you can tie a piece of yarn to the leader and practice in your yard or an open area, or you can cut the hook off a fly and practice that way also. As for catching smallmouth I like a foam wiggle minnow if they are surfacing, or a crawfish pattern if they are not.

metaniumxg
12-27-2014, 03:51 PM
if you fishing for trout you need your stamp. Like at the pond if you fishing crappies only you don't need it. Twra agents know if you fishing for trout with the bait or tackle you have with you. And if you catch one trout fishing you must release it. If you don't have a stamp.
I go to church with a Twra agent and asked the question the other day. When I seen all the stuff about license prices going up.
When Im at the Caney I fish for whatever is biting. I always fish from the bank on the stairs side. I do however always release my catches. Im using baitcasting gear. I wonder if they can fine me?

white95v6
12-27-2014, 06:34 PM
this is a question even the TRWA can't answer I have asked. its gonna be up to the agent checking you. and if he feels like it you better believe you will get a fine if you don't have one.

tennesseekeith
12-27-2014, 07:25 PM
if you fishing with corn and bait that target tout you better have a stamp. If you fishing larger tackle or crappie magnet they most likely you let you go.
Yes it up to the agent that stop you. The agent I know said most people are good but you try to lie to them and say I'm fishing for crappie with corn. Busted!

MNfisher
12-27-2014, 09:27 PM
if you fishing with corn and bait that target tout you better have a stamp. If you fishing larger tackle or crappie magnet they most likely you let you go.

Yes it up to the agent that stop you. The agent I know said most people are good but you try to lie to them and say I'm fishing for crappie with corn. Busted!

That's a tough call. I've done very very well on trout with crappie mags.

Mike

bfish
12-27-2014, 09:30 PM
If there is any doubt in the agent's mind, you get a ticket and chance to explain why/why not to the judge.

jaycee
12-27-2014, 09:44 PM
The cost of license, permits etc. is the least expensive cost of fishing compared to transportation and tackle.
Also cheaper than cost of other forms of entertainment. Why try to skimp on a trout stamp? I guess I just don't get it.

Pookie
12-27-2014, 10:05 PM
Game & fish licensing are about the fairest form of taxation in the nation. If you are actively seeking trout, buy the stamp. If you are deer hunting, buy the permit, and so on. I wish property taxes were structured the same way. If you are using the school system, pay the taxes. If you have no kids, you ought to get a cheaper rate...but they didn't ask me.

MNfisher
12-28-2014, 10:23 AM
Game & fish licensing are about the fairest form of taxation in the nation. If you are actively seeking trout, buy the stamp. If you are deer hunting, buy the permit, and so on. I wish property taxes were structured the same way. If you are using the school system, pay the taxes. If you have no kids, you ought to get a cheaper rate...but they didn't ask me.

Well said. I don't know why people try to skimp out of an $18 stamp.

Mike

volandsmalliefan
12-28-2014, 05:46 PM
I decided the wind was blowing to much for my first time trying a fly rod yesterday. Decided to take the kayak out instead. Had a pretty good day!

XxthejuicexX
12-28-2014, 05:54 PM
Very nice fish! How are the water conditions. I just got home from Illinois and the rivers around the house are up and nasty.

volandsmalliefan
12-28-2014, 07:16 PM
I was on the east fork of the stones yesterday. Water was just about perfect for this time of year. My son and I went to the river today to have a look and it was chocolate and rolling. That river seems like it can change in the blink of an eye.

jad2t
12-29-2014, 09:42 AM
This issue has been brought up several times so I'd agree with everyone else and say it is definitely not a dumb question.

I agree with everyone else's advice, go ahead and buy the stamp. Your trout stamp goes to fund the hatching, raising, and eventual stocking of the trout you will be enjoying for sport, dinner, or both!

Adough
01-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Keep in mind, your stamp will only be good through February. And then it's time to get another one!