PDA

View Full Version : Trolling Motor - Paging BlueWaterSportsman - Come in Salty

SalmonDaze
12-05-2014, 01:04 PM
I've decided that I'm going to add to the fleet even though my big boat hasn't sold yet.

I'm taking my brother's boat off his hands.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/attachments/boats-sale-wanted/290822d1356710624-16-boston-whaler-dauntless-street.jpg

Whalers are not typically rigged with bow-mounted trolling motors. I'm looking for any insights into the best way to rig and what motors (prefer Minn Kota) are most suitable.

This is a 2002 16' Dauntless. I'm willing to remove or modify the bow rail.

I think Salty has done this on his Whaler, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Fishaholic
12-06-2014, 12:13 AM
Yes he did and depending on the motor you get there are different ways to mount it for maximum efficiency.

Pookie
12-06-2014, 12:57 PM
You might want to make that picture a little larger so he can see exactly what you have.

SaltySportsmanTV
12-07-2014, 12:30 PM
There are many options for your Dauntless & the 16' was my previous vessel.
The most efficient way I found involves removing the front bow rail, that said its not the only way.
But if you do choose this option, use the port side bow mount area of the bow rail you can and should re-use to support the minnkota you choose.
There are other handrail options for the dauntless that will work, of course involving more money.
Speaking of what minnkota to use, I would choose the "80lb MinnKota riptide" this for multiple reasons. One, 80lbs of thrust will be suitable for lakes, rivers, and ocean currents with your 16'dauntless. Two, its white and will look fantastic with the vessel. Three for the resale in the future the riptide its suitable for both fresh and salt water will help the resale as an added bonus for either market.
Again this is just my opinion based upon my experience with whalers.
I hope this helps, let me know if there is any other questions. Also if you need a hand and your in or near the Hendersonville area I would be happy to help.
All the best!

SaltySportsmanTV
12-07-2014, 12:46 PM
To add a couple example of a modified bow rails.