PDA

View Full Version : Quick afternoon on the Duck yesterday

timothy.collins92
11-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Managed to get out for an hour and a half or so yesterday afternoon right next to Normandy Dam, first chance I have had to try fishing that close, I typically go to Three Forks Bridge.

Throwing chartreuse TM with 18" flouro leader, only caught one small rainbow, maybe 13" - 14". Think it might have been too close to the dam.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow morning, will try a little further down, but not as far as Three Forks since that tends to be a bit shallow. Might break out the waders as well, see how they work out in the cool weather.

Until next time!

Fishbus
11-25-2014, 04:50 PM
We floated from Dement to Three Forks Saturday and caught a big zero.

I think there is too much water moving right now.

Billy

Alphahawk
11-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Managed to get out for an hour and a half or so yesterday afternoon right next to Normandy Dam, first chance I have had to try fishing that close, I typically go to Three Forks Bridge.

Throwing chartreuse TM with 18" flouro leader, only caught one small rainbow, maybe 13" - 14". Think it might have been too close to the dam.

I am hoping to get out tomorrow morning, will try a little further down, but not as far as Three Forks since that tends to be a bit shallow. Might break out the waders as well, see how they work out in the cool weather.

Until next time!

You can't get too close to the dam for trout there. With that kind of flow I am surprised you caught anything at all with a Trout Magnet. Did you have any split shot on the leader? It is tough to get a TM down deep enough with that kind of flow below Normandy to get some trout. Glad you got the one.....I'm sure it was a good fight.

Regards

timothy.collins92
11-25-2014, 05:07 PM
There is a lot of water moving there for sure, I wasn't sure how much that would affect it. Would moving downriver help with that then, or does it need to be later into December?

And no split shot on it, I wasn't sure of the depth and didn't want to snag, but that might have helped

Alphahawk
11-25-2014, 05:19 PM
There is a lot of water moving there for sure, I wasn't sure how much that would affect it. Would moving downriver help with that then, or does it need to be later into December?

And no split shot on it, I wasn't sure of the depth and didn't want to snag, but that might have helped

Trout will be close to the bottom...and sometimes close to the top......but not in between. The TM is just too light to fish in that much current. If you can find some spots where the water is not too deep and you can get the TM close to the bottom...but not on the bottom...you could probably catch some fish. I would put a size B split shot about 18 inches above the TM. Believe me there were hundreds of trout right where you were fishing. The water is just really too fast now in such a narrow area.

Regards