PDA

View Full Version : First fall Striper On old hickory

Dakota
11-21-2014, 09:39 PM
So it was good to see Merv today the steam plant. I stayed there till about 445 today. There Most of the afternoon. The skipjack bite started to pick up that's what I was using for my striper bait. Then about 430 nothing like the sound of the striper stripping your reel. Through the excitement I thought the video was rolling when I had some good pictures of the striper. Just thankful I did get this clip. 37 inches and 23 pounds. Nice way to end. https://vimeo.com/112549679

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agelesssone
11-21-2014, 10:01 PM
Congrats on your rockie!

I almost came back up, but had issues with the boat and had to get them straightened out.

Alphahawk
11-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Congrats on your catch.

Regards

tbona
11-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Great catch Dakota! I was up there from about 9-2. It was my first trip to gsp. I met Merv for the first time too. Great guy! He showed me the ropes, put me on some fish, and gave me some to take home too. Thanks again Merv!

I ended up catching a few keeper crappie, tilapia, nice shellcrackers. The white bass were small but for a while it was one every cast which made for lots of fun on 2 lb test. Next time I hope to get out there at the right time for the striped bite and give them a shot.

Dakota
11-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Great catch Dakota! I was up there from about 9-2. It was my first trip to gsp. I met Merv for the first time too. Great guy! He showed me the ropes, put me on some fish, and gave me some to take home too. Thanks again Merv!

I ended up catching a few keeper crappie, tilapia, nice shellcrackers. The white bass were small but for a while it was one every cast which made for lots of fun on 2 lb test. Next time I hope to get out there at the right time for the striped bite and give them a shot.

It can get addicting going out there. Glad you got to experience it good luck in the future.

Dakota
11-22-2014, 04:40 PM
Congrats on your rockie!

I almost came back up, but had issues with the boat and had to get them straightened out.

Merv what happened to the boat?

agelesssone
11-22-2014, 07:07 PM
Merv what happened to the boat?

When I put in in the morning I saw you out there, the starting battery was near dead and wouldn't start the motor. Jumped it with the trolling batteries and got going.

The starting battery was situated way up under the deck, so I removed my three trolling batteries to get at the starting battery, remounted some battery boxes and the starting battery so I could get at it easier to put a trickle charger on it while it's parked. Sad thing is, the four batteries I have in there are all Interstates, about six months old. I have had one deep cycle completely take a crap on me and now the starting battery doesn't seem to want to hold a charge. And this is with NOTHING hooked to that battery except the motor. I've checked the connection in the dark to see if there is a tiny spark when the cables are removed and replaced on the battery,which would indicate a small drainage from something, but there is nothing.

I now will put a charger on my starting battery every time I come in from fishing. Nothing worse than hearing your motor growl at you instead of starting. Maybe I should install a four bank charger instead of my current three banker I now use on my trolling batteries.

Got that problem taken care of but got careless when hooking the bait tank back to the batteries and accidentally connected the bait tank across the three trolling motor batteries (giving me thirty six volts instead of the twelve volts required). I normally hook it to ONE trolling motor battery but didn't watch what I was doing, working on it late in the day, in near darkness and tired. When I turned the bait tank recirculating pumps on, I fried one of them.

So I went out this morning and looked the situation over, found my mistake, corrected it, put in an old pump I had sitting on the shelf, wired it in and "Alles Gute"! (That's German for "It's all good")

"Bout ready to hit the GSP on Monday.

Dakota
11-22-2014, 09:22 PM
Wow that was a mouthful of battery stuff. Glad you got it figured out. Ive never owned Interstate before, ive heard they are good batteries. Ive always have had Deka. See you out there at some point I'm sure.