PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printers

aero320
11-21-2014, 04:41 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a 3D printer to make gadgets for the boat (I am pretty proficient at 3D modeling). Anyone one the forum have experience in 3D printing?

XxthejuicexX
11-21-2014, 05:05 PM
I am thinking of purchasing a 3D printer to make gadgets for the boat (I am pretty proficient at 3D modeling). Anyone one the forum have experience in 3D printing?

I don't. My father in law has been into rapid reproduction with the FBI forever. He just retired and went to work for a private company. Some of the stuff I have seen printed is really impressive.

Halli
11-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Make me some lures at half price! :D

erockhaus
11-23-2014, 11:18 AM
I have some experience with the Makerbot line of printers. If you can use sketch up or other 3d modeling software you should be able to use it. Let me know if you have specific questions.

aero320
11-23-2014, 02:09 PM
Erockhouse, I am looking at the Makerbot Replicator 2X and the Seemecnc Orion Delta printer (about half the price of the Makerbot). I use Solidworks, Rhino, and sometimes Sketchup for modeling (Rhino is my favorite). Being able to use ABS is a requirement because of outdoor use of the products.

jallen67
11-25-2014, 11:07 PM
My wife taught CAD for 3 years and they got her a 3D printer the last year she was teaching. She had the makerbot (single extruder) and liked it. I know she did a lot of research and thought it was probably the best for the money. I know that she had some issues with it at times but the issues were always fixable and her favorite part about it was the support that makerbot gave to all their customers. They always gave her detailed instructions on how to fix things and walked her through the process. My wife usually does her research really well and if she bought a makerbot then I'm positive it was one of the best. I know she also mentioned that there seemed to be more kinks with the double extruder but this was almost two years ago. I'm sure they've gotten even better since then though.