PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of year again...

jad2t
11-10-2014, 08:41 AM
Where you can get up early in the cold and go to GSP to watch Chris (txnative) catch all the stripers!

All jokes aside, xxjuicexx and I headed out early Saturday morning in his boat with hopes to try for a striper early and then switch to small gear for tilapia. The stripers didn't cooperate, for us anyway, so we switched to trout magnets and couldn't keep fish off. We weren't able to find the tilapia as thick as we hoped but we each took home enough for a good meal along with a few shellcracker and crappie. That was my first time eating shellcracker. Those things sure do fillet up nicely and taste great! With all the small bass, gills, crappie, tilapia, white bass, etc. I'd say we easily caught 150+ fish between the two of us in a few hours.

I may give it another go this coming Saturday in my kayak but get out there about 10-11 and fish until dark.

P.S. - Chris, I caught about a dozen stripers on trout magnets that were about 7 inches long so technically I outfished you for them!

SAMBOLIE
11-10-2014, 09:08 PM
Where you can get up early in the cold and go to GSP to watch Chris (txnative) catch all the stripers!

P.S. - Chris, I caught about a dozen stripers on trout magnets that were about 7 inches long so technically I outfished you for them!

Those dozen would be a snack for the ones that Chris catches.:)

I'll bet you are ready to change out the drag after catching all those line stretchers.:)

BTW, glad you enjoyed those shell crackers. Did you fry them?

Alphahawk
11-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Shell cracker are some great tasting fish......plenty of fight in them too. Sounds like you all had an epic day.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

XxthejuicexX
11-10-2014, 10:32 PM
Shell cracker are some great tasting fish......plenty of fight in them too. Sounds like you all had an epic day.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The shell cracker fillets were as white as the crappie fillets, I was impressed. We had fish taco's last night. The Wife surprised me and made homemade Turkey pot pies with left overs for saturday night so the fish had to wait. One of the crappie had eggs in it. Oh Jimmy's stripers were monsters, kinda like my sauger :)

jad2t
11-11-2014, 09:01 AM
BTW, glad you enjoyed those shell crackers. Did you fry them?

Sure did! I have a secret recipe my wife and I have been perfecting of coconut flour, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Coat the fillets in that and then fry them in some coconut oil and you have some delicious fish fillets!

We cooked all the fish this way and we loved it.

Travis C.
11-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Sure did! I have a secret recipe my wife and I have been perfecting of coconut flour, smoked paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Coat the fillets in that and then fry them in some coconut oil and you have some delicious fish fillets!

That sounds pretty good. I love some coconut fried shrimp in mango dipping sauce.

SAMBOLIE
11-11-2014, 09:19 AM

Sounds delicious, Jimmy. Bring me some filets and I will try it.