PDA

View Full Version : Priest or Old Hickory Today?

Doc Marshall
11-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Hey Y'all,

I have a newborn (little guy came four weeks early!), so I've missed out on a lot of fall fishing. I have a brief window when I can got out today and hunt bass. I wonder which lake is the better bet for bass? Sometimes OH can be good for white bass but I'm not certain if this is a good time of year for them.

I did go out to Percy Priest on Tuesday - what a weird bite! I tried 2 - 5` cranks, lipless cranks, and even some deep divers. No takers. I also tried a Texas rigged plastic worm with no luck.

Shad were busting all over the surface and the bass would attack every 5 minutes or so. I managed about 3 smallish largemouths on a roostertail (see below), but otherwise it was tough going.

Any suggestions? I feel like my usual spots haven't been as productive this year...

http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/beaudoing/PetitAchigan-11-4-14_zps9296f859.jpg

tacklemake
11-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Try a #5 shad rap and if there in 5' or less of water crank it so it digs up the bottom. Also a white rooster tail will work good.

Alphahawk
11-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Congrats on the baby!

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tkwalker
11-09-2014, 02:55 AM
congrats on the baby!

Regards

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

x 2 .... <'tk>< :)

Doc Marshall
11-09-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks, y'all.

Fishing Report: Well, yesterday I rolled the dice and tried out Old Hickory. Came up snake eyes.

I threw cranks, roostertails, and jigs with no luck. The TWRA was out checking creels and when I asked him for tips, he declined. "No one has had much of anything today." That made me feel better.

Permission from the wife to go fishing is hard to come by, so I think I'll stick to Priest next time. Might also give the fly rod a try at the Caney. I always chicken out, but maybe this is the time to learn...