PDA

View Full Version : Slow trolling motor

agelesssone
11-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Was fishing with Salty yesterday and noticed I wasn't getting the power out of my Minnkota 112 pound thrust Terrova that I normally would get.

It will usually pull my 22 ft Excel center console about 3.2 MPH but I was only getting 1.7-1.9 out of it yesterday. And these batteries are only six months old so they should still be in great condition.

When I got home and plugged in the onboard charger, I noticed that one battery was at full charge and two batteries were taking a charge (red lights, green light). Knowing that I had done a lot of trolling , I knew the one battery should not be fully charged so I inspected the hookups.

Apparently when I did the last mods to the boat and had all the batteries out (four batteries), I had failed to correctly rewire the batteries in series. I had left one of the batteries out of the string, meaning I was only getting 24 volts to my trolling motor instead of the 36 volts required for it to run properly.

I went to the front of the boat and turned the trolling motor on high and it sounded very "mundane" as in lackluster performance.

I corrected the "miswiring", went to the front and turned the trolling motor on high again and, man, what a difference! Almost blew my hat off!

So, long story short, just goes to show, no matter how many times we have done things, there is always the possibility of "operator error".

Looking forward to my next time on the water and regaining my lost speed.

SAMBOLIE
11-05-2014, 03:49 PM
Have you read the book called "Trolling motor basics for DUMB ASSES" ?

agelesssone
11-05-2014, 04:09 PM
Never heard of it! Would you loan me your copy?

TNtroller
11-05-2014, 04:38 PM
It's amazing how we can make mistakes like that when we "know" what we are doing. ;)

TroutFiend
11-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Have you read the book called "Trolling motor basics for DUMB ASSES" ?

Bahaaaaa!! 😂

I am glad you got it fixed, I probably would have let the smoke out of it.

FOXZILLA
11-06-2014, 09:05 AM
never heard of it! Would you loan me your copy?

ha!!!

SAMBOLIE
11-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Never heard of it! Would you loan me your copy?

Throwed it away. It only had words and no pichers.